WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default New Hiking Dog - Leash Questions

Hi all,

In August I got my first dog, a rescued lab mix named Charlie. He is now about 8 months old. Here's his picture:

319066_10151144967875969_803623583_n.jpg

Some people think he's a mix of lab and border collie. Mostly, he's a mix of cuteness.

Since he's so young, we are working on basic obedience and he's doing quite well. I'm planning short hikes with him (I'm in Maine) and the goal this summer is to develop good trail manners. I hope to do longer hikes with him, once I'm more sure of his behavior. I definitely don't want a dog that drives people crazy out there! He's quite sweet and loves everyone.

My question is about leashes. I live in a rural area so we walk in the woods a lot. I don't want or need him in heel position at all times. I want him to enjoy the woods. So I walk him with a 16 foot retractable leash. This has worked really, really well. I keep him close on roads and he can handle that just fine. We're using an EZ walk harness and he does not pull. So far so good! He stays on my left side about 80% of the time.

My concern is how I'll manage the leash when I'm wearing a backpack and carrying poles. Right now, if he weaves behind me and to the other side, it's not a big deal - though I do try to correct it and keep him one side. I can reach the leash up over my head and swing it around to the other side. But I can't imagine doing that with a pack and poles. I find wondering myself if I'll have to keep him closer when I've got the pack and poles so he can't weave without causing a headache for me. While I'm okay keeping him close at times, I do want him to have some freedom in the woods.

(Ideally, I want to be able to unleash him where it's allowed so he can run a bit, but I need to be sure of his recall and ability to stay on command before I do that.)

I know I need to just try this and see how it goes with the pack and poles, and plan to once we are past snow season here. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or recommendations. We take training classes regularly (for me mostly!) so he understands when he's being "taught" something. How can I teach him to stay on my left and not weave? The trainer was not super concerned about this, but she hasn't carried a 30 pound pack and poles up a mountain.

Thanks for any advice. I'm super excited about having Charlie as a hiking partner, I know he will love it. But I want him to be really, really well trained and I'm prepared to invest whatever time I need to, to make sure that happens.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Get a waist-leash setup now. There is much of the time when you will be walking a very narrow, "one lane" trail. You will not want him on your left, for instance, when you have a sheer drop off two-feet to your right. The best place will be behind you. And, please, please, forget his enjoying the woods by running free. He will enjoy you, and you will enjoy him, and it would be nice if the unseen hiker ahead doesn't have to wonder about the yapping dog who is running towards him/her.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    My question is about leashes. I live in a rural area so we walk in the woods a lot. I don't want or need him in heel position at all times. I want him to enjoy the woods. So I walk him with a 16 foot retractable leash. This has worked really, really well. I keep him close on roads and he can handle that just fine. We're using an EZ walk harness and he does not pull. So far so good! He stays on my left side about 80% of the time.

My concern is how I'll manage the leash when I'm wearing a backpack and carrying poles. Right now, if he weaves behind me and to the other side, it's not a big deal - though I do try to correct it and keep him one side. I can reach the leash up over my head and swing it around to the other side. But I can't imagine doing that with a pack and poles. I find wondering myself if I'll have to keep him closer when I've got the pack and poles so he can't weave without causing a headache for me. While I'm okay keeping him close at times, I do want him to have some freedom in the woods.
    Looks like a nice dog, and you sound like an owner that really cares about your dog.

These two things I have bolded read to me like you need a paradigm shift.

The walk is sacred for me, it is about my enjoyment and the dog should be happy because I am happy. I don't care if he is bored or deprived of smelling things, the walk is about reinforcing in his mind that I am the pack leader. There is a time for letting him run and be a dog, but it is not on the daily walks.

The second thing is everything is a big deal and you shouldn't just "try to correct it", but do it. Every single time we go through the outside door, my dog has to sit and wait for me to go through first. If he doesn't he gets fussed at, every single time no exceptions. If you require discipline on the small things then the big things will fall into place a lot easier.

It sounds like you are into training, but the basis of training is discipline and that is what you need to work on. Once you fix your walks, then you won't have to worry about the leash with your pack or trail ettiquite because he will be looking to you for direction instead of his other instincts.

This is all Caesar Milan kind of stuff. I know some people think it is bunk, but it works for me.

i agree with all of the above, my dog hikes a step behind me on my left, if she tries to go out front , i block her with me stick or leash.
    she gets in following mode and i don't have to worry about her scaring people on trail, the jogging leash is great for hiking

Appears you are on the right track with the perfect mindset..

All great points above, what worked for my pup n me is early exposurer to all and everything possible for her. On leash (easy walker as well) and off, trails, roads, parks, dog parks, boats, water, tons of people, etc.
    She is 3 now and walks off leash in the woods 6 days a week and it has become mine and her favorite part of our days. She leads by about 7-10 feet and never runs ahead at on coming people or dogs. When she starts out she sniffs and investigates but I feel that is important and natural for them and I will stop and wait but after about a mile or so she is all done with that and all about showing the way...... Probably a bad habit but i no longer carry a leash my self but try the waist ones mentioned above may be the ticket. Good luck and thanks for rescueing a pup and giving Charlie a great life after what was probably a rough start!!

Images

Thanks for the patience and great feedback, points all well taken. It's my first dog since childhood, so I'm trying to make sure I do things right. For the record: I would never unleash him and let him run ahead to hikers ahead on the trail. I totally get that. His recall and stay will have to be solid before I ever unleash him. We are a long ways from that, as he seems to have entered his "teenage" phase.

Few things:

* Any recommendations on a handsfree leash? I've heard good things about this leash: http://www.irondoggy.com/ProductDeta...runners_choice

* The walk for me is about Charlie and I being out there together, though I totally understand the sacred nature of the walk for many. The safety concerns hit me the most and it does seem safer if I can keep him behind me. About how close do you guys keep your dogs? What I'm hearing from the responses here is to teach him to follow behind and to correct him every time he moves ahead of me. This will be a big shift for him - curious as to how people handle the correction. Just block him? I've been very consistent with him on the things I want him to do, so once I'm sure how to handle it, I won't have trouble following through.

Thank you so much!

Just be careful of the dogs that aren't leashed.

Images

If you keep him behind you make sure to use rubber tips on your poles, It's easy to have the pole slip out from the ground and hit your dog.
    congratulations on a rescue dog, he is REALLY cute!
    Last edited by polechar; 02-17-2013 at 15:16.
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

i bought a leash from alpine outfitters, the standard jogging leash was a little short for my taste ,but the owner made a longer one for me,
    i have recently thought of making a leash from amsteel, breaking strength of the 7/16 is 1600lbs, even my dog can't break that, and it would wiegh next to nothing

cool dog.. everyone has said good things :-) just make sure your teaching the dog and not the other way around. Dog can be very clever at training their owners LOL

Images

For a "waist-leash", try some of the equipment companies that sell sled-dog equipment. Google "Sled-Dog Central" for this site's URL, and look for equipment companies that sell "ski-joring equipment". A ski-joring harnss may be a bit heavy, but it is designed to attach a skier to a sled-dog...they are bomb-proof!

For the dog's safety, consider keeping him on leash 100% of the time - snakes, porcupines, other dogs, and RABID HIKERS are everywhere! As a "voice-impaired" hiker, I can control MY dogs using specialized non-verbal commands, but other dogs will not respond to these, and I couldn't tell you how many times my dog and I have been charged by other dogs (off-lead, with other hikers) who do not respond to their owner's repeated attempts to call their dog back. I have no qualms about using my staff to fend off another dog (and it's owner, if need be); I would hate to be in a position of having to use my staff on a cutie like Charlie.

Good luck with him. Practice, practice, practice....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    Hi all,

In August I got my first dog, a rescued lab mix named Charlie. He is now about 8 months old. Here's his picture:

319066_10151144967875969_803623583_n.jpg

Some people think he's a mix of lab and border collie. Mostly, he's a mix of cuteness.

Thanks for any advice. I'm super excited about having Charlie as a hiking partner, I know he will love it. But I want him to be really, really well trained and I'm prepared to invest whatever time I need to, to make sure that happens.
    Goonky I am excited about your post!

Pounds and other organizations do not identify the dogs! they get close ...

Great posts up to now ... Now I am going to teach you to cheat! Go to your local library... they are inundated with training video of all sorts.. I take some of the worst dogs and convert and temp shelter them... Pole Charlie I agree... Take a few videos watch the basics... do the work yourself involve other family members at all costs... My Wife and I have tiny real dehydrated liver and bacon.. because its cheaper than stuff from the dog store. ( Advance search ) We go to the yard and play games and I use homemade jerky in tiny bits and teach the dog to have fun... Rugby has 300-400 words down and walks as "walk with me" (close) & "out in front" @20 feet in front on a 23 with a "Gentle leader" I have observed waist leashes but a drilled hole and a carbiner on a re tractor .... No worries!

Teaching a dog to walk close only requires positive reinforcement 1/2 hour walking up and down your street, for three months.... the rewards the praise ... WINNING!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Your new guy looks like a real sweetie!! If you can get your guy trained to stay close and come when he's called, I'd recommend LeashLocket, the lightweight handle snaps magnetically to your dog's collar so you don't have to worry about an extended leash getting caught in the brush and trees, but you can grab it very quickly when you need to.

Goonky; if you want Charlieto walk off lead start in a fenced area with a 10 foot web leash; let in run loose on the ground so you can step on it to stop Charlie at a set distance say four foot ahead of you; call or say"Stop" when he's about three foot ahead step to stop at four if he chooses to not stop. Bear my dog stops when Isay his name or if I make a certain noise (kind of a "nant" sound). He also understands "Get back here!" "Stop" "Wait" "Leave it". Most of it isworking with the dog and you beng the focus of the dogs attention. Charlie should follow the leader; if you stop he stops. Bear, when off leash will work ahead then look back to make sure I am still coming. He will also wait and get behind m; this is more on the hiking trail than io\f we are walkng a city street (I am lucky in that I live where the traffic is low/medium when and where I walk on an almost daily basis. I will say that Bear was very people/his person focused when I got him; I think he was lower dog in the pack/litter.

I had my first lab mix to where she would go from the house to the car off leash but I did not trust her off leash beyond that; every little bit she would decide she want to chase something, the one that scaried me was when my wife had taken here out to the pin to take care of business and she went for a run with kid on a bike to the middle/high school which meant crossing the Highway in town. She got a chain just outside the back door soon after that.

Images

I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I decided to order this leash: http://www.irondoggy.com/ProductDeta...runners_choice

It's pretty clear to me that for at the very least this summer, he's probably going to stay leashed. His greeting skills - while joyful and exuberant - are still not very polite. This will be a training summer where we'll work on trail manners.

I'm hoping eventually to move to something like leash-gal suggested, that looked neat.

++ New Posts ++