WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sleeping pad questions

I am sure this has been covered; if so, maybe someone can provide a link?

Over the last 20 years of ten camping I have used two sleeping pads: a closed cell foam pad and a Thermarest self-inflating pad.

It seems to me there must be a better (read: more comfortable) way to sleep on the ground.

I am about to do a 7 or 8-day hike on the BMT through GSMNP in late March, early April and will carry a 20 degree bag.

Almost all of my hiking takes place is Spring and Fall.

Can anyone explain what options are out there, what the differences are in types of pads (advantages/disadvantages) and maybe make a recommendation?

Thanks!

PapaG

Images

Insulated inflatable air pads. I currently use the Exped Synmat UL7.

Others like the thermarest neo air.

Much lighter than a self-inflating pad, and much more compact too. Many times more comfortable than closed cell or self inflating.

Draw backs include the possibility of leaks or blowout, and the effort it takes to inflate them.

I take care of my gear, so blowout is not an issue. I carry a small patch kit for leaks, and I use an Exped bag pump that also serves as a dry bag to pack my sleeping bag, so inflation is not an issue for me.

If comfort is your goal, then an insulated inflatable pad is the only way to go.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Insulated inflatable air pads. I currently use the Exped Synmat UL7.

Others like the thermarest neo air.

Much lighter than a self-inflating pad, and much more compact too. Many times more comfortable than closed cell or self inflating.

Draw backs include the possibility of leaks or blowout, and the effort it takes to inflate them.

I take care of my gear, so blowout is not an issue. I carry a small patch kit for leaks, and I use an Exped bag pump that also serves as a dry bag to pack my sleeping bag, so inflation is not an issue for me.

If comfort is your goal, then an insulated inflatable pad is the only way to go.
    Ditto........
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Images

Use both at the same time. A foam pad underneath an inflatable pad helps pad knees, elbows and some hips, and may prevent punctures too. I carry a foam sit pad that goes under my torso at night.

The Nemo Tuo does something like this with two inflatable layers.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Ditto on the both approach as far as extra padding and protection. One of the biggest things that helped me and my wife, was taking it a bit easier on the daily miles. We found that a big part of our previous discomfort was pushing too hard too fast throughout the day. This resulted in sore muscles whether we were sleeping in a mattress at a hotel/hostel or we were on our z-rests on the ground. It was so bad we were considering upgrading to the aforementioned neo air. But on a late fall hike when we had to dial back the mileage due to daylight issues we found we slept much more comfortably. Can't say if this has any bearing on your request regarding pads except to say that for us we realized it wasn't only the pad that was the problem. Ymmv.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I like the one that looks like the old blow up rafts (dont know technical name) you use in swimming pools. I've tried the others you mentioned & always woke up damp & sore. My last trip on the AT I used the blow up 1 that I recieved as a Christmas gift, & it was the coldest night I've ever camped. Woke up warm & dry & felt good. IMO. Wish I'd of known this along time ago.

For inflation, consider an Instaflator

http://www.themillair.com/

I have a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, and its bar none the softest backpacking inflatable pad I have tried so far. Its basically a compact version of those blow up mattress that kids use in sleepovers and such.

The Good - The insulated version has a 4.1 R value , and the material is more "durable" and less likely to suffer a leak then some lightweight inflatables. Its 3.2" thick and its comfortable for side sleepers like me.

The Bad - Its a little heavy at 22oz for a regular. Its NOT self inflating so get ready to blow..alot, like 40 puffs. The older model (red) I have was also a little slippery with some sleeping bag material, but that can be fixed by not over-inflating and if needed by putting a few dabs of either silcone, the newer blue ones are a different color and texture so it might not be an issue anymore.
    http://www.rei.com/product/846692/bi...d-sleeping-pad

Another option is the REI stratus which is similar in design, Its a little thinner at 2.5" but you save an ounce or two in weight but lose some insulation (R value of 3). What I like about this one is the Large version is the same dimensions as the Big Agnes but its not as heavy or as expensive as the Big Agnes version. While 20" pad with is OK, I like 25" better
    http://www.rei.com/product/828460/re...ulated-air-pad

Another REI Stratus Large user. Comfortable pad with durable material and a built in REI lifetime guarantee which was a deciding factor for a blow up pad.

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

++ For the Exped (I use the down insulated one) and insulated Big Agnes pads.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

I have both a military foam pad and self inflating Thermarest, a Z Lite, and a Big Agnes insulated Q Core. I wanted something comfy and didn't worry about weight since I already had lighter options, I opted for the 36oz long/wide Q Core. After using it I haven't even used my others, but I'm typicaly just doing the weekend thing and not hiking very many miles or at the lake and a boat carries the load from lake shore to island shore. The NeoAir XLite looks like it'd be a good compromise for weight and comfort. I almost bought one, but for about the same price I ordered a Blackbird hammock to try out and potentially use for my thru hike. If the hammock doesn't work out I'll probably get the NeoAir XLite, it's hard to go back to my other options.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGarrettP View Post
    I am sure this has been covered; if so, maybe someone can provide a link?

Over the last 20 years of ten camping I have used two sleeping pads: a closed cell foam pad and a Thermarest self-inflating pad.

It seems to me there must be a better (read: more comfortable) way to sleep on the ground.

I am about to do a 7 or 8-day hike on the BMT through GSMNP in late March, early April and will carry a 20 degree bag.

Almost all of my hiking takes place is Spring and Fall.

Can anyone explain what options are out there, what the differences are in types of pads (advantages/disadvantages) and maybe make a recommendation?

Thanks!

PapaG
    Are you a back, side, or stomach sleeper? Is there anything specific about where you are uncomfortable, for instance back or hips?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Another article link...
    http://www.pmags.com/sleepings-pads-a-grounded-view

As always, IAD (It All Depends).

Find the type that works for you and then research specific models.

If you don't mind the price and treat your gear better than I, the NeoAir is comfortable, light and seems to have a good R Value. Mrs Mags loves hers.

Being more of a dirt bagger, I prefer the blue foamer for most of my three-season backpacking but will take a Z-rest in shoulder season weather.

I steal my wife's NeoAir and combine it with a Z-rest when winter camping.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-20-2013 at 00:51.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Exped Synmat UL 7 is incredibly comfy and lightweight. I've slept on a ton of rocks and never felt them (I sleep on my side). I bought the schnozzle, which is a large dry sac/ pump bag, to inflate the mat. It weighs 1 oz and inflates my mat after 3 "bags" of air, it keeps excess moisture out of my pad, plus it doubles as my interior pack liner. You really can't go wrong with that set up

Default Sleeping pad questions

+1 on the exped. It's what I use (when I'm not in my hammock) and I love it.

Lots of folks like the neoair but I think the design of the exped is superior. Better inflate/deflate valve system, baffle design, larger outter tubes, included repair kit, more comfortable materials.

Go try a few at your local outfitter...

Another vote for the Exped Synmat UL7. It is the one I have as well.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    For inflation, consider an Instaflator

http://www.themillair.com/
    That is very cool. Living in Florida -- with a big pool -- I definitely got to get me one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Are you a back, side, or stomach sleeper? Is there anything specific about where you are uncomfortable, for instance back or hips?
    I am a back and side sleeper.

Thanks for all the advice. For the most part, I am thinking that the source of my discomfort may be from sleeping cold. I am going to try using my old military foam pad under my Thermarest for the next trip. I looked at all the suggested pads and my big takeaway was -- wow, they are expensive!

PapaG

Images

Thanks for all the advice. For the most part, I am thinking that the source of my discomfort may be from sleeping cold. I am going to try using my old military foam pad under my Thermarest for the next trip. I looked at all the suggested pads and my big takeaway was -- wow, they are expensive!

PapaG
    With sleeping pads you get what you pay for.

If weight is not an issue, the Big Agnes insulated air core is probably the best value going for a compromise between weight, comfort, and warmth.

There is no one stop solution for everyone. If you feel cost is an important issue and weight is not a particular concern, taking both your pads is a good option.

For winter camping I take both my inflatable and my CCF. For warmer weather I want the lightest, most compact solution that will keep me warm and comfortable. For me that is a large wide Exped UL7.

I think of it this way, the bed I have at home cost well over a thousand dollars. Why would I go cheap with a pad I use for up to 30 or 40 nights a year? I care as much if not more about getting a good nights sleep on the trail as I do at home.

PapaG
    If you do decide, as I have, that your sleep is of utmost importance, when multi day high mileage hiking, and spring for an insulated air mattress, check out the Microburst Pad Pump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++