WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Pack: Dana Designs ArcFlex Terraplane
    Weight: Don't know. Don't care.
    The Terraplane works for me.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wayne

Images

ULA Circuit.

But you're doing it wrong. Seriously. If your base weight is 28 pounds right now, and food and water pushes that to 40+, then you really do need that Aether 60. Getting a lighter pack won't help -- it'll save 2 pounds, so now you're at 38 total weight, and there aren't many (any?) 2 pound packs that will carry that in any comfort.

Better to get that base weight to 15 or 18 and look for that 2 pound pack. I'd recommend the Circuit
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    how much weight can you carry in this?
    the heaviest I had it was about thirty with seven days of food, four lbs of water and eight lbs of gear. It was too much until I ate it down to about 25lb. The other issue is the volume is perfect for five days worth of food so I had to get creative to hold the first two days. In this scenario I had about six lbs in the hip belt pockets helping to distribute the weight, so it can comfortably hold 20 lbs on my back. Hope that makes sense.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    the heaviest I had it was about thirty with seven days of food, four lbs of water and eight lbs of gear. It was too much until I ate it down to about 25lb. The other issue is the volume is perfect for five days worth of food so I had to get creative to hold the first two days. In this scenario I had about six lbs in the hip belt pockets helping to distribute the weight, so it can comfortably hold 20 lbs on my back. Hope that makes sense.
    well im definitely in the market for a new pack. ive been using an atmos 65 whcich is now a bit big for 3 season hiking( im usually around 25lbs with food and water for 5 days), and the hipbelt is just a tad too big for me after 3 or 4 days on the trail,i love the pack, was thinking of just changiing to an atmos50, butt ill have to see if the hipbelt issue is still there. the other pack im considering is the ula circuit, lotta guys seem to like it, but im glad this thread was started, hadnt heard much about mountain laurel packs till you mentioned it. thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    well im definitely in the market for a new pack. ive been using an atmos 65 whcich is now a bit big for 3 season hiking( im usually around 25lbs with food and water for 5 days), and the hipbelt is just a tad too big for me after 3 or 4 days on the trail,i love the pack, was thinking of just changiing to an atmos50, butt ill have to see if the hipbelt issue is still there. the other pack im considering is the ula circuit, lotta guys seem to like it, but im glad this thread was started, hadnt heard much about mountain laurel packs till you mentioned it. thanks
    Look at one of the models with a larger volume than the burn. The burn is very small. It is great if you have a low volume load which I do but if was using a tent vs tarp then I would upsize with very little weight penalty. I also like that MLD makes lightweight packs using dyneema. My burn has over 4000 miles on it and still has a few more.

Journal Entries

ULA circuit - over 20 lbs
    ULA Ohm original - 22.5 oz - under 20 lbs

OP. You've got ULA Catalyst written all over you (right now anyways)...

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    ULA Circuit.

But you're doing it wrong. Seriously. If your base weight is 28 pounds right now, and food and water pushes that to 40+, then you really do need that Aether 60. Getting a lighter pack won't help -- it'll save 2 pounds, so now you're at 38 total weight, and there aren't many (any?) 2 pound packs that will carry that in any comfort.

Better to get that base weight to 15 or 18 and look for that 2 pound pack. I'd recommend the Circuit
    To all: Thank you for all the responses. For the most part, this is the information I was seeking. I was looking for raw data. I find raw data much more useful than opinions. Raw data is reality and opinion is often just fantasy.

To bigcranky: Whenever I see you reply to a subject, I slow down a read carefully. Your posts are blunt, to the point, and often very helpful. My hike is unique. I am doing a slow walk across Maine. This walk incorporates a few luxury items that would not normally be carried on a thru hike. For this reason, I will not be able to lower my base weight much more. I will not mention the luxury items because it is not the point of the questions and I am not seeking opinion on them. Although I was not looking for opinion, your post has given me the answer I sought. Thank you.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I carry an Ohm 2.0 with a cold weather base of just under 10 lbs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    My hike is unique. I am doing a slow walk across Maine. This walk incorporates a few luxury items that would not normally be carried on a thru hike. For this reason, I will not be able to lower my base weight much more.
    This sounds like fun. And thanks for the kind words.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GA-ME 2011
    Images

You say you want to cut pack weight but you're not willing to cut the rest of your gear weight?. You won't be happy putting 40 pounds in a 2 pound pack.

I use a Granite Gear Crown 60 at 2.2 pounds and carry about 12 pounds base weight depending on the season. Your gear probably won't fit in it or be comfortable.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

REI Flash 65 at around 3 pounds. Over 400 miles during three good section hikes, and still looks new. I carry between 25 and 35 pounds total.

Images

ULA Catalyst, 2 lbs. 11oz. Very comfortable and it does adjust well to different weight loads.

I use a 68 liter (est) zpack that weighs 16 ounces. easily carries bear cans and full winter gear load.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    You say you want to cut pack weight but you're not willing to cut the rest of your gear weight?. You won't be happy putting 40 pounds in a 2 pound pack.

I use a Granite Gear Crown 60 at 2.2 pounds and carry about 12 pounds base weight depending on the season. Your gear probably won't fit in it or be comfortable.
    I said no such things. I did not say that I am seeking to put my gear in a 2 lb pack or that I am unwilling to cut the rest of my gear weight. I would gladly debate the non luxury items. I am doing everything I can to minimize their weights. But none of this was the point of my thread. I was curious what people are carrying for a pack.

Whiteblaze is hilarious. I have been clear that the contents in the pack is not the point of this thread, but invariably people debate the contents of the pack. Don't get me wrong. I am not being super critical. I do the same thing. We all want to help. I think many miss this intent. It is not lost on me. bigcranky did the same thing and was very helpful.

Your comments echo many other's. If I do a thru hike, my setup would be vastly different. I don't want to go into why I sought raw data beyond what I stated above, because that would be debated too. Thank you for your input. It was helpful too.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 02-28-2013 at 11:05. Reason: Horrible spellling abilities
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I have the Granite Gear Crown VC60. 2 lbs, 2 oz. It's a good comfortable pack that will easily carry 30 lbs.
    I also have the Granite Gear Crown 60 at 2lb-2oz, I believe it would be good to at least 35 lbs, but never carry that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post

Have not tried to prove this, but, I have a Deuter ACT 65+10 and an REI Flash 65 and I believe the Crown 60 will hold as much stuff...and much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Have not tried to prove this, but, I have a Deuter ACT 65+10 and an REI Flash 65 and I believe the Crown 60 will hold as much stuff...and much more comfortable.
    Another encouraging thing to me is how many packs people have. Let's see if the wife is as excited.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Another encouraging thing to me is how many packs people have. Let's see if the wife is as excited.
    Trial and error is an expensive way to learn, I have 5 packs and at least as many tents and sleeping bags, I'm planning a major gear sale in the near future, I probably have more gear in my basement than some outfitters.

Osprey Atmos, 65 L. Weight: I'm guessing it's pretty close to what the REI website said but I've never weighed it nor do I care to. It's what I have. It fit comfortably, I like it, and if I don't cram the full 65L of space it rolls/squishes down nicely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++