WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best lightweight pot for cat stove?

So what is your opinion? I've read that the pot needs to be short and wide so that the flames aren't going up the sides and have also read that this didn't matter. I'm more concerned about weight and functionality than price.

Any wider and shorter pots will boil faster than tall and thinner one on any stove or flame, cat stove or not.

The faster pots are wide kettles. But less versatile. If you just need 2 cups of boiling water (which is the case for several pot and fry pan carrier) a kettle is a good option. I switch between pot/fry pan and kettle, depending where I go and solo or not and if tent only or small cabins along the trail. With your girlfriend, a kettle is cool. Hot water for late night tea or chocolate. Cosy. But when solo, pot and frypan.

But again, any wider and closed pot is faster. Try a kettle setup to see if it suit you. The best kettle imho is the Primus Litech. 20$. Very very light and sturdy. You will use it as an option. Trust me. Especially with your gf.
    once I dug an early grave, to find a better land
    she just smiled and laughed at me, and took her rules back again

I'd guess the 'squat' Evernew .9L pot.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/evern...ot-eca252.html

This is the one that Andrew Skurka uses (minus the handles that he cut off) with his cat stove.

The setup I still have to try is my 0.9L kettle and a small frypan. No pot at all. Same weight. Kettle for water and for pasta or couscous and frypan for little mushrooms and stuff. Plus you can hang tbe kettle over a fire and you enjoy the uber convenience of water pouring and cosiness.
    once I dug an early grave, to find a better land
    she just smiled and laughed at me, and took her rules back again

Images

the msr titan kettle works great.

Images

Default re: Best lightweight pot for cat stove?

My first time out with a Supercat I used a wide aluminum pot from one of my cook sets. You can find a similar one inthe cheap $6 scout cooksets at discount stores. Just take the pot and lid and leave the pan and bowl at home. The wide pots are more unstable if you don't get them centered and/or cook on an uneven surface.

I later used an aluminum Esbit 700ml cup which heated water just fine. This is my preferred pot.

I have also made an in between pot using a stew can. I used a side cutting opener and attached a wood knob to the lid using a stainless steel screw. The stew can has a plastic lining like the beer can pots, so never let it go dry on a lit stove.

Also, last year, some folks reported Walmart carrying an aluminum cup that also worked well. I've never found one in any Walmart I've visited, but I keep looking.

You might try some of these at home and find your preferred pot.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

The Walmart aluminum cups are from IMUSA, and come in two sizes. Look for them in the kitchen gadget aisle, near the doo-dads like condiment cups and tortilla warmers.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Isn't all pot lightweight?...oh, you mean that kind of pot! Seriously though, it depends on what you are going to cook in the pot. Meaning are you mostly going to be boiling water, or actually cooking meals with it.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I'd guess the 'squat' Evernew .9L pot.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/evern...ot-eca252.html

This is the one that Andrew Skurka uses (minus the handles that he cut off) with his cat stove.
    +1
    without having done any formal comparison testing, I like this pot that is a bit wider than tall, but not too squat. A similar but less expensive aluminum option is the Stanco greasepot with some diy lid modification.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Default Best lightweight pot for cat stove?

Mostly plan to boil water for coffee or ramen. I did neglect to mention that I wanted to have everything stowe in the pot and with the cat stove being so small, the larger diameter pots will allow for more move around space=noise= drive me insane! Any suggestions on how to remedy this without increasing weight too much? I was thinking maybe the squishy bowl and cup...anybody used these? Are they too flimsy?
    Sorry for all the late questions, maybe should have started a new thread... Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far!

To cut down on noise, put your cat stove in a ziploc. Do the same for your fuel bottle, if it'll fit. Tuck some tea bags or coffee or whatever you use in there too. Spare lighter... piece of plastic netting from an onion bag for a pot scrubber/rock bag for hanging your food. Lots of little doo-dads you can stuff in there to keep it from rattling around.

I use a Snow Peak 1400, and keep the fuel in an old contact lens solution bottle nested purr-fectly in the cat stove.

Here is a great pot... http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-...lat-bottom.php

also, if you reach out to NutBrown on here she makes fantastic 2-cup Fosters pots, too.

Images

MSR Quick 1 titanium is 6.75" in diameter, only 3.75" tall, so not huge, and I like the less blocky form in my pack. Is great with alc stoves.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used a 600ML Snow Peak Ti cup with a cover made by Tinny. It weighs 3 ozs. Evernew's 500ml Ti cup with cover is 2.6 oz, and I'd guess is big enough for any cooking you want to do if solo.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/evern...ot-500-ml.html
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Journal Entries
    Images

GSI Soloist.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    the msr titan kettle works great.
    +1 on this.

-FA

I bought an aluminum pot with a handle at K-Mart about 30 years ago...it's about 6-inches in diameter. I removed the handle which brought the pot weight down to 3 ounces. I've used it on every hike I've been on in those 30 years. I now use a home made Super Cat stove, and the pot and stove work real well together.

The pot I use with my cat stove is a Stanco grease pot. About $6. I tossed the lid (the plastic handle melts on you). Under the lid is a strainer. I made the strainer into a lid, by screwing a small wooden knob onto the center, and gluing a piece of disposable foil roasting pan on with jb weld. I cut the piece of foil into a circle, then cut a wedge out before gluing it, so I can still strain or pour if I want to. Cat stove, pot lifter, snuffer, stove platform, matches, and bandanna to stop rattling all fit inside the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by kasow View Post
    The pot I use with my cat stove is a Stanco grease pot. About $6. I tossed the lid (the plastic handle melts on you). Under the lid is a strainer. I made the strainer into a lid, by screwing a small wooden knob onto the center, and gluing a piece of disposable foil roasting pan on with jb weld. I cut the piece of foil into a circle, then cut a wedge out before gluing it, so I can still strain or pour if I want to. Cat stove, pot lifter, snuffer, stove platform, matches, and bandanna to stop rattling all fit inside the pot.
    Alternatively, you can remove the plastic handle from the lid and replace with the wire from a binder clip, and not carry the strainer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++