WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default McAfee Knob- a must see in Virginia!

Just putting in a lil plug for a "must see" in VA. This is our hometown station going LIVE on the Knob! Funny!!

http://www.wdbj7.com/videogallery/71...Roanoke-County

Hope that link works....

It worked! Thanks for posting Nice report even though they mispronounced "Appalachian," LOL Too bad that Hikerhead wasn't up there when they filmed it.

The link does work, and thanks for posting. I'm really hoping to make it that far on my upcoming section.

"Day hikers, like myself, are called section hikers"
    Yeah...sure you are.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

It was great seeing the reporter's enthusiasm for the AT, and it was a cool demonstration of newer broadcasting technology.

Last time I was there, couldn't see past my out streached hand! Had a great view of the inside of a cloud though. Didn't even bother with the Tinker cliffs, took an old blue blaze by-pass trail which turned into an adventure of it's own.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    It was great seeing the reporter's enthusiasm for the AT, and it was a cool demonstration of newer broadcasting technology.
    Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Last time I was there, couldn't see past my out streached hand! Had a great view of the inside of a cloud though. Didn't even bother with the Tinker cliffs, took an old blue blaze by-pass trail which turned into an adventure of it's own.
    Darn it Slo-go'en... I always feel so bad when hikers hit the Knob in bad weather... the blue blaze that you went down was prob. the Andy Layne trail. That trail is terrible to climb up.. it's straight up to Tinker Cliffs not many switch backs.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Agree!

Darn it Slo-go'en... I always feel so bad when hikers hit the Knob in bad weather... the blue blaze that you went down was prob. the Andy Layne trail. That trail is terrible to climb up.. it's straight up to Tinker Cliffs not many switch backs.
    Well, I had been there before on a good day. At least I had a good day on Dragons tooth, which was more important. Looks like I took the Lamberts Meadow trail at Brickeys gap. Hadn't been maintained or blazed in a LONG time, so keeping track of it took some doing. I like getting off the highway and doing the back roads once in a while.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Well, I had been there before on a good day. At least I had a good day on Dragons tooth, which was more important. Looks like I took the Lamberts Meadow trail at Brickeys gap. Hadn't been maintained or blazed in a LONG time, so keeping track of it took some doing. I like getting off the highway and doing the back roads once in a while.
    Good!! Yeah, I love the Knob but Dragon's tooth is amazing as is Tinker Cliffs.

There is a blue blaze trail that by passes Tinker Cliffs and rejoins the AT on the north side of the cliffs near the shelter. I have hiked it several times myself. At times it can be a little difficult to follow. The Andy Layne Trail I think is a yellow blazed trail that leaves the AT and goes down the mountain to route 779.
    That is an old route of the AT going over to North Mtn.

Images

Hikermom, heading back down for another dose of VA AT, a bit south this time. Hopefully I wouldn't have the ice from last January but I will be lugging my micro spikes just in case. Don't feel like scooting down the trail on my butt this trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Hikermom, heading back down for another dose of VA AT, a bit south this time. Hopefully I wouldn't have the ice from last January but I will be lugging my micro spikes just in case. Don't feel like scooting down the trail on my butt this trip!
    I hear ya Malto.. I still can't believe that weather turned on you like it did. Unbelievable! You know if you are lugging ur spikes, you won't need them! BTW.. the Parkway, going north, hasn't reopened since you were here in January. Crazy! Let me know how your next trip turns out... it has to be better this time. Have fun, Malto.

nice piece... thanks for sharing

Images

I had a glorious day for McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. The weather turned very cold, very windy, very rainy and socked in the next day. It was a bit treacherous going up and over the exposed rock. Thus, Dragon's Tooth was out of the question.

Images

Glad you enjoyed the vistas. That 20 mile hike from Catawba , Rt.311 to Daleville can't be beat in good weather.
    Camp atop of Tinker Cliffs and take in the lights of Roanoke from the rocks looking left in the distance.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

The Tooth, the Knob, The Cliff's,,,, yeah, a great section indeed!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Very nice, but I'm disappointed to learn that my 2-3 week hikes only make me a day hiker

I like how he describes the view of the valley but won't get his fatass out of the shot.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Best pic on the AT-Iconic....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

McAfee is likely the most photographed spot on the AT other than that Katahdin sign.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++