WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Any bad towns?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Sorry to see the negative remarks about Hanover....it is evident that the poster hasn't been there for quite awhile. There is in fact laundry service (right on the Trail!) available at the Community Center; also a shower there; there are several outfitters/outdoor stores in town (either right on, or just off the Trail) and several very large ones quite close by in Lebanon; there are no hostels right in town, true, but there are now man friendly locals putting folks up in their homes, and feeding them,too!). Hanover is a lot friendlier than it used to be, and most folks seem to have a fine time there.
    Jack is 100% correct, as I've written earlier, Hanover is a great AT town, even had the owner of the poster store (right on the AT in town!) give me a great 10 min. history on the AT in Hanover. Overall, one of the best towns IMO on the AT. I would also add Bennington, VT was a great town as well, but its about 10 miles west of the AT.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Worst town: Sandyston, NJ, the home of Joe to Go. We were very low on food and stopped for breakfast. Joe is a jerk. But since we should look for the good in people, I can say to the best of my knowledge that he did not spit in our food.

IMG_0307.jpg

Hi, there...I'm in Poughquag. Please try again, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Hanover is a great town one of the best on the trail. on the other hand like i said in my other post POUGHQUAG NY is a awful town i was spit on, i was cussed out by the hotel manager upon other things very rude town . It's only a few miles south of Pawling NY I would highly advise everybody to go to Pawling instead a lot better town.
    Sorry for your trouble. I hope hikers will find Poughquag more inviting now.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Most of the towns in the southern AT are hiker friendly but the farther north you go the worst they get, the absolute worst town i esperienced on my 2006 thru is Pawquawg NY( that name could be spelled wrong), i made it a point to stay away from that one during my 2012 thru.
    Hello Red-Dog, thought you meant Pawling NY where the Metro North AT station is located. Never been to Poughquag NY. Wingdale NY is an "acquired taste," no offense to anyone from there...but not very "warm and fuzzy." Baskets, GardenState and Nope had issues with Danny's pizzeria in Stormville NY...not very "hiker friendly." The guy tied to close shop early when they arrived for some pizza, yet had no problem taking orders from other people who arrived behind them. So, in essence, the guy lied about his closing hours. GardenState assessed that he didn't want them eating "INSIDE" the restaurant.
    Last edited by Thrifty Endurance; 06-11-2019 at 13:28.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

6 year old thread revival!

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    6 year old thread revival!
    LOL so it is...what's old is new again...

Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty Endurance View Post
    LOL so it is...what's old is new again...
    but, you weren't here back then, so we value your contribution to this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    but, you weren't here back then, so we value your contribution to this thread!
    Awwww! Thank you! I take notes when I watch the AT thru-hiking vids. So, if I see any thumbs down or even thumbs up, I will post them here.

. Wingdale NY is an "acquired taste,"

But if you find yourself in Wingdale, at least go to Big W's Barbeque. 2.5 miles north of the Appalachian Trail station (so south of the Wingdale station), same side of Route 22.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

The only town I've gotten a bad vibe from on the southern AT was Pearisburg. I didn't like how the trail was routed away from town, then you have to walk back uphill along a busy road to get into town. No one was rude, just got the impression that they didn't care if hikers stopped there. Or maybe it just felt unwelcoming after staying at Woods Hole the previous night. :-)
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    just got the impression that they didn't care if hikers stopped there.
    should they care? i mean they shouldnt actively not want and/or discourage hikers from coming to town, but not unfurling big banners that say "hikers, please visit us" or something means you get a bad vibe? interesting. frankly i find places that seem to trip over themselves trying to get hikers to stop there more troubling. a town should have better things to do, no?

all that said when i was briefly there a stranger sitting on the porch or her antique store offered me a soda and one of the hotels (both of which was booked solid) offered me the option of camping on their property and allowed me to use their phone to call around to other places.

The only town I've gotten a bad vibe from on the southern AT was Pearisburg. I didn't like how the trail was routed away from town, then you have to walk back uphill along a busy road to get into town. No one was rude, just got the impression that they didn't care if hikers stopped there. Or maybe it just felt unwelcoming after staying at Woods Hole the previous night. :-)
    The manager and staff at the Dairy Queen was really nice to me as I spent a warm July Sunday afternoon there back in 2013 waiting for a shuttle.
    Of course course after four weeks of hiking I had a pretty good appetite, so I was not just sitting there for free either.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Real slick Dr.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Real slick Dr.
    it is sort of a curious coincidence, isnt it?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    should they care? i mean they shouldnt actively not want and/or discourage hikers from coming to town, but not unfurling big banners that say "hikers, please visit us" or something means you get a bad vibe? interesting. frankly i find places that seem to trip over themselves trying to get hikers to stop there more troubling. a town should have better things to do, no?
    Yeah, I get that. I guess I'd gotten spoiled by towns like Hot Springs and Damascus where it seems like the entire town is oriented around the AT and the hiking community. As mentioned previously, it probably didn't help that I'd stayed at Woods Hole the previous night. It was the friendliest and most welcoming place I'd been on the AT. The owners and the food were fantastic and I had a great time hanging out with the hikers there.

However, it was fall and I was the only one going NOBO. When I got to Pearisburg the trail had recently been re-routed away from town and it wasn't in the guide book yet, so I made it all the way to the river bridge before I realized what had happened. Then I had to roadwalk a mile uphill along a busy road with narrow shoulder and lots of cars zooming by at 50+ mph. The motel was full of bikers and the food was mediocre.

I really only stopped in Pearisburg because of convenient resupply. If I did it again, I'd just mail a box to Woods Hole and avoid the extra roadwalk.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Yeah, I get that. I guess I'd gotten spoiled by towns like Hot Springs and Damascus where it seems like the entire town is oriented around the AT and the hiking community. As mentioned previously, it probably didn't help that I'd stayed at Woods Hole the previous night. It was the friendliest and most welcoming place I'd been on the AT. The owners and the food were fantastic and I had a great time hanging out with the hikers there.

However, it was fall and I was the only one going NOBO. When I got to Pearisburg the trail had recently been re-routed away from town and it wasn't in the guide book yet, so I made it all the way to the river bridge before I realized what had happened. Then I had to roadwalk a mile uphill along a busy road with narrow shoulder and lots of cars zooming by at 50+ mph. The motel was full of bikers and the food was mediocre.

I really only stopped in Pearisburg because of convenient resupply. If I did it again, I'd just mail a box to Woods Hole and avoid the extra roadwalk.
    the re-route through me off too for a bit, but i guess i didn't read it as anything to do with not wanting hikers near town.

and yeah, i agree. lots more going on there that wasnt about hikers than in some other towns, but again i never see that as any sort of negative. i guess because i'd rather disappear and be seen as just one more person like everyone else then be a hiker in a place that caters to hikers.

I have found on the Appalachian Trail the ease of getting a hitch into said town is usually directly proportional with how "hiker friendly" it is.

There are other circumstances as well though.

But when someone picks you up in 2 seconds and brings you directly to the grocery store where there is a spot just for hikers. Well.. they typically cater towards hikers.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Far more bad hikers than bad towns.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Far more bad hikers than bad towns.
    was just gettin' ready to post that . so true

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++