WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm with you rocketsocks....doctors are supposed to alleviate concerns not be sarcastic asses. If they were more accessible you wouldn't need to look things up on the internet to get answers....and likely confused. If they have the knowledge, there should be a way to get them to share it. Fifteen minutes annually is insufficient time to get health questions answered, but go ahead and try to call the office with a question.....

(this applies to almost all drs in my experience, except for my rheumatologist who is, in fact, God's gift to medicine)

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    yeah those goofy idiots thinking they know about medicine because they went to med school. the nerve.
    Really.... o'coarse there was a little more to it than that. But my point was you have to be your own advocate, especially when your kids are involved, Doctors are real people with real people problems, and they don't always do what might be best for your situation...that is all.

Also, two of my new Doc have a patient portal system on the computer, to ask questions, check records and labs...it's wonderful, and save making an appt. just to ask a follow up question about whatever, I love it.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-22-2013 at 13:10.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    Fear is diminished by coming to terms with ones own mortality.
    I love this quote. once you get over that speed bump there is not a whole lot to be scared of. I have looked over the edge of many roofs, and said to myself if you fall from here, whats the worst thing that could happen? Die? And i always reply to myself, no the worst would be if i live thought it, all busted to sh_t and not be able to really live after.

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid."

The Stranger, Clint Eastwood
    High Plains Drifter 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I'm with you rocketsocks....doctors are supposed to alleviate concerns not be sarcastic asses. If they were more accessible you wouldn't need to look things up on the internet to get answers....and likely confused. If they have the knowledge, there should be a way to get them to share it. Fifteen minutes annually is insufficient time to get health questions answered, but go ahead and try to call the office with a question.....

(this applies to almost all drs in my experience, except for my rheumatologist who is, in fact, God's gift to medicine)
    I have a friend who is a LPN, and she told me that Doctors are paid for about 7min of the time they spend with you, that's not a lot of time when thing are complected. And to be fair, they bill X amount, and are reimbursed 75% less from insurance...crazy

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Really.... o'coarse there was a little more to it than that. But my point was you have to be your own advocate, especially when your kids are involved, Doctors are real people with real people problems, and they don't always do what might be best for your situation...that is all.

Also, two of my new Doc have a patient portal system on the computer, to ask questions, check records and labs...it's wonderful, and save making an appt. just to ask a follow up question about whatever, I love it.
    Sorry for the drift...but it's a scared thing

Journal Entries
    Images

Marcus Welby is dead.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 02-22-2013 at 13:15.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post

but a doctor SHOULD know better than you do, that's the part you and a great many other people don't seem to want to acknowledge. deference to true expertise is non existent in today's world. we all think we know best and that everyone is here to do our bidding.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post

and sometimes alleviating the concern means telling you how it is, even if that contradicts your own conclusions. just doing whatever you ask is not the way to do it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    this aint funny i ran into one of these last spring. I was just a bit faster than that wrabbit. threw my pack at him and ran like hell the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    I love this quote. once you get over that speed bump there is not a whole lot to be scared of. I have looked over the edge of many roofs, and said to myself if you fall from here, whats the worst thing that could happen? Die? And i always reply to myself, no the worst would be if i live thought it, all busted to sh_t and not be able to really live after.
    And now I love it too, so true, cause when it comes right down to it, most of that stuff that scares people they don't have control over anyway...so what ya gonna do, stuff happens...roll with it.

Journal Entries
    Images

and sometimes alleviating the concern means telling you how it is, even if that contradicts your own conclusions. just doing whatever you ask is not the way to do it.
    contradiction is the best result of all....keeps you from making dumb, misinformed mistakes...but since the purpose was to get info in the first place, it's a win!

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    this aint funny i ran into one of these last spring. I was just a bit faster than that wrabbit. threw my pack at him and ran like hell the other way.
    Oh the carnage, it slay me every time. Run a away, run away

Yeah, I hear ya but in my case your talking apples and I'm talking oranges, not your falut, I didn't give ya all the info....but I hear ya.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-22-2013 at 13:27.

Quote Originally Posted by bannerstone View Post
    "It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid."

The Stranger, Clint Eastwood
    High Plains Drifter 1973
    OH. MY. GOSH..... ding ding!!! This is the TRUTH!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

but a doctor SHOULD know better than you do, that's the part you and a great many other people don't seem to want to acknowledge.
    Bringing up my brother's story again....

He is a licensed paramedic in the civilian world in addition to being a medic in the Air National Guard. Currently he is a thesis paper away from his Masters in a biochemistry related degree. ( His none-too-smart brother who works in IT can't tell you more than that...) In other words, he's a smart guy with practical medical training.

When he started getting flu like symptoms, he immediately thought of Lyme disease. His GP just said "Nah. You are just tired.". My brother is a single dad raising a three year old daughter, so he almost (almost!) agreed.

He woke up a morning or two later and could hardly see in addition to having a pounding headache. Luckily, he had drills that weekend with his ANG unit.

Luckily? In addition to our RN cousin being in the same unit with him (and could give him a lift), the ANG unit has opticians and eye surgeons.

They said another day or two he'd have permanent damage. Some meds were given to alleviate the swelling in the eyes. Some blood work diagnosed what he thought initially: Lyme disease.

Always get a second opinion.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Sorry to hear that , and glad to hear that Mags.

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

but a doctor SHOULD know better than you do, that's the part you and a great many other people don't seem to want to acknowledge. deference to true expertise is non existent in today's world. we all think we know best and that everyone is here to do our bidding.
    I'll add to the thread drift here!

Great point tdoczi. A doctor should know more and almost assuredly does (any fool willing to argue that needs to go to med school). And the tests he or she can run should be able to tell us more yet.

But a doctor should NOT care about a individual's health any more than that individual does. Most doctors see lots of patients, and these patients become nothing more than numbers or "cases." And the more they see the more likely they are to making errors in judgment. Health is often a case of judgment, just like life or death can be.

We humans love to pass the burden of "health care" on to others, or on to other entities (government, HMOs, food companies, restaurants, etc). Health care is the individual's responsibility, first and foremost. We all sleep in the bed we make, so to speak. And the longer that bed is a mess, the tougher it is to clean!

We should endeavor to know more about ourselves--maybe even as much or more as a doctor does--and how to better care for ourselves, physically, emotionally, mentally, and so on.

That said, when something is amiss, I know who I'm going to, after I attempt a self-diagnosis. But in this case, it's usually straight to the tests (blood tests, for example), on a doctor's recommendation and my unending persuasion!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie V View Post
    I'll add to the thread drift here!

Great point tdoczi. A doctor should know more and almost assuredly does (any fool willing to argue that needs to go to med school). And the tests he or she can run should be able to tell us more yet.

But a doctor should NOT care about a individual's health any more than that individual does. Most doctors see lots of patients, and these patients become nothing more than numbers or "cases." And the more they see the more likely they are to making errors in judgment. Health is often a case of judgment, just like life or death can be.

We humans love to pass the burden of "health care" on to others, or on to other entities (government, HMOs, food companies, restaurants, etc). Health care is the individual's responsibility, first and foremost. We all sleep in the bed we make, so to speak. And the longer that bed is a mess, the tougher it is to clean!

We should endeavor to know more about ourselves--maybe even as much or more as a doctor does--and how to better care for ourselves, physically, emotionally, mentally, and so on.

That said, when something is amiss, I know who I'm going to, after I attempt a self-diagnosis. But in this case, it's usually straight to the tests (blood tests, for example), on a doctor's recommendation and my unending persuasion!
    but caring does not equal knowledge and just because i may care more doesn't make my opinion more valid than a medical professional who disagrees.

Registered User KingGator and Sons's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    Having read this, it sounds like it would be a good idea to pair up with another hiker, preferably opposite sex, and check each other for ticks every afternoon...
    LOL! Gotta love Floridians!
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "F" it and live life"
    KING GATOR

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++