WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 100 Mile Wilderness in September

How many people are out there? Is it more crowded than earlier in the summer? Less? the same? I know the NOBOs push through about then. I am just wondering about everyone else.

Do any of the water sources dry up?

Any other September considerations on favor of or against a 100 mile wilderness hike.

My 100 mile wilderness experience is a 2009 SOBO thru hike that started on June 14th. It was quite the epic rain year. I am considering a return to experience this stretch of Maine with different conditions.

I hiked it entirely in September ('05) and wouldn't say it was crowded. A few shelters were full but others only had 1 or 2. Also camped alone at Sidney Tappen campsite and could have camped between shelters alone if desired.

Water was plentiful - can't imagine the 100 Mile Wilderness ever drying up.

Trail journal here

Images

Started the end of August last year and hiked the 100 mile sobo... go for it!
    the good part is seeing all the nobos so excited about finishing

Was up there 3rd week of September last year, plenty of water, solid stream of NOBO hikers, views were great, foliage was ok, Dang cold on a few of the mornings. Would do it again. Nice thing about a good hard frost, no bugs.

I finished up my last section hike last June and had every shelter to myself. No flies either - probably due to the warm winter they came out earlier.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

++ New Posts ++