WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What pack do you use and how much does it weigh?

My pack and gear weight is at about 28 lbs (before food and water). I notice many people saying they are around 18lbs - 22lbs. I am struggling to lower my base weight. Rather than ask advice on individual items, I though I would ask about the pack only. I have a couple of luxury items that most don't carry and don't want it debate those items.

I am using an medium Osprey Aether 60 that comes in at 76oz (4lb 12oz). I suspect this is heavier than many used by others. What do you use and how much does it weigh? I know this type of question has been asked before. Most of the time I see people ask "what is the best" type questions. I don't think this returns entirely honest answers. Rather than ask what is your dream pack, I want to know what is your real pack.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 02-28-2013 at 02:14. Reason: spelling error
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I have the Granite Gear Crown VC60. 2 lbs, 2 oz. It's a good comfortable pack that will easily carry 30 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I have the Granite Gear Crown VC60. 2 lbs, 2 oz. It's a good comfortable pack that will easily carry 30 lbs.
    I also have the Granite Gear Crown 60 at 2lb-2oz, I believe it would be good to at least 35 lbs, but never carry that much.

Images

JanSport Klamath 75 - 3 lbs - 14 oz. Used to be an Alaska Tall - 7+ pounds !
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Mostly I use a Granite Gear Cornice, about 3 lbs, long out of production. Not sure of the volume, but small. For bulky winter loads, a Dana Terraplane (HEAVY!)
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Kelty Coyote 75 - Just under six pounds. I'm not thrilled about my choice now, it will be replaced eventually... But if I ever do a longer trip requiring a heavier base weight it will be good to have.

Images

Jansport Klamath 68 - 3 lbs 12 oz. Wishing it would hurry up and wear out so I can justify a ULA Circuit 2 lbs 7 oz to my wife.

Images

ULA Circuit here! Best pack I have had yet!!

Garlic
    Images

I'm still using an old discontinued Gossamer Gear G5 which weighs 9 oz. I am disappointed I can't replace it so I keep fixing it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

REI Flash 62 at 3 lbs, I have been interested in a cuban/carbon fiber frame pack here at under a pound http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

I needed a bigger pack for my JMT hike to accomodate my bear canister and I ended up buying a women's 85L Terrano (Men's 90L were out of stock at the time) from GoLite. It fits my 6' 3" frame nicely and weighs 3 lbs, 14 oz. For $99 this was a steal.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Okay, I'll play. Mariposa Plus with the internal frame. Weighs 22.3 ounces.

Jansport Katahdin 50 L weighing in at 2 lbs 1 oz. Base gear weight of 15 lbs. 14 oz.

Granite Gear Virga. Listed at 19oz. I have the long which weighs in at 23.5oz on my home scale.

osprey exos 58...2lbs 8oz....used on my 2011 sobo...easily carried 30lbs....best pack i have ever used and i own 6..gregory..go lite..lowe alpine...etc

Quote Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
    osprey exos 58...2lbs 8oz....used on my 2011 sobo...easily carried 30lbs....best pack i have ever used and i own 6..gregory..go lite..lowe alpine...etc
    +1 on the osprey exos. I have the 46. Its 2lbs 5 oz. think it's the perfect thru pack. Smartly thought out. Reduced weight in things like straps and webbing. Still has a few bells and whistles such as the hiking pole side holder. Also has lifetime warranty

My favorate pack is an REI CRUISE UL @ 3 lb 3 oz. Saddly, this is also a discontinued pack. Looks like I'll have about a 16 pound base weight when I get to Springer middle of April for a 500 mile walk. Fully loaded, headed out of town I rarely go over 23 pounds.

I also have an Osprey Aether 60 and it is my least favorate pack. For some reason it just doesn't fit me right. Plus it's really heavy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My main multiday/thru hiking pack is an Osprey Exos 34(34 oz), but i'm currently looking to upgrade to something frameless/lightly framed. I love the pack, but my base weight is low enough (8.5 with 2+ being backpack) where i dont need a framed pack.

problem is I can't find any packs I like!

I have a ULA Catalyst. Weight without the hand loops and hydration sleeve is 45.8 ounces. I bought this for my JMT thru hike. I probably would have gone with the Circuit if I wasn't planning lots of hiking in the Sierra with the bear can requirement. I have yet to fully test the pack but initial day hike with about 22 pounds (simulating base weight plus a couple days of food) went very well.

Images

ULA circuit, with hand loops removed & hydration sleeve got me down to 36.8 oz...great pack!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++