WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Is it worth carrying a pack cover?

So you may be thinking this is the stupidest question, but is it really worth carrying a pack cover? Someone told me that you're pack will still get wet in the back. This got me to thinking, is it really worth it? Ive used my pack cover before, but wondered if it is worth it on a long exhibition? I was recommended a hiking poncho that would cover me and my pack. Thoughts on that as well please. Minor notes: I have my down sleeping bag in a water-proof stuff sack.

In the wet east, I would go with a trash compactor bag inside the pack, and www.thepacka.com.

Images

I find them fairly useless. I keep my stuff that I don't want wet inside trash bags and zip locks.

I went the big poncho route once, on my '07 Long Trail thruhike. It kept the back contents dry for several days of rain. But they're not easy to put on if you're alone. It helps greatly when someone else can help you to make sure everything is covered.

You can also do as Brian suggested and put everything inside the pack in baggies of various kinds.

What kind of "exhibition" are you referring to? Are you giving a program about hiking or participating in a show of some sort?

Images

the generally accepted method is trash compactor bag inside your pack. split down the middle as far as opinions on covers. i use one, feel it keeps the pack itself from getting water logged, but many prefer to do without.
    depends a little on what pack you have, too.
    cover or no, my pack still gets wet. maybe not as wet, but still wet.

Stir Fry

Its another layer of protection. On White Blaze alot will so no, but on the trail most seam to have one. If it raining enough not much will keep you pack dry. I use stuff sacks a pack liner and a pack cover.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

i use a rain cover on the outside...a waterproof liner on the inside and put my down bag in a garbage bag....the three layerd system weigh 9 0z.....used this system on my 2011 sobo and was glad i did as it rained over 50 days...ran into a lot of folks with wet gear...some folks said it was overkill..two questions...do you like sleeping in a wet down bag that won't keep you warm? and how much do you recon a wet down bag weighs?

I find a decent size and thickness plastic trash bag and make a slit for each shoulder strap.

If it's a light rain, or it's warm out, I'll make a hybrid pack cover with hood, by taking my rain jacket and putting it over my pack and tying the arms through the shoulder straps. Works great.

I've been thinking about the zpacks liner for my ULA catalsyt. Pricy at $39. What do you all think of this?

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    I've been thinking about the zpacks liner for my ULA catalsyt. Pricy at $39. What do you all think of this?

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml
    Mine works perfectly! Hiking all day in the rain and not a drop inside.

Ditto on the tripple layer princable. I would never put a trash bag on the outside of anything as it tends to get torn up and doesn't last long. I know Sly qualified that by saying decent size and thickness, but even a 5 mill bag isn't that rugged.

As for ponchos. I've owned several and can never get them to work for me. Just too much of a PITA to deal with.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

At Walmart in the storage area you can find a XXL Ziplock bag big enough to put a large quilt in about three feet by 2 feet will slide right down into pack.
    "The Mountains Call and I Must Answer!!"

Quote Originally Posted by LAS View Post
    So you may be thinking this is the stupidest question, but is it really worth carrying a pack cover?
    not a dumb question and yes it really is worth carrying a pack cover. anybody who tells you different doesn't hike in the rain much

My wife and I both used name-brand pack covers during our thru, and when it would rain steadily throughout the day, the inside of the bottom of our pack covers actually filled with water from all the runoff, so the bottom of our packs were in standing (and sloshing) water for the rest of the day. I still always take one with me because it's very light and it's nice to keep the pack dry externally when you can, but you definitely need something lining the inside (not just individual waterproof stuffsacks IMHO). We just use a heavy duty trash bag, it does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    In the wet east, I would go with a trash compactor bag inside the pack, and www.thepacka.com.
    Or you can get this for half the price: http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx

Easily fits me at 6' 3" and my 85L pack.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I will bring one on my thru hike because the majority of rainy days in the East are of the light to moderate variety. The pack cover is somewhat effective in these kinds of rain because it helps keeps your pack from getting saturated and the rain from finding its way into your pack. Of course nothing works in a soaker, but it doesn't hurt to have a cover in those situations too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Ditto on the tripple layer princable. I would never put a trash bag on the outside of anything as it tends to get torn up and doesn't last long. I know Sly qualified that by saying decent size and thickness, but even a 5 mill bag isn't that rugged.
    With a little duct tape I've had one last quite awhile. When they get too torn I just replace it with another.

I've also used a blaze orange sil-nylon pack cover which works great in hunting season and wet/dry road walks.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Or you can get this for half the price: http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx

Easily fits me at 6' 3" and my 85L pack.
    Certainly. That said, the Packa is not really comparable to a poncho, as it is a full-sleeved, fitted, rain jacket with an integrated pack cover. In my opinion, it is far superior, particularly where you are likely to encounter high winds and would prefer not to become a kite. It is also usable as a pack cover alone when you do not wish to deploy the jacket. These are very different tools.

Images

I use a pack cover, and a cuben roll-top liner. My pack has large mesh pockets on the outside, and I like putting useful stuff in those pockets, stuff I'd prefer not get soaked in a downpour. So, a silnylon or cuben pack cover is useful, for me anyway.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Is it worth it to carry one? If you're using one to keep your gear dry - no. They don't work very well. If you're using it to keep your pack from gaining 2 lbs of water weight - yes.

Ryan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++