WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jarofkla View Post
    Ha, next time you're up there post a sign. I passed 7 campsites on the cliffs on the way to the shelter.
    We post signs. People rip them down. The cliffs are a beautiful place with some nice views, as is Dragons Tooth and The Knob. The fire rings are damaging. We as trail maintainers work very hard and many hours clearing trail, posting signs and cleaning up campsites and tearing down fire rings. That section of trail from Rout 311 to Daleville is heavily used as you could probably tell. This is a very challenging section of trail for our club to maintain. I did not mean to come across as some type of trail police. I am just trying to do my part to protect the area as best as possible. Speaking of signs....at the trail head in Daleville and at route 311 there are additional signs and information indicating where camping and tenting are allowed. I would like to invite you and any others to join out club for a work hike to work on the trail in that area. Our work hikes are listed on our clubs (RATC) meet up page.

mtntopper Thank you for what you do. I appreciate being able to hike the trail that is well maintained. My experience from Craig Creek Road to Bobblet's Gap was a positive one. The one concern I had involved the many fire rings I saw through the weekend. I guess I'm used to Shenandoah and their very limited allowance of campfire locations, this section had a large number of fire pits in comparison. Also, On my way to Tinker cliffs I had to put out a smoldering ember near the trail. Without the backing of a national park, what authority protects the trail from overuse?

Also, You did not come off as trail police. I understand the balance that needs to be managed between use/comfort and preservation. I tend to side on the preservation side myself. If I didn't live so far away, I'd consider assisting in trail maintenance. I normally have to support your efforts through donations.
    Section hiking since 2011...

Track me LIVE Memorial Day weekend at:
    http://www.hikeforhomes.org

[QUOTE=jarofkla;1974559]mtntopper Thank you for what you do. I appreciate being able to hike the trail that is well maintained. My experience from Craig Creek Road to Bobblet's Gap was a positive one. The one concern I had involved the many fire rings I saw through the weekend. I guess I'm used to Shenandoah and their very limited allowance of campfire locations, this section had a large number of fire pits in comparison. Also, On my way to Tinker cliffs I had to put out a smoldering ember near the trail. Without the backing of a national park, what authority protects the trail from overuse?

Also, You did not come off as trail police. I understand the balance that needs to be managed between use/comfort and preservation. I tend to side on the preservation side myself. If I didn't live so far away, I'd consider assisting in trail maintenance. I normally have to support your efforts through donations.

Thank you so much for understanding. I am glad you had a positive experience on your hike. Thank you for putting out the smoldering embers. So many people fail to do so. If you are ever in the area again and need some help with a shuttle please feel free to ask, I will do what I can.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mtntopper your with the RATC? I am hobbs that was in cookerhikers photo's he posted on the thread..I am good friends with hikermom...I just by chance on a whim came to WB..It's been along time since I posted here..But you will be happy to know this coming year you will have a new set of hands to help..I just joined the RATC this past month..Hope to meet you and others..Thanks everyone for posting your cool pic's...Love this area....
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Tinker cliffs is far better than Mcafees unless you go at a weird hour, or unless you like feeling like you're at the mall.

OP link is a 404 (not found) now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++