WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Wide Hiking Shoes for a woman

I did a search and could not locate any forum topic about WIDE hiking shoes.

I am a female with a forefoot that is 3.75" and a heel width that is 2.5" and what is called a 'high volume foot.'

Most women's hiking shoes are between 3" to 3.5" at the forefoot and made for Medium volume feet.

The Women's Keens are too narrow. Women's Merrells, Vasque, TNF, anything sold at EMS and REI and most gear stores I've been to along the Appalachian Trail from GA to MA are too narrow.

I've tried the New Balance Wide Width and they're too narrow at the toe because my foot is like a \_/ and my toes are actually as wide as my forefoot and don't go to a 'point' like the NB shoes do. I need a Wide Toe Box.

I'm willing to spend some money if I need to, but not $200 or more for a hand-made shoe.

I wear an 8 and would need a Men's size 6 [and would like to try on a 6.5 for comparison] ... a Vibram soled shoe in that size is difficult if not nearly impossible to find in most gear stores. I've done an online search for men's size 6 shoes, but can't locate all the information I need about forefoot and heel width. I hate buying something online and having to return it. [Did that with Zappos, had to return different shoes 3 times before I gave up.] I'd rather find a store where I can try on the shoe. Unfortunately, the information about forefoot and heel width is missing from the 'details' on men's and women's shoes when I go web-browsing. [Other than EMS which does list the heel and forefoot width of most shoes. Their Men's sizes start at 7 and their child sizes don't list the widths.] I'm going to EMS next week to look at their 'youth' shoes which do go up to a size 6. The Gear Store in Knoxville [http://riversportsoutfitters.com/] did not have any Keen size 6 in stock when I was there a couple weeks ago.

Besides trying the Keen Youth Size shoes at EMS next week, any suggestions?

When I get "home" I'm going to the Podiatrist to see if he has something I can wear that's wide enough, but so far all I've found at the Podiatrist's are shoes that do not have Vibram soles or else are considered "walking shoes" and I wonder at their durability and use on the Appalachian Trail. I really would prefer a Vibram sole to a 'walking' sole.

Thank you for your help ...

Coosa

My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Images

Try men's shoes by Asics. I/we experienced the same toe box issue with NB. Asics Gt 2000 or 3000 and the asics forte is even slightly wider in the 4E My wife wears a men's 9 4E due to bunions...GL
    See ya when I get there.

Images

Have you tried Brooks Cascadia 7 trail runners yet? I did 1900 miles of my thruhike in them and I wore the men's because I have high volume feet, both wide and tall and I had to go too long on the women's to get the volume I needed. The nice thing is that even though they were a bit snug on the wide part of my forefoot, they have some give there and I never got blisters with them. I first found them at an orthopedic shoe store.

Thank you, I'll hunt for some Size 6's ... Let's hope they make them and I can locate them.

Coosa
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

The Brooks Cascadia 7 sounds promising if I can locate them in a Men's Size 6.

I knew I could get some new ideas if I asked.

Coosa
    Hike Your Own Hike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    The Brooks Cascadia 7 sounds promising if I can locate them in a Men's Size 6.

I knew I could get some new ideas if I asked.

Coosa
    Good luck! I tried a lot of different shoes and boots before I found them, and I didn't even get a chance to hike in them before I started my thruhike. I found them about three days before I was supposed to get on my flight. Broke them in at the airport, lol.

Images

I had this exact issue! With the added problem that I needed a good amount of cushioning.

After months of trial and error and trying a crazy number of types of shoes, I finally settled on men's New Balance light hikers. They have a deep and wide toe box, and they come in widths up to 4D (in men's). I wear women's 8, but it turns out I'm comfortable in men's 8 when I put in my cushion insole. So I'm wearing men's 8 DDDD shoes.

Good luck with your hunt!

I wear Merrell Moab Ventilators in a wide width.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

inov 8 terroc! I have a super hard time finding wide enough forefoot shoes and I'm super psyched to find these run really wide. I do measure an 8, but I got these in a 9 1/2.

cary

My usual walking/hiking shoes are Merrill Moabs, but the running shoes I've found that fit (in wide widths) are Asics 2170, Brooks Adrenaline and Saucony Eschelon. I ended up buying the Asics to run in, but haven't worn them hiking. I was told the Adrenalines would be good for trail running.

One reason I don't want to have to buy online has to do with the what is mentioned above ... wearing a woman's 8 in a regular shoe and then a 9.5 in a hiking shoe. Or a Woman's 8 and then a hiking shoe in a Man's 8.

I'm going to EMS this week and will try on Youth and Men's shoes.

And remember, sometimes, they'll make a Women's size only in a "M" but they'll make the Men's sizes in both "M" and "W" ... frustrating.

Thanks for all the advice.
    Coosa
    Hike Your Own Hike

++ New Posts ++