WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default who carries Crocs

I like to carry Crocs for water crossing and camp shoes....Anyone else?

Images

Crocs seem to be popular among thru hikers. Quite a few hikers on the AT last year that i met carried them. I personally didn't carry crocs or any other type of extra footwear on my thru hike.
    " Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

Images

Slides

I just watched a show about sherpas. They'd wear slides when they weren't on the snow. Even while trekking long distances and carrying a heavy load.

Garlic
    Images

No. My hiking shoes dry out quickly.

I just heard about a technique for those who want to keep shoes dry. Remove the insoles, put them in your socks, and use those for stream crossings with your shoes around your neck. I did it recently, crossing the Gila on rocks, and it worked fine.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I do. I like getting out of my boots in the PM. They ARE slippery when old and worn, so be careful. I kept the boots on until water was gotten and/or any other long-distance movement in camp. They are nice in the AM when packing up. I never got to any deep stream crossings, so I never got to use them for that.

The strap on one broke and as they were several years old and worn, got a new pair from my wife. They're put up until my next attempt in 2016.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Ditto what old hiker said. Do love sticking something on my feet first thing in the am real quick and love them in the evening around the campsite. Feet and boots both need some time to air out. They are NOT so great when they're wet though. Contemplated putting bathtub strips in them to stop that but have not gotten around to it yet.

I carry them as well (generic copies fwiw). They are good for slipping on/kicking off hands-free when getting in & out of the hammock. Ditto the above comments about getting out of the hiking shoes around camp. If weather is dry I will put on dry sleeping socks with the crocks when knocking around camp site in the evening. Much more comfortable for me. I swtched to some even lighter moccasins once, but those required a hand to slip them on, so I prefer crocs.

I also carry them on all my hikes. Real comfy in camp. Easy to slip on when making a midnight bathroom call.

They are also a good idea in public showers. There should be a federal law requiring them for all hikers...

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    No. My hiking shoes dry out quickly.

I just heard about a technique for those who want to keep shoes dry. Remove the insoles, put them in your socks, and use those for stream crossings with your shoes around your neck. I did it recently, crossing the Gila on rocks, and it worked fine.
    Yeah, that's good! I can see it working

The bath tub slip protection sounds like a good idea. I swore years ago I would never be caught wearing crocks but I wore them every day for 5 months for my hike. Walmart sells cheap ones for like 8 bucks.

Images

I carry camp clogs -- the old Waldies brand that I got in Neels Gap maybe 10 years ago. Whenever I leave them at home to save weight, I always end up wishing I had them.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Yes, I carry an old beat-up pair of crocs as camp shoes. I wear them a lot at home, too.

Aren't Crocs a little bit heavy? I've got some cheap adidas sandals that are molded as one piece and extremely light. The only downside is that they don't strap by themselves onto my backpack.

Images

I also carry them for camp, town & stream crossings.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Images

I carried them from Maine to Erwin, TN. I got rid of them as I was shedding weight toward the end. I used them every day while I had them. I didn't miss them at all after I got rid of them.

I have knock off ones from Wally World or wherever, they work fine. Like others, I sometimes hike in them and they are great for water walkin'. The ones I have weigh in at 213 grams for the pair I believe.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I still carry the same pair of Crocs I've had from 12 years--bought mine b4 they became so popular.

Next pair will have the ankle strap to keep them on when doing water crossings.

Cool

Haven't been there yet, but I do...
    I'll have a pair of these Teva strapped to my Terraplane. I reckon they will be good as an emergency replacement in the unlikely event that something awful happens to my Pivetta 5 boots. Heck, based on what I'm reading here about footwear, I could do the AT in my Teva Terra sandals.
    I swore off Crocs after I darn near crippled myself in a pair of Crocs. To be fair, the injury was 50% Dumb on my part & 50% Stupid on the Crocs part.

Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    I carried them from Maine to Erwin, TN. I got rid of them as I was shedding weight toward the end. I used them every day while I had them. I didn't miss them at all after I got rid of them.
    But they missed you badly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++