WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I like them for dual use.LT 012.jpgOnce I even made a small tub with the help of a few resupply boxes at Kennedy Meadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I find a decent size and thickness plastic trash bag and make a slit for each shoulder strap.

If it's a light rain, or it's warm out, I'll make a hybrid pack cover with hood, by taking my rain jacket and putting it over my pack and tying the arms through the shoulder straps. Works great.
    +1.... that's what I do 2. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    Its another layer of protection. On White Blaze alot will so no, but on the trail most seam to have one. If it raining enough not much will keep you pack dry. I use stuff sacks a pack liner and a pack cover.
    Stir Fry, +1 all around. I especially appreciate your point about how lot on WB many say no to pack cover, but on the AT most have them.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Journal Entries
    Images

Nope - put you bag in a waterproof sil nylon dry bag.. everything else... doesn't matter. Garbage bag inside the pack is cheaper.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wet gear is heavy gear. My Zpack cuben pack cover weighs less than a ounce.

Is it worth carrying a pack cover...Yes. But let me expand...sure why not!

Journal Entries

Zpacks are nice but cost $38.95 and weigh 1.8 oz.. I use a pack cover and a Glad Trash Compactor Bag, cost about $1.00 and weigh 2.4 oz.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Thanks for your help guys! It sounds like it is at least worth while using one. I have a large dry bag that I could line the inside of my bag with. Worse comes to worse, I could always ditch the cover along the way.

It is worth carrying a pack cover and it it worth carrying a raincoat, but not both. Get a Packa. Just my humble opinion.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    It is worth carrying a pack cover and it it worth carrying a raincoat, but not both. Get a Packa. Just my humble opinion.
    Went on a trip with my first Packa in December. I felt the sil version was a no-go for me from my arms getting soaked from sweat, but I loved the design. I tried to get Eddie to make me a custom breathable cuben version but decided to get the heavier eVent model.

I've done enough miles with the eVent version to know it does a good job of keeping me dry from the outside AND inside. IMO, worth the weight penalty.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Compactor bag inside the pack is the way I go.

I used a pack cover until Virginia...It lost it's waterproofness....I started using a compactor bag and never looked back.

Absolutely. Don't leave home without it.

I put my sleeping bag in a stuff sack, my clothes in a stuff sack, and both of those go in a trash compactor bag in the bottom of my pack. Next comes my food in a Sea-to-Summit ultra sil sack and 3 other small S-t-S sacks....one for kitchen stuff, one for hygiene stuff, and one as a ditty bag for all misc stuff. In the outside mesh pockets of my pack go items that can get wet...tent in stuff sack, rain gear, water bottle, fuel bottle, food bag hanging gear, Aqua Mira, and DEET. I do not use a pack cover and have never wished I had one. In a heavy long rain, my pack will accumulate water inside, but I just lean over to the left and then to the right, it drains out the bottom, and off I go. Nothing inside the trash compactor bag or the stuff sacks ever got wet on my AT end-to-ender.

Like some of the others, I'll use the tri-fecta approach: cloths & sleeping bag in waterproof dry bags (Sea to summit), trash compactor bag to line the pack, and a pack cover to keep things on the outside 'less wet.'

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    not a dumb question and yes it really is worth carrying a pack cover. anybody who tells you different doesn't hike in the rain much
    Baloney. It's a matter of personal choice. There are different ways to keep pack contents dry, a pack cover is just one of them. I personally don't use one.

Images

here is the system:

sleeping bag, clothes, other essentials - in dry bags
    other stuff - kitchen, rain jacket, non essentials - just loose in pack
    inside of pack - lined with compactor bag
    spare contractor bag kept for putting your legs in for warmth - surprisingly warm
    pack covered with UL pack cover - a wet pack adds about 1.5 lbs in water weight

a pack cover isn't foolproof in keeping stuff dry like a dry bag and contractor bags but it is the RIGHT tool for keeping your pack dry and your stuff more / less dry which is important

For me it is more a matter of everything freezing once wet, keeping everything dry as possible when hiking in freezing temps I would think is paramount...no?
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-24-2013 at 20:31. Reason: didn't mean to quote, just my take

is a compactor bag the same thing as a trash bag?

Journal Entries

I have found that a pack cover goes a long way to keeping the pack dry in rain. It is wonderful to get though a rain and take off the pack cover to find that there is no wet spot on the pack. Does this always work - no, does it work enough to offset it's weight, in the NE at least yes to me it does.

Quote Originally Posted by LAS View Post
    is a compactor bag the same thing as a trash bag?
    Almost. They have them in the trash bag section at most grocery stores. They are about 4 times as thick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++