Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: organic soap

Default organic soap

I am looking for an organic soap shampoo/body soap 2 n 1.
    I have thick long hair Any suggestions for non oily product?

Thank u in advance!

Hi,

This is a recipe for a hair soap bar, it's a lye soap so it would work fine on your body. If you make it yourself, you can be sure to use organic oils. If you don't mind the ingredients not being organic, there is a link at the bottom that takes you to her etsy page, where she sells the soap so you don't have to make it. She also sells sample pieces if you want to try it.

Or you can just search "organic shampoo bar" on etsy and get 20 gazillon hits.

http://frugallysustainable.com/2011/...r-soap-recipe/

Journal Entries

I doubt if any soap is truly organic. Most basic soaps are a combination of oil, vegetable or mineral, and a caustic mineral. But for at least 50 years, I've used slivers off a bar of Ivory Soap while backpacking for body, hair and other washing needs. I used Ivory initially because as a child I remembered that it was advertised as ideal for a baby's skin. A more mature research suggested that it is also safest for the environment.

Dr Bronner's is good stuff and not hard to find. As a side benefit the label is hilarious. Nothing makes you feel cleaner than the ramblings of a crazy old hippy. All One!

Try J. R. Liggett's soaps. I think you will like them. They have a web site but you can sometimes find their soaps at natual food stores.

For going lightweight, I like Travelon soap sheets. They make body wash, shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, etc.

http://www.travelonbags.com/accessor...p-sheets-wipes

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfnebula View Post
    Dr Bronner's is good stuff and not hard to find. As a side benefit the label is hilarious. Nothing makes you feel cleaner than the ramblings of a crazy old hippy. All One!
    I'm planning a section hike for the fall. I'm wondering which fragrance I should get: would really like the peppermint but don't want to attract critters. I wonder if the eucalyptus would be a better choice since this is an ingredient in natural bug spray...

Images

Dr. Bronners also has bar soap. I carry a peice of Dr. Bronners unscented baby soap for all purposes.

Dr. Bronners peppermint soap for hair, body, teeth, clothes, dishes and mild laxative.

Journal Entries

Dr. Bronners gets my vote as well. When you stop at Hostels they will have shampoos and soaps.

Dr. Bronners soap is definitely the way to go in my opinion...face, skin, hair, etc. I have long curly hair and use it for everything when I am backpacking.

Not sure if they have a 2-in-1 (would be surprised if they didn't), but Lush products might be something to look into.

Wink Smells and Things

Quote Originally Posted by chris too View Post
    I'm planning a section hike for the fall. I'm wondering which fragrance I should get: would really like the peppermint but don't want to attract critters. I wonder if the eucalyptus would be a better choice since this is an ingredient in natural bug spray...
    A little hiking humor cause I turned 66 yesterday. So Papa Boo Boo Bear says to Moma Boo Boo Bear, "I think that hiker smells like a candy cane". So Moma Boo Boo says "Lets go check out the hiker who smells like a candy cane, or maybe not. Maybe the hiker smells like a cough drop". Muske-gon I am not picking on you. I am just having a little fun with the smells you are thinking of using.

I cast my vote for Dr. Bronner's soap. Good all-purpose stuff. However, if you use it as "toothpaste", a little goes a long way. Too much and you'll feel like you're being punished for saying naughty words.

Images

Decades ago, wife and I used Dr. Bronner's for our caving weekends. In recent years, having begun backpacking and learning that scents attract critters, I switched to Wonder Wash. Label says pH Neutral, All Natural, Fragrance Free, All Purpose Soap, Biodegradeable, and so forth. I transfer about half-an-ounce or so to an empty contact lens drops bottle and hit the trail. Good stuff IMHO.

I get mine at REI, but don't see it on their web site, so here's a link to the maker's website--
    All Terrain's Wonder Wash. (The link works, but seems to take a long time to load.)

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 05-23-2013 at 10:29. Reason: fix link
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Decades ago, wife and I used Dr. Bronner's for our caving weekends. In recent years, having begun backpacking and learning that scents attract critters, I switched to Wonder Wash. Label says pH Neutral, All Natural, Fragrance Free, All Purpose Soap, Biodegradeable, and so forth. I transfer about half-an-ounce or so to an empty contact lens drops bottle and hit the trail. Good stuff IMHO.

I get mine at REI, but don't see it on their web site, so here's a link to the maker's website--
    All Terrain's Wonder Wash. (The link works, but seems to take a long time to load.)

RainMan

Campmor has Wonder Wash
    Blackheart

Dr. Bronner's also comes unscented. Keep in mind it is a concentrate and meant to be diluted!!!

I use Dr. Bronners peppermint year-round. Kills me not being able to get it abroad. Would be a bit harsh on long hair, but I keep mine close-cropped so it feels great.

use Dr.Bronners for laundry too. take your hiking shirt and soak it in a few drops of Dr.Bronner for a few hour or overnight. Rinse. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by CKM View Post
    I use Dr. Bronners peppermint year-round. Kills me not being able to get it abroad. Would be a bit harsh on long hair, but I keep mine close-cropped so it feels great.
    Let me go

I have the Dr. Bronner's lavender scented soap. It has a very strong smell! I'm concerned that it may be an attractant to critters! What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++