WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The standard pot per the Jet Boil site is .8 liter:
    http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/sol-cooking-ti.html

A bit over 3 cups or 3.38 cups to be precise.

A standard Mountain House "two person" (HA!) meal is 600 calories, divided by two people is 300 calories. That's 2.5 servings per package
    http://www.mountainhouse.com/nutr.cfm
    http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.m...gory_Code=MHDL

The "Pro Packs" are gussied up versions of above:
    http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.m...Category_Code=

But with only 400 calories. :O

That takes two cups of H20 according to the directions to make.

You must be using that New Math or something.

You can fudge numbers sure..but these are direct from the manufacturer.

I know you enginerds love your gear, but this is getting ridiculous. You like your toy..cool. And god knows it is fast and efficient. But raw numbers suggest it may not be the most efficient for real world use with multiple people unless you add a bigger pot and spend more money.

I really can't see otherwise after doing some basic math with standard backpacking meals. But I am not the smartest dude admittedly.

I think I've done beating the horse.

EDIT: Admittedly, I am looking at this from LD hiker viewpoint and not a weekend hiker view point. Different scenario for sure. I really can't exaggerate how much hiker hunger is on a LD hike.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-18-2013 at 20:12.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The standard pot per the Jet Boil site is .8 liter:
    http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/sol-cooking-ti.html

A bit over 3 cups or 3.38 cups to be precise.

You must be using that New Math or something.

You can fudge numbers sure..but these are direct from the manufacturer.

I know you enginerds love your gear, but this is getting ridiculous. You like your toy..cool. And god knows it is fast and efficient. But raw numbers suggest it may not be the most efficient for real world use with multiple people unless you add a bigger pot and spend more money.

I really can't see otherwise after doing some basic math with standard backpacking meals. But I am not the smartest dude admittedly.

I think I've done beating the horse.
    But I'm not. I think you're calling me a liar. I just filled the JB to ~1/4" below the rim, then poured it into a 4-cup measureing cup. 3.5 cups. Not sure where the 0.8 spec fill "line" is with the JB. My wife uses ~400 cal meals, 1.3-1.5 cups required. Check out Mary Jane meals (her favorite). I'm a simple MH man, like you say, around 600 cal, 2 cups. AGAIN, the JB Sol Ti, regular cup works perfectly for a couple, like ourselves. How can you go on making arguments when we have used this thing for over a year now and it has worked perfectly for us? You have probably never touched one. You are being silly. And misleading. But: YOU have the power, just delete me if you don't like anyone disputing your Most Excellent advice. You do have great stuff, usually, but when it comes to this little stove, you know not what you speak of. Off to hike! (yes, after dark).

Wo. Now, thats intense. Just wait for the Trangia Church representatives to step in the thread.

Wait, I am a Trangia Church member ...

I used pop stove while the fun lasted. I liked the Macgyver feeling until 10 years old use them. Went back to Trangia. But its cool to be able to build one if necessary. Trangia is pretty much worry-proof. You light, you cook, you snuff. No alcohol collecting, calculating. Just screw the cap on and thats it. A stove that is almost a hundred years old. Pocket Rock what ?? Tell me in a 100 years.

Thats what I mostly use. Plus esbit (nearly 80 years old) plus wood. Options. You need options. And oh, yes I have a 48g canister stove in my pack as a backup. Used it in 2011. 2012, no. 2013, we will see.

If your setup can burn alcohol, esbit (or likes) and wood and you bring a little of everything, you will be fine. The tiny gas stove as backup is always a good idea.

Intense..nah.. Being from RI, we think of arguing as just normal discussion. We also don't take it as seriously as others.

This is just a way to kill time between trips.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The MSR Whisperlite is the ticket. And oh by the way you CAN simmer with it!! Its so easy to light, easy to maintain and is built to cook and cook either in a hurry or slower simmer. For the weight difference that you will have between that and a beer can stove - the Whisperlite is the Go-To stove. One thing you dont want to worry about is a stove that craps out on you on the trail. The MSR Whisperlite will not do that! I understand why they use the little penny stoves - but they can be temperamental and not work when needed.

I would go with the Whisperlite any day!!!

Images

Best and most effective? All depends on your hiking style, budget and so on. I'm too lazy to type this up again..so here's my usual link.

Or, the Q&D:

• If you are resupplying for less than ten meals, solo and three-season backpacking: Alcohol Stove
    • If you are a couple and/or going long time between resupplies, want a convenient way to boil water or need to do real cooking:
      Canister Stove other than Jet Boil
    • If you are solo and want a convenient all in one solution and/or fast boil times: Jetboil or MSR Reactor
    • If you are winter camping/high altitude mountaineering OR doing 3+ person meals: White Gas Stove
    • Doing lots of "real cooking" in a forest environment and not hiking far: Zip Stove
    • Want the absolute lightest stove and price/resupply (and don't mind slower boil times) is not an issue: Esbit
    • Prefer to go the ultra-minimalist route and want very little to no futzing: No stove.

Remember…it is just a stove at the end of the day. Gear is the least important part of backpacking. No matter stove you use, the mountain ranges are awesome, the sunsets are grand and those wildflower blooms will be gorgeous. Take what works and enjoy!
    +100 Best, most comprehensive summation I've ever seen.
    By the way I spent a bit of money and got the Evernew alcohol stove.
    Works just like a pepsican stove but made of titanium.
    You could drive a truck over it without breaking it.

i have a hobo stove that i made, it works well for me.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Intense..nah.. Being from RI, we think of arguing as just normal discussion. We also don't take it as seriously as others.

This is just a way to kill time betweego RAMSn trips.
    Hmmm....at one point I would have said we must be related, as I always thought the argumentative thing was genetic, not geographical. But after having lived in several regions I must agree with you and conclude that Rhode Islanders have brought "casual ornery" to an art form. I'm rather proud of my "debating" skills and ability to beat just about any horse not only to the ground, but the requisite 6 feet under.... go Rhodies!

Oh....and Snacktime and I are heading out on our first adventure with a pair of Esbits....slow and stinky, yes (the stoves, not us...yet) but they came through like troopers when we "tested" them in the recent blizzard's 2 day power outage.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Hmmm....at one point I would have said we must be related, as I always thought the argumentative thing was genetic, not geographical. But after having lived in several regions I must agree with you and conclude that Rhode Islanders have brought "casual ornery" to an art form. I'm rather proud of my "debating" skills and ability to beat just about any horse not only to the ground, but the requisite 6 feet under.... go Rhodies!

Oh....and Snacktime and I are heading out on our first adventure with a pair of Esbits....slow and stinky, yes (the stoves, not us...yet) but they came through like troopers when we "tested" them in the recent blizzard's 2 day power outage.
    Sounds good. More importantly, have you yet attempted to dehydrate a trio of gaggers from Rod's Grill, or a bottle of Autocrat?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Sounds good. More importantly, have you yet attempted to dehydrate a trio of gaggers from Rod's Grill, or a bottle of Autocrat?
    The gaggers are "All da way" of course....

I introduce my wife to the wonders of coffee syrup on our last trip. She's addicted (to that and to Scialo Bros on the hill. She said it as good as any bakery she had growing up in Germany!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Journal Entries
    Images

Please....I live down the street from Rod's....and if you know the place, then you'll know that the weiners are free....tomorrow. And if I could figure a way to carry both the Autocrat and the milk in my pack (powdered doesn't cut it) then I'd be all over coffee milk with lunch eat day!

What I REALLY wish I could do is figure out a way to keep the Del's cold!

What I REALLY wish I could do is figure out a way to keep the Del's cold!
    Is rumor correct and are strictly out of dispensers ala the slurpies at 7/11? See it ain't so..
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Journal Entries
    Images

The gaggers are "All da way" of course....

I introduce my wife to the wonders of coffee syrup on our last trip. She's addicted (to that and to Scialo Bros on the hill. She said it as good as any bakery she had growing up in Germany!)

Is there any other way? (and preferably served from the forearm of a hairy, sweaty dude from Olneyville)

Your wife (and you) should come to Warren and get a coffee malted from Delekta's Pharmacy .... just a block away from Rod's, and a great dessert.

Journal Entries
    Images

Is rumor correct and are strictly out of dispensers ala the slurpies at 7/11? See it ain't so..
    It isn't so...rest easy. Still available from the green trucks or the corner stands, though you can buy the mix at the grocery now..but I wouldn't.

And the Big Blue Bug has one every summer all summer long.
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 02-24-2013 at 22:20.

I use a scent can for auto deodorizer,with a carbon fiber wick. Boils 2 cups for 1/2 oz fuel. Coffee for half that.

I have them hold the celery salt, but otherwise I'm in. And delivering them "on arm" is the only way. I've been gone a long time, but of course I know Rod's Grill. Had my first job in Warren in the late 70's as the stock boy at the Cumberland Farms on Market Street. Having grown up in the formerly dry town next door, we spent a lot of time in Warren in our "formative" years. My Dad lives there now.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have them hold the celery salt, but otherwise I'm in. And delivering them "on arm" is the only way. I've been gone a long time, but of course I know Rod's Grill. Had my first job in Warren in the late 70's as the stock boy at the Cumberland Farms on Market Street. Having grown up in the formerly dry town next door, we spent a lot of time in Warren in our "formative" years. My Dad lives there now.

Cumbies is still there, but there's a bike path where the train tracks used to be, and a Savon shoes where Jamiels used to be, and a new playground if you turn right where the high school used to be. Is that enough RI for you?

Cumbies is still there, but there's a bike path where the train tracks used to be, and a Savon shoes where Jamiels used to be, and a new playground if you turn right where the high school used to be. Is that enough RI for you?
    Indeed. I walked down that bike path from around the Bristol line to get the Warren Quahog festival the last few years. And I do know that Jack's Family Restaurant is still in business, as is Jack's Bar, and that The Tap, which became Mundy's, is no longer.

Images

Now you have another option to go with all three fuels:

The Titanium Titan-3

I used the super cat and it worked great.

The good thing about the super cat is that it weighs nothing. So, if you want to chill out and not cook for a stint it doesn't matter that you still have your stove. And, you can find heet (yellow not red) at any gas station.

PS: I have to admit...I was always secretly jealous of the jet boil though...The hikers with those were eating 10-15 mins before me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++