WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
    osprey exos 58...2lbs 8oz....used on my 2011 sobo...easily carried 30lbs....best pack i have ever used and i own 6..gregory..go lite..lowe alpine...etc
    +1 on the osprey exos. I have the 46. Its 2lbs 5 oz. think it's the perfect thru pack. Smartly thought out. Reduced weight in things like straps and webbing. Still has a few bells and whistles such as the hiking pole side holder. Also has lifetime warranty

Images

golite pinnacle 2 pounds
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Six Moon Designs Swift (3 season, extended trip) - 19oz
    Gossamer Gear G4 (winter, extended trip) - 16oz
    Gossamer Gear Murmer (3 season, weekend trips) - 11oz

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time -- Steven Wright

Images

SMD Swift. 15 ounces. my total (w/4 days of food & 2 gatorade bottles) 18 lbs.
    "find what you love and let it kill you" -c.b.

Journal Entries
    Images

Deuter 65+10 Internal frame-3lbs. 65-70 lbs. after gear & food. I am very comfortable with this pack,have no problems hiking up or down mts.

GoLite Pinnacle. The year/version that I own weighs 1 lb 9oz.. (Newer version is right at 2 lbs) I have hauled just over 40 lbs in it on a 10 day no resupply hike. (That is really pushing the limits of this pack). It is better at around the 20-25 lb weight. Over 30 starts putting some strain on the shoulders. It is over 70 liters in total size (at least according to the specification listed online).
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

I used a Moonbow Gearskin -- I trimmed it a bit and it weighs 709g/25oz. You can carry some crazy sized loads with this rig if needed.

For AT hiking with resupply every 3-6 days, would carry a Gossamer Gear Gorilla.
    For weekend trips other than winter, would carry a Gossamer Gear Murmur.

These lighter packs tend to be considerably smaller, so they are part of a whole gear system change.
    A relatively large pack that is still light would be the Gossamer Gear G4.

ULA also has some fairly high volume fairly light packs.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

After reading many many reviews and much forum cross referencing and input...and trying them on for fit....I found it was a close call between the VC 60 and the Osprey Exos....I settled on the Exos 46, more features and better price to weight ratio for my needs....couldn't tell you a thing about performance...it works really well in the packaging! My base weight will be around 12-13lbs depending on which camera I end up taking....

AT 2012

I use a gossamer gear mariposa plus without the aluminum stays (about 20 ounces) when I hike with my 15 degree sleeping bag/loads up to around 20 pounds total, and a gossamer gear murmur (about 9 ounces) when I hike with my 35 degree bag/loads up to around 15 pounds total.
    Lazarus

ULA Ohm 1.5lbs, duing the summer I'm under 10lbs before food and water, even in the winter I can usually keep total weight with food and water under 25lbs which is near max for this particular pack.

David

Images

Kelty Redwing 50 that was before hubby err I mean Santa visited the pound a few months back.
    Now I have a hiking buddy. He's a hybred dog, a Bassador so in his pack he only carries his brush, sleeping mat, coat, & water bowl. Now that I have to carry dog food and allot of it because we are slow hikers. Truthfully I was never that fast on the trail. In my daily life I walk or bike everywhere in the city so out in the wilderness I meander. I enjoy good meals that are low sodium & diabetic friendly.
    I dehydrate garden produce anyways so I'm taking that skill farther adding in freeze dried items & packing my own hiker meals. Also trading in a majority of my camping gear for UL items.

The Redwing is very comfortable for me a 5'5" hiker.

Images

MLD Burn listed at 11oz, but actually at about 13oz with custom pockets added for water and food on the hip belt.

Gregory Z55 at 3lb2oz....wouldn't trade it for anything.

Images

The Osprey Exos 46 has been my favorite pack, perfect size and reasonable weight, but I've found it not to carry well for me when I get over 25 pounds total weight (12 pounds base, 2 liters water, 8+ pounds of food). The waist belt is just too big for the large sized version that I need for my torso length. So, I finally listened to a lot of folks on here and sprung for the ULA Ohm 2.0, significantly lighter than the Exos, same or maybe a tad more usable volume, and it carries significantly better for me; shoulder straps are more comfortable plus you can get a "small" waist belt on a "large" torso-sized pack. Voila! ULA it is! (but still, the Exos is a fine pack, just that the ULA is better for my build).

Stir Fry

ULA Circuit is what I have now, But I just ordered a ULA Air-X using Cuben fiber. With all the extras removed the pack should be arround 28-29 oz. It water proof so I can also drop Pack cover, and with the buile in sleeping pad don't need one of those eather.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Images

I had the same pack as you and sold it yesterday. Excellent pack and I really liked it a lot but am trying to get my pack weight down, so looking to buy a new one soon. I really wanted to like the ULA packs but they just didn't fit me well, fit is a big plus if your doing some miles. Right now I am looking at the Elemental Horizon's pack the Kalais

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Rather than ask what is your dream pack, I want to know what is your real pack.
    Hey BirdBrain,
    Like many of us here, I own a few different packs. The ones I tend to revert on longer hikes (and not just weekend trips or climbs) are the Six Moons designs Essence (no longer manufactured), weighing 12 ounces (and intended for much lighter loads than yours) and the ULA CDT, weighing 17-ounces (when trimmed of all the fixings). At nearly 5-pounds, your pack can easily be replaced with a lighter one, and yet still be capable of carrying the load you have. The lighter packs, as I'm sure you know, are best with lighter loads, but I still manage 30 or so pounds with both my packs quite often. While my base weight is less than half of yours, I carry a lot of calories on board, so I can travel slowly!

Different packs for different situations/seasons/environments:

Zimmerbuilt custom, 45L, 31oz.
    ZPacks Blast 30, w/options, 16oz.
    Lowe Alpine Nanon 35/40, 38oz.
    Marmot Kompressor Summit, 28L, 23oz.

-Mark in St. Louis

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    MLD Burn listed at 11oz, but actually at about 13oz with custom pockets added for water and food on the hip belt.
    how much weight can you carry in this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++