WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Enlightened Equipment Quilt

I want to share my experience with EnLIGHTened Equipment quilts here since this where I first heard of them. Even though I live in the same state where they are made, I learned of them reading the forums here at Whiteblaze.

Last Sept. I decided to try an EE quilt. I emailed the owner, Tim, to inquire. He responded immediately and was very helpful in deciding what I wanted. I ordered an in stock 30* revX quilt. Tim gave me an ETA of two weeks. I agreed that would be fine but mentioned I was going on a trip in one week and if the quilt got here in time I would be thrilled. He made no promises. I was shocked when it was at my door four days later! For a cottage company providing specialty gear I thought that was astonishing service.

When I opened the box and looked at the quilt I was amazed. The weight was accurate. The design, workmanship and materials seemed to be top notch. I know the material is cosmetic seconds but there is NOTHING that I can see that would make me think it was seconds. It looked perfect.

I took my new 30* quilt out on a three day trip on the NCT in central Minnesota that weekend. The temps the first two nights were in the mid 30's and I slept perfectly comfortable in the quilt, with no extra layers. The third night was colder, 26* reported but maybe a degree or two colder on the trail. I did wear an extra base layer that night anticipating the cold but again I was warm- this time feeling toasty except for an occasional cool spot during the night. I am a very active sleeper, rolling from side to front to other side and back constantly throughout the night. I was very impressed by the quality as well as the design. I never thought a quilt would work so well for me, let alone at temps beyond the rating.

I thought about the quilt after the trip. I realized that If I would have ordered the overstuff, as Tim had suggested, this quilt would have gotten me down to 20* or even lower. I emailed Tim after turkey dinner on Thanksgiving day, thinking he would respond after the holiday. He responded within two minutes! ON THANKSGIVING! Tim thought the reason I had cool spots was that I did not reposition the down correctly, and I totally agree. I did not reposition the down at all, and the way I toss around it is no wonder it shifted a bit. Tim suggested overstuffing would help this minor issue. He explained that the new quilts will come with this overstuff as standard. Remember, I only experienced this at temps well below the rating of the quilt. I decided to wait until after the holiday season to send it back as I already felt bad for pestering him on Thanksgiving.

Fast forward to February. I finally decided to get around to sending it in. I emailed Tim to refresh him on the situation and let him know it was on the way back. Again he responded immediately. I told him I expected to pay extra, above the normal overstuff price, as this was what I ordered and doing it after the fact was certainly more work for him. He responded to just ship it back and get it done. I also mentioned that I needed the quilt back by the end of May so he had three months do get it done. I shipped the quilt to him on Sat. and thought no more.

The quilt was on my doorstep today, five days after I sent it in! Not only did he do this so quickly, he also did not charge me any extra for doing this overstuff after the initial order, which he had every right to do. He also paid the shipping back to me! This was clearly not his responsibility either. The down in the newly overstuffed quilt is obviously more shift resistant that before. I took a catnap on the deck today and there were no cold spots at all. I was a little chilly but it was only 9 degrees. I am confident that the quilt will be solid down to 20* or lower. remember this is a 30* rated quilt! disclaimer:I do sleep warm and I am acclimated to northern MN temps so order your quilt accordingly.

EnLIGHTENED Equipment has provided me with a product of exceptional quality. The design, materials and workmanship are all top notch. Perhaps more important is the phenomenal customer service Tim has provided. I don't think I have ever experienced better service. EnLIGHTENED Equipment has greatly exceeded every expectation I had. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Thank you EnLIGHTENED Equipment!

Images

Thank you for sharing your experience.

100% agree on everything about Enlightened Equipment. The 0 degree with overstuffing is a furnace.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the above. I had a fine summer trip last with my 30F quilt and now I'm considering replacing my three-season bag with another EE quilt. I ordered mine "normally", was quoted a 6-week lead time, and that's exactly what it took. The weight of mine was right on, too. The quality and function exceeded expectations.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Default Enlightened Equipment Quilt

I have an all 10d one and its luxurious.

Very happy with mine.

Images

Thanks for sharing, Archie! I'll be getting a couple of their quilts in the next few weeks - very excited to test them out.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Images

I have heard nothing but good things about them and their products. Hopefully someday I will find out myself

I also had a positive experience with EE. Great communication with Tim, super fast turn around time on my order and a very well crafted product. I highly recommend Enlightened Equipment to anyone looking for a quilt. I've had my 20* over-filled RevX on a few trips this winter and it has kept me very comfortable.

Journal Entries

Great experience with them here too.
    Tim lives with his phone in his hand, thats why email is replied to instantly. Even at 11pm at night, you will likely have a response in minutes.

I got a Revelation 20 a month ago. I can also say that Tim is incredibly responsive.

I had never had a quilt before and was somewhat skeptical. However, EE has a guarantee that if you find quilts aren't for you, you can return them. I field tested mine a couple times ahead of a 2 month AT section hike coming up, and I absolutely loved it. Temps got down to 32 and I was perfectly fine. I felt that it could have easily gone to 20 as rated. I don't see why I'd ever go back to sleeping bags except in extremely cold weather.

I love my Revelation X 20 and I continue to marvel at how much value you get for so little cost.

Thanks for this....I was close to pulling the trigger on another quilt maker, for a smaller and more expensive one, but after reading this and searching the net where I found lots of good comments, I'm leaning towards this bigger, same weight, cheaper quilt. Thanks again.

Thanks for the review, I've been looking to get one of these for a while.

Images

Your thread ..has gained Tim a new customer .. I've been looking at his products .. the Cuben quilts are my gear investment

Images

It'll be nice to have someone else around here with a cuben fiber quilt.

Images

I have a RevelationX O degree TQ, Great quilt. Looking to order a 20 or 30 degree TQ for warner weather. While the material is suppose to be factory 2nds/cosmetically flawed, I have yet to find any defects. One of the best priced TQs out there.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I am looking at these now. I think I may get the synthetic Prodigy quilt. Anyone have one to tell me about it.

Images

Tim did not answer my phone or email,............................................ ............. Because I never called or emailed him.

Quote Originally Posted by memphistiger02 View Post
    I am looking at these now. I think I may get the synthetic Prodigy quilt. Anyone have one to tell me about it.
    I have a 20 degree prodigy. Can't say anything bad about it. Most people say synthetics don't pack as small, but it is not a large noticeable difference.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++