WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Dogs not on the AT

What did you do with your dog during your thru if they didn't hike with you?

Quiche.

j/k everyone.

Images

Princess stayed with a friend and my daughter took her on the weekends. she was 13 then, too old to hike.
    1349736239439.jpg
    this pic was sent to me hiking.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

My husband and I are prepping to thru right now. We have an elderly non-hiking dog and three cats. The dog is staying with my mother (who is looking forward to the company). We have arranged a pet-sitter/renter for our condo - a steep discount on rent in exchange for watching the cats. It's a stressful/delicate/difficult process to find someone, but if you're specific and use correct grammar/spelling/punctuation on craigslist, you weed out many non-desirables (not that my husband didn't google a few applicants and get scary results). Cats are perhaps a little easier to pet-sit than dogs, but if you don't have a friend/family member you can turn to it's an idea.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

My Fleur loves to hike, but she (and Claire before her) becomes my focus. This is my hike. If she is along, restrictions abound against both of us. It is hard, but I am sending her to my daughter and her husband in New Mexico. The flight and accompaning expenses are too much for me with my retirement pay. My daughters have gone together to pay for her travels. Altogether, the expense is about the same as leaving her in a top notch kennel. Their gift is my Earth Day present.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

Good luck on your thrus everyone! Thanks for the idea P1nkpanther- never considered Craigslist. Sawnie- you're lucky to have a supportive family that is willing to help you!

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    My Fleur loves to hike, but she (and Claire before her) becomes my focus. This is my hike. If she is along, restrictions abound against both of us. It is hard, but I am sending her to my daughter and her husband in New Mexico. The flight and accompaning expenses are too much for me with my retirement pay. My daughters have gone together to pay for her travels. Altogether, the expense is about the same as leaving her in a top notch kennel. Their gift is my Earth Day present.
    thats great that your k-9 issues have been taken care of. Good luck on your hike.

++ New Posts ++