WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ultralight gear list for two

Me and my girlfriend are starting our thru hike this weekend. We didn't make it under 10lbs each but we made it under 12 until warmer weather comes. All feedback is welcome. We started a blog as well – we're pretty original – but it has pictures of some of our homemade gear, and we're planning to focus it on hiking as a pair if that interests anyone.

gear list: (google docs)

blog: backpackinMadeForTwo.com

Images

Have an awesome hike!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Seems like a pretty decent list. VERY well formatted, though!
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Awesome. Looking forward to following along.

Journal Entries

Sorry but I don't think you are prepared how cold it will be at night. This time of year you will be below freezing most every night.

Looks like they both have ~20 degree bags. Don't think they should have too much of a problem?

Well you could cut out 0.07 oz if you ditch one of the SD cards

Just kidding. I was impressed that you weighed an SD card. Have a good hike.

Quote Originally Posted by terryg49 View Post
    Sorry but I don't think you are prepared how cold it will be at night. This time of year you will be below freezing most every night.
    They've got some warm layers, I think they will be okay.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for all the comments, I've learned a lot from perusing the gear lists of others on this site. Like all lists, I'm sure this one will change as we get going.

Forgot to indicate that my bag is 20* and hers is 15*. With all our layers that should keep us comfortably warm down into the low teens, after that we'll start doing crunches. We tested our sleep systems in the low twenties and were fine with plenty of clothes to spare. We're thinking about swapping out for a 30*-40* down quilt come warmer weather, which would shave over a pound off both our packs.

AT 2012

I'm not sure that the penny stove is the best option these days... so much has happened since they were first designed. It may be fine... you might ask /PM WB'er Zelph for his alcohol stove advice -- I bet he would help, and he would know how the penny stove measures up these days. Or you might just start a thread about current opinions on the penny stove...

Seems like a lot of dependence on down clothing, and seems like a lot of it. I guess you'll find out soon enough how much of it you really need. I do favor wearing sleeping bags or quilts under rain jackets to lighten up on the clothing required -- but that requires really big jackets and it looks like you are all set with the right size!!!

You are clearly spectacularly well prepared and should have a wonderful time.

enjoy!
    Lazarus

Can you share that Google Doc?

Plastic bags for bag liners? Are you using them to keep the bags clean(ish), or as a vapor barrier?

Great looking stuff. Waaay too cute. Have a blast.

@1azarus thanks for the advice on the stoves, I'll look into it more. I previously made another penny-less pop can stove, so maybe I'll run a test today and see which one is more efficient, or who knows if time permits maybe I'll dig through the recycling bin and attempt another one.

@jrabbott Isn't the doc shared already? or am I missing something?

@etboy The plastic bags are to keep everything dry in our packs. Were starting with two each, a separate one just for our sleeping bags, because I want to take extra precaution in keeping our down dry in the colder months. It gives us a spare trash bag if we need it for a vapor barrier or something as well.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ejonesy21 View Post
    Thanks for all the comments, I've learned a lot from perusing the gear lists of others on this site. Like all lists, I'm sure this one will change as we get going.

Forgot to indicate that my bag is 20* and hers is 15*. With all our layers that should keep us comfortably warm down into the low teens, after that we'll start doing crunches. We tested our sleep systems in the low twenties and were fine with plenty of clothes to spare. We're thinking about swapping out for a 30*-40* down quilt come warmer weather, which would shave over a pound off both our packs.
    i personally wouldnt go with a 15 or 20 deg bag with your start date, but the sleeping bag is the one thing that I dont mind carrying extra weight for. i've done decades of hiking in the south and have had many, many nights in the single digits, and dozens of nights below 0......in March.

regarding swapping out the bag during warmer weather, my wife and i found it better to just send one bag home. we carried 1 warmer bag between the 2 of us and used it as a quilt, and stuffed both our feet in the toe box. that saved more weight than carrying two lighter bags.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

++ New Posts ++