WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ATV-Riding Vandals Carve Up Max Patch On The Appalachian National Scenic ... - Nation

National Parks Traveler

ATV-Riding Vandals Carve Up Max Patch On The Appalachian National Scenic ...
    National Parks Traveler
    Volunteers from local trail-maintaining clubs take care of the Appalachian Trail, which meanders 2,185 miles from Georgia to Maine. A Carolina Mountain Club maintenance volunteer discovered the destruction in late December 2012. Dwayne Stutzman, one ...

More...

Not surprised. Wev'e been having a losing battle with ATVs for the last 14 years out west. No one can police them as 99% of rangers, or game & fish dontacually drive any vehicle that could catch & stop them.

I've owned a utility ATV in the past for work around my ranch, but these ATV people are just destructive joyriders. There are NO rules, no legal requirement for a drivers license, no requirements for insurance, no minimum age for people to be driving these things that go as fast as a car or truck & cause as much damage to people, horses, land.

I wish ATVs were never invented. You are not safe around people who drive them, things happen too quickly for a driver on them to react (& they WILL HIT YOU, accidental or not). You may or may not live.

Welcome to my world.

I too have to spit when i say the words four wheeler.

I am fortunate to live here in Western NC and not to far from Max Patch. Its a beautiful spot. Here is the latest, they did catch some of the vandals/idiots. http://www.citizen-times.com/article...nclick_check=1

If you look at the miles amount trail of destruction they left vs:

the cost of re-grading that area (don't forget the cost of labor of the grading tractor, the cost of gasoline, the cost of transporting the grading tractor(s), the cost of gas to tow the grading tractors, the cost of gasoline on the environment wasted on fixing this, the cost of the trucks & trailors wear & tear to get there & back etc)...

These people should have the book thrown at them. $5000 fine, doesn't begin to cover the cost of this. In addition, a point should be made (as these ATV people are so hard to catch), maybe a $10,000 fine plus a year in jail (mandatory), would make them think about never using an ATV again.

These ATV riders have gotten off scott-free for too long.

simple solution for simpletons
    maximum time + maximum fine+restitution in labor and costs of rehab
    final penalty...confiscation of ATV

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cranky View Post
    simple solution for simpletons
    maximum time + maximum fine+restitution in labor and costs of rehab
    final penalty...confiscation of ATV
    Donation of the ATV to a guv'mint service to help monitor/catch more of them.

I like the thought of a Federal conviction on their record.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

FWIW I'd like to know how many here remember the 4 mile road walk prior to the USFS purchase of Max Patch.....

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpen View Post
    If you look at the miles amount trail of destruction they left vs:

the cost of re-grading that area (don't forget the cost of labor of the grading tractor, the cost of gasoline, the cost of transporting the grading tractor(s), the cost of gas to tow the grading tractors, the cost of gasoline on the environment wasted on fixing this, the cost of the trucks & trailors wear & tear to get there & back etc)...

These people should have the book thrown at them. $5000 fine, doesn't begin to cover the cost of this. In addition, a point should be made (as these ATV people are so hard to catch), maybe a $10,000 fine plus a year in jail (mandatory), would make them think about never using an ATV again.

These ATV riders have gotten off scott-free for too long.
    Jail time for being stupid rednecks? Just give them a huge fine and several years worth of community service. Jails cost money and don't solve any problems except keeping dangerous people off the street. These people are stupid, not dangerous.

I like the idea of confiscating their ATV as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    Jail time for being stupid rednecks? Just give them a huge fine and several years worth of community service. Jails cost money and don't solve any problems except keeping dangerous people off the street. These people are stupid, not dangerous.

I like the idea of confiscating their ATV as well.
    perhaps the terms of probation should also mention, violation of probation if caught using a four wheeler again.

Images

I like the idea of confiscation of the ATVs ... and forbidding them to ever ride off-road again.

Just think if some hiker had been smoking a little marijuana while camping on Max Patch. He might have a vehicle confiscated and the book thrown at him, and at least one or more nights in jail, even though he did no damage at all. Same for robbing a bank. I've seen half dozen police cars with police dogs and shots fired at a poor fool who robbed a bank of about a hundred bucks.

Heck, some drunk kids who threw "Molatov cocktails" from/at the Wesser tower (causing no real damage?) were charged as "terrorists."

Yet, these vandals will probably never spend a night in jail and will probably get their misdemeanor records expunged to boot, and laugh about it.

I'd like to see a little more justice in the justice system.

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 02-25-2013 at 12:28.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I like the idea of confiscation of the ATVs ... and forbidding them to ever ride off-road again.

Just think if some hiker had been smoking a little marijuana while camping on Max Patch. He might have a vehicle confiscated and the book thrown at him, and at least one or more nights in jail, even though he did no damage at all. Same for robbing a bank. I've seen half dozen police cars with police dogs and shots fired at a poor fool who robbed a bank of about a hundred bucks.

Heck, some drunk kids who threw "Molatov cocktails" from/at the Wesser tower (causing no real damage?) were charged as "terrorists."

Yet, these vandals will probably never spend a night in jail and will probably get their misdemeanor records expunged to boot, and laugh about it.

I'd like to see a little more justice in the justice system.

Rain Man

Unfortunately, as you probably know forfeiture is not an option under federal law for this kind of crime. Wish it was though.

I am sure you are right, no jail time for this one. The federal magistrate can give community service. We can only hope.

Journal Entries

We've had some success in working with ATV groups in Maine. But it's slow and iffy work. A local ATV club promised to repair damage the machines had caused to town land trust lands in return for permission to use one abandoned logging road to reach adjacent property. We gave permission and lost one of our most valuable members as a result. The ATV club did none of the promised work. AT Vehicle use continues, but less damage is occurring. The fun of ATVing, apparently, is to spin tires in muddy areas to see how deep a rut one can create. Damage is relatively small when ATV's are just used for transportation between on place to another.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    FWIW I'd like to know how many here remember the 4 mile road walk prior to the USFS purchase of Max Patch.....
    All of the old AT books described that walk as one of extreme poverty.

How about maximum fines and then give them to HardCore or another similiar group for a hiking season.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rightfoot View Post
    How about maximum fines and then give them to HardCore or another similiar group for a hiking season.
    By federal law fines go to a general fund. The magistrate can give them away.

I would think the. U.S Attorney could work out a deal where they could agree to some type of donation and community service in return for the charges being dropped, but I'm not sure I would want that to happen, I'd rather see these guys hammered in court.
    Last edited by bfayer; 02-25-2013 at 14:14.

My question is, why aren't the jerks who did it the ones who are doing the repair? Seems pretty fair to me. and yes my understanding is they caught some of them.

While there is life there is hope.
    Guild Wars 2 Gold
    Diablo 3 Gold
    Cheap GW2 Gold

++ New Posts ++