Images

Default Cotton on the PCT

Hey y'all -- whats the word on wearing cotton clothes, especially in the desert? I don't have any hiking pants and I was thinking about starting the trail in a pair of Levi's 501 jeans. I did most of the 100 mile wilderness in skinny jeans which worked decently well but I also never had to hike with them wet. If you've never seen Eric Ryback's book he's wearing blue jeans and big leather boots on the cover. This was the first guy to hike the PCT. So if I start May 15, am I gonna die if I have only blue jeans?

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    Hey y'all -- whats the word on wearing cotton clothes, especially in the desert? I don't have any hiking pants and I was thinking about starting the trail in a pair of Levi's 501 jeans. I did most of the 100 mile wilderness in skinny jeans which worked decently well but I also never had to hike with them wet. If you've never seen Eric Ryback's book he's wearing blue jeans and big leather boots on the cover. This was the first guy to hike the PCT. So if I start May 15, am I gonna die if I have only blue jeans?
    You won't likely die, but it'll be that much tougher in jeans, given your later than normal departure date (I'm under the assumption you're heading NOBO). Bring some scissors, as you'll probably prefer shorts over full leggings. But if this all you can afford, don't let it stop you. Or, better yet, scrimp on some of your food costs and head to a thrift store and buy some nylon sweatpant type of attire and some shorts. Ryback hiked in 1971. A few things have changed since then.

Yup. You'll make it 6-7 steps and then click....lights out.

Images

You should expect snow, rain and many night below freezing in the "desert". Not to mention many water crossings and the snow that's already on the ground.

People use to hike in Jeans and cotton t-shirts all the time and lived; I was one of them. But there are stories of those who didn't do so well when the weather turned damp. The issue with cotton is that it holds water when it gets wet, so its heavy and doesn't dry that fast and doesn't isulate when wet. In the mountains where the temps can drop quickly with the next t-storm, that isn't such an idea thing. Which is why today's wisdom is to wear sythetics which dry fast. However, in desert conditions, cotton does work well. But night temps do drop below freezing since there is no moisture to hold the heat.

But the PCT in SoCal isn't all desert. There are desert like parts, but it often goes over some rather tall moutains that can get snow during thru-hiker season. Mt. Laguna ~45mi from the border, the San Jacintos that you get to during your 2nd week, San Bernardino mtns a few days latter, the San Gabriel Mtns just after that, and the Tehachapis. You will go over 9000ft twice in SoCal and spend alot of time over 5000ft. And if a real storm comes through (not normal, but does happen some years), the temps even in the desert can turn cold even during the daytime. For a thru-hike, synthetics are just going to be safer.

Dickie work pants would likely do a good job. Even though they have cotton content, they dry reasonably quick and hold up well to wear. Not very expensive and easy to find.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Garlic
    Images

I'm just thinking of those hot days in So Cal in late April, like 98 at Warner Hot Springs and 102 at San Gorgonio Pass. If I'd had jeans on, some tough days would have been tougher. Not fatal, but if better clothing is available and if you can afford it, it would make things quite a bit more comfortable, or at least less of a misery.

I've been able to find light nylon hiking pants for under $30 at various sales. I got lucky at a thrift store once, too, and found something for $5. My wife gets hers on eBay for under $10 usually.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

No way I would wear jeans on the PCT at any point. Sounds like chafing to me and seriously uncomfortable. But give it a go, you can always hike in boxers.

Images

You don't need "hiking pants". The <$15 Champion wind pants from Target will work. Make sure it's the one with stiffer fabric because other one will snag on everything. Cut out the liner to make them cooler and lighter.

Or wear shorts.

Jeans... All I can say is you better have a good belt to keep them up when they get wet. I'm not saying to merely have a belt. It needs to be a GOOD belt because jeans in the rain are incredibly heavy.

Don't wear cotton jeans.
    (unless you want to make things tougher for yourself)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

There is no reason to wear cotton jeans: They are heavy, take forever to dry and considering what an inexpensive pair of jeans costs ($15-$20), you could buy some equally inexpensive or cheaper pants or shorts that work better.

The C9 Brand mentioned at target works well. A thrifter poly-cotton dress shirt has long been my choice for three-season backpacking. The Dickies mentioned work well enough for most three-season backpacking, too.

You probably won't die wearing blue jeans. Just there are better alternatives that won't break-the-bank and may even be less expensive.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

You can always tell the inexperienced. NO Cotton all the time.

You can get nicely equipped with clothes made of synthetics, silk or wool at most any donation/charity stores. A lot of hikers purchase footwear, and all kinds of gear for cents on the dollar at these centers. The only thing cotton I would consider would be a bandanna.

Cotton's rotten

Images

I don't even wear jeans when I'm not hiking because I think they're uncomfortable even off the trail. I couldn't imagine walking any considerable distance wearing jeans. Just get a pair of poly pants and hold off on the jeans until you develop a groin callus.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

++ New Posts ++