WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Newbie alert! Why can't I find more posts re Bear Canisters for the AT?

Are my search skills poor or do ppl not use them on the AT? I've seen posts about hanging your food, but I'm not a fan of that, not only because I don't like to toss my cookies (), but also because I don't like hiking with food that's easily accessed.

I realize that bear canisters can still attract bears (although I plan on lining it with an opsak). I've had a bear encounter, and mice encounters and a raccoon encounter (in my tent....my fault), and I'd really like to keep them away.

But hanging a bear canister is IMO, silly, as if they fall, they'll break...thus my choice would be to bury it nearby.

So what are your thoughts on bear canisters on the AT?

You should probably consider all advice, solicited or otherwise. You will learn faster that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusinsusan View Post
    Are my search skills poor or do ppl not use them on the AT? I've seen posts about hanging your food, but I'm not a fan of that, not only because I don't like to toss my cookies (), but also because I don't like hiking with food that's easily accessed.

I realize that bear canisters can still attract bears (although I plan on lining it with an opsak). I've had a bear encounter, and mice encounters and a raccoon encounter (in my tent....my fault), and I'd really like to keep them away.

But hanging a bear canister is IMO, silly, as if they fall, they'll break...thus my choice would be to bury it nearby.

Hold the phone, your suggesting that a canister designed to withstand the terrific forces from Ursus Americanis would break if dislodged from it's lofty perch...come again!

But No, I don't use one, hope I don't ever have to.....most want to cut weight, not add. And as far as the bury-in thing, I'll let someone else beat ya up on that one.......

Trolling for dollars $22,000

Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-24-2013 at 02:33. Reason: schspellin

Digging a hole to bury my food from bears each night??

If you use a certified bear proof canister, it is bear proof and does not need to be buried or hung. You do not need to line it with a opsak. In fact, a bear canister is required for a 5 mile streach of the AT between Springer Mt and Neels gap in GA. There have been several threads about that which should have come up.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Troll alert

Why do trolls always play themselves, ya gotta hang, be chill, tell a few jokes.....then ya Zing em...but No No No you got it F****** wrong!..First you pump it up, then you fill the cup, then you drink it up...Kids!
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-24-2013 at 03:10. Reason: I always forget the grin...leaves the wrong impression

Why can't I find more more posts re bear canisters on the AT

But to be fare, I'll answer the question; Cause No body want's to use them.....

Images

True that nobody wants to use them, but search should have came up in Blood Mt zone. In my hiking I have learned that both hikers & bears are amateurs on AT. Out west bears have learned to fold car doors down, rip open trunks & even take a fall to break a branch to get food. I even had one friend woken up to a slicing sound & smelling bear breath in his tent when he used his food bag as a pillow.

Hopefully we can nip it in the butt before they learn out east, but fear to many lazy people will let bears learn people = food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    True that nobody wants to use them, but search should have came up in Blood Mt zone. In my hiking I have learned that both hikers & bears are amateurs on AT. Out west bears have learned to fold car doors down, rip open trunks & even take a fall to break a branch to get food. I even had one friend woken up to a slicing sound & smelling bear breath in his tent when he used his food bag as a pillow.

Hopefully we can nip it in the butt before they learn out east, but fear to many lazy people will let bears learn people = food.
    Yep, it's harder to debrief a bear than it is to ring the dinner bell...hangin is probably the best answer....food that is, black gold Texas tea....never mind.

Images

Most food bag hangs on AT look more like a bear smorgasbord. To low, close to tree, etc. A proper hang takes time. Not that much with practice, but we all get lazy.

wow. Nice. Didn't think I'd need my flame-saving undies. My bad.

erm.....but thanks slo-go'en.

So can't the bear smell the food in the canister? If so, then it doesn't go in the tent, right? I've read here somewhere that someone put their dirty clothes on top of their canister and kept it in their tent.

And if not in the tent, then outside, right? And different areas have suggestions/rules for the distance from the tent, yes? erm, slo-go'en?

Well did you read this one? White Blaze search can be a bit tricky

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...rs#post1154732
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-24-2013 at 04:08.

Bear canisters are not necessary on the AT, with the exception of the mandated 5 mi. stretch at Blood Mountain that is easily avoided by just walking through. Very few people carry bear canisters on the AT because they are heavy, bulky, and unnecessary.

There are many threads here containing religious arguments about how to deal with your food on the AT. At this point, bear canister devotees have not reached sufficient numbers to qualify.
    Last edited by jeffmeh; 02-24-2013 at 09:46.

Images

Bear canisters are used on the AT because they rent required (other than blood Mtn) and because the need is not as great as it is out west.

canisters are design to survive being knocker around by bears. They are sized large enough to keeps bears from chewing into them. So hanging or burying is not needed.

Images

Oops "not used" and "aren't required" in first sentence. Wow, I'm still asleep.

Images

If you are not a troll, and are serious about carrying a bearcan, you don't hang it, you just place it somewhere so it won't roll away if I bear tries to get hold of it. That's what folks do out west where bear cans are required. near a tree, a rock, downed branches, etc. As others have said, the only required spot is 5 miles in GA. But if you feel more comfortable with a can than hanging, go for it.

they're not needed on the AT

I have ordered a Bearikade for my upcoming John Muir Trail hike and I plan to use it for a section hike through the length of Shenandoah National Park this spring. Is it necessary? Probably not, but Shenandoah has a very high density of bears and I want to camp away from shelters when possible plus I would like to simulate the load I will carry on the JMT. So I'll use it. It is two pounds. If I was planning a AT thru I would not use a canister.

Bears bury there food because they prefer rotting meat to eat,you bury your food ,they will smell it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++