WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pre GSMNP printer locations.

Where are hiker accessible printers located before the Smokies? Please indicate whether free or fee. If for some reason these are not internet connected, please note.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I would call the NOC and ask if they have one, if not the public library in Franklin would have one. Other than that I would think far and few between.

http://www.fontanalib.org/franklin/

NOC would be a good bet. Last time I was there they mailed a package home for me and let me use one of thier PC's in the office. Very friendly and helpfull staff if you ask politely Maybe they can set up a bunk and smokies permit package deal...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

LaurieP of the ATC has already told us how to print out our permits.

Use the printer thats IN YOUR HOUSE the day before you leave for Springer. You have 38 days to get thru the park. More than enough time.

You guys are making this way more complicated than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Use the printer thats IN YOUR HOUSE the day before you leave for Springer. You have 38 days to get thru the park. More than enough time.
    Okay, I read the latest rules which apply to thru-hikers and Max Patch it right. Sorry I thought different going by from what the NPS had originally stated.

A thru-hiker permit is good for 38 days from the time it is issued and can be used at any time during that period. You do have 8 days to complete getting through the park. In which case, most thru-hikers could get thier permit just before heading for the trail.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 02-13-2013 at 21:02.

Please note the white background indicating the SF forum. Just making a list for whatever reason someone might need to print or reprint their permit.

Also, I forgot to add, don't forget about SOBOs, BMT & MST hikers. If it is for one of the other trails, we can maybe break it out.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

The Towns County public library in Hiawassee has computer access (free, just register as a visitor first) and a printer and fax machine that they will let you use for a very small fee (under $1). Call tel (706)896-6169 for info on hours of operation. They used to be closed on Sat & Sun.

Images

Default Hiker Services

I'd bet Ron will be able to get it done!

http://www.ronhavenhikerservices.com/

Just a section hiker....

Images

NOC, fontana damn visitor centor, the hiker Inn my "jeff and nancy hock"
    Mile Marker 1095
    Gambit McCrae

The damn visitor center probably can't do, even if you happen to find them open. The lodge at Fontana village might do it.

Someone with an unlimited calling plan and some time to kill needs to make some phone calls and let us know I'm betting on NOC for NOBOs and Bluff outfitters in Hot Springs for SOBO's as your last chance places.

Default Locations where Nobos can obtain Smokies permits along A.T.

Although ATC encourages northbound thru-hikers to purchase their permits before they leave home, some hikers may want to wait until closer to their arrival to the Smokies to purchase one. I've compiled a list of options for northbounders who want to wait to purchase their Great Smoky Mountains National Park A.T. thru-hiker permit and get it somewhere along the way.

It is possible to wait until just before you reach Fontana Dam at the southern end of the park and get your permit at one of the businesses off the Trail, but it could add a measure of stress to your hike worrying that everything will fall into place when you get there. You might become close friends with someone who doesn't want to leave the Trail at this point and then you have to go your separate ways, or there could be some glitch that prevented or delayed you from getting the permit (power outage, computer or printer problem, etc.)

In addition to locations listed below, various business in towns along the Trail may have computer/printer services available. The Nantahala Outdoor Center is currently the only place right on the A.T. where you can print a permit. I obtained all of the information below via phone today by calling the businesses below.

Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap (32 miles north of Springer, on the A.T.) - Currently does not have a dedicated computer and printer. They are seeking donations of these items, and will install them if they become available.

Hiawassee (Towns County) Library (70 miles north of Springer, 11 miles west of A.T.) - Computer and printer available M-F. Hours 9-5, except Thurs. 10-6.
    15cents/page (permit is 2 pages).

Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) (137 miles north of Springer, 29 miles south of Fontana Dam, on the A.T.) - You can access a computer and printer and acquire your permit at the Outfitter Store or Guest Relations Office, both currently open 9-5 seven days a week. Starting March 7, both will be open 8-5. In mid-May, the hours will expand to 8-8. This is the only location actually on the A.T. where you can print out a permit.

Fontana Village Resort (1.4 south of Fontana Dam visitor center, 2 miles west of A.T.) - In the next few days will have a computer and printer for public access in the lodge accessible 24 hours/day.

The Hike Inn (1.4 south of Fontana Dam Visitor Center, 6 miles east of A.T.). - No computer access for hikers, but owners can assist hikers w/ permits using phone, email and their personal printer.

The Fontana Dam Visitor Center (on the A.T., just south of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park entrance) does not usually open until May, and there is currently no public computer/printer access.

Laurie Potteiger
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy

For southbounders, I would imagine there are several places in Hot Springs to print out a permit including Bluff Mountain Outfitter and the public library.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Let me double check but the library in Erwin would also work.

LaurieP,
    I don't know what the heck we would do without you. Thanks for your dedication.

Images

i know this is straight forward, but with all the smartphones out there couldn't you just store it to memory and display if asked? don't need a connection to do this. you could also convert to jpeg and store on camera chip. is this an option?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Default Smart Phones not an Option

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i know this is straight forward, but with all the smartphones out there couldn't you just store it to memory and display if asked? don't need a connection to do this. you could also convert to jpeg and store on camera chip. is this an option?
    Kayak Karl, Sorry, but displaying your permit on your smart phone is not an option. We have asked the park this specific question and have been told you must have the paper permit. Keep in mind temperatures in the Smokies can be very cold during northbound thru-hiker season, and smartphones may not be functional at very low temperatures. I don't know if this was part of the reasoning in not accepting a digital display of the permit.

For those not familiar with the Smokies weather, there's an excellent link on the Great Smoky Mountains National Park website at www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm that lists temperature and precipitation data at various locations at different elevations in the park for the last 24 hours. Newfound Gap (at 5000') is the only location on the A.T., but the Mt. LeConte (at 6400') readings are comparable to that conditions that would be found at higher elevations of the A.T. It's showing a low of 29 yesterday and 1" of snow on the ground. It's not unusual for early thru-hikers to encounter temperatures in the single digits or teens in the Smokies.

Laurie P.
    ATC

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Please note the white background indicating the SF forum. Just making a list for whatever reason someone might need to print or reprint their permit.

Also, I forgot to add, don't forget about SOBOs, BMT & MST hikers. If it is for one of the other trails, we can maybe break it out.
    The BMT will probably be the only trouble being the most remote of the NC trails.

The MST should not be too difficult. EastBound Hikers should be able to get their permits at home prior to leaving Clingman's Dome. WestBound Hikers and depending on the route...hikers can probably can go to Pisgah Inn, Western Carolina University, Sylva, Tuckaseegee Outfitters, Waynesville, or Bryson City to print permits.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

BMT sobo is no problem. It's nobo that'll need to be worked out.

Actually, one option for a nobo BMT hiker would be to hike down the Pinhoti 3 miles to Buddy Cove Gap and call the folks at Mulberry Gap for a ride back to their camp/hostel. They are super nice and I'm sure they'd let you print a permit.

It's also a great place to take a hot shower, sleep in a bed, and send a mail drop.

Laurie- thank you for the information. As luck would have it, I may be able to help out Mountain Crossings with a computer and printer donation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++