WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Any bad towns?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Any bad towns?

A customer at my brother's vitamin store who was experienced with the AT mentioned a few towns that in fact DO NOT appreciate AT thru-hikers and do not treat them well at all. Of course my brother can't remember the towns he named. Are there any that come to anyone's mind?

Thanks!

Kent, Connecticut has that reputation.

Most of the towns in the southern AT are hiker friendly but the farther north you go the worst they get, the absolute worst town i esperienced on my 2006 thru is Pawquawg NY( that name could be spelled wrong), i made it a point to stay away from that one during my 2012 thru.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Most of the towns in the southern AT are hiker friendly but the farther north you go the worst they get, the absolute worst town i esperienced on my 2006 thru is Pawquawg NY( that name could be spelled wrong), i made it a point to stay away from that one during my 2012 thru.
    Probably Pawling NY. I grew up about ten miles south in Brewster.

Most of the towns in the southern AT are hiker friendly but the farther north you go the worst they get, the absolute worst town i esperienced on my 2006 thru is Pawquawg NY..., i made it a point to stay away from that one during my 2012 thru.
    With your logic the worst town wouldn't be the fictional town of Pawquawg, NY but Monson or Millinocket, Maine.

mdj05f, I'd be leery of advice of this nature, as any two people can have a completely opposite experience. Pawling lets hikers camp in the town park, they can't be all bad.

Hi, there...I'm in Poughquag. Please try again, everyone!

Hello Red-Dog, thought you meant Pawling NY where the Metro North AT station is located. Never been to Poughquag NY. Wingdale NY is an "acquired taste," no offense to anyone from there...but not very "warm and fuzzy." Baskets, GardenState and Nope had issues with Danny's pizzeria in Stormville NY...not very "hiker friendly." The guy tied to close shop early when they arrived for some pizza, yet had no problem taking orders from other people who arrived behind them. So, in essence, the guy lied about his closing hours. GardenState assessed that he didn't want them eating "INSIDE" the restaurant.
    Last edited by Thrifty Endurance; 06-11-2019 at 13:28.

. Wingdale NY is an "acquired taste,"

But if you find yourself in Wingdale, at least go to Big W's Barbeque. 2.5 miles north of the Appalachian Trail station (so south of the Wingdale station), same side of Route 22.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Kent, Connecticut has that reputation.
    No offend, Rasty,
    let me defend Kent.
    First - when I was at Post Office (thru-hike 2012), two different people offered me ride to the trailhead. It happened in fife - ten minutes apart.
    Second - Kent has the best chocolate cafe.
    By my nature, I don't like moochers on the trail, and sometimes expressing that out loud, I never have the bad experience in towns along AT, ever. And I hiked AT twice.
    My conclusion: If somebody comes to someone else's yard, he (she) have to play by the rules of the yard, or at least respect them. And, guys, we are only guests. Just remember that and wish to everybody be self-critical. To myself - too.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Ditto on Kent. The "outfitter" is an ice cream and t-shirt shop with some Coghlans equipment for sale over in a corner. Trying to get one of their employees to help find the bounce box I had sent there was like pulling teeth. It's better for your sanity and for the town's rarefied air if you're in and out of there as quick as possible.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

thanks everyone! very helpful!

No such thing as a "bad town". I think the respect you get is equal to the respect you give. Nothing wrong with Kent, had a great supper with about 10 other thrus at a large restaurant, and a great breakfast with one other thru at a small restaurant the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No such thing as a "bad town". I think the respect you get is equal to the respect you give. Nothing wrong with Kent, had a great supper with about 10 other thrus at a large restaurant, and a great breakfast with one other thru at a small restaurant the next morning.
    i agree. never had a bad experience in a town. it's past hikers that have caused some residents and businesses to dislike hikers. some hikers are just plain rude and disrespectful

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf;
    some hikers are just plain rude and disrespectful
    Rude and disrespectful is always a bad idea, for anyone, anywhere.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Rude and disrespectful is always a bad idea, for anyone, anywhere.
    happens a LOT in Damascus

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I agree with that, stayed there with Jim & Ellie Burns for two weeks and met a lot of famous folk of the time. Jim and his wife Ellie are long gone from this earth....I love that town.

When you go into these quaint villages that are scattered along the trail then by all means just go in there and act like you belong. Do not act like you are lower or higher than any of them folk and most likely you will have a good time....just live life with them....

I found best for many towns to just resupply and get back on the trail in the same day unless they are the friendliest town on the AT or Hot Springs or Pearisburg. I spend too much money while in town. Wish someone had a portable hot shower mobile that followed thru-hikers along the AT.

Images

Ya our plan is to only resupply in most of these towns, we don't plan on staying overnight but a few times. I read about free hot showers at the visitor center of the park at a dam...somewhere in the south, can't remember now.

Quote Originally Posted by mdj05f View Post
    I read about free hot showers at the visitor center of the park at a dam...somewhere in the south, can't remember now.
    That would be Fontana dam at the NC/TN border! Love that place.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob_springsteen View Post
    Wish someone had a portable hot shower mobile that followed thru-hikers along the AT.
    May as well add a massage and foot rub, along with portable laundry, ice cold draft beer and a deluxe cheeseburger with fries!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++