WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm thinking about buying a Revelation 20* but not sure what size. I'm slightly over 6'2, 165 lbs. I'm pretty sure I need the long for the length but not sure about the width. I want enough room that the quilt mostly surrounds me even underneath me, on my pad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheRob View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a Revelation 20* but not sure what size. I'm slightly over 6'2, 165 lbs. I'm pretty sure I need the long for the length but not sure about the width. I want enough room that the quilt mostly surrounds me even underneath me, on my pad.
    I'm slightly over 6', hovering between 170 & 175 lbs. I have the Revelation 20* long, wide. I love it. I sleep on my side, and I toss a lot in my sleep when I'm not in my hammock; my wide feels as comfortable and roomy as a comforter.

The price difference is minimal, and to me the nighttime comfort justifies the weight. Personal preference.

Fort Thomas, Ky. (Land of Milk and Honey!)

Thanks to all regarding the comments on use of quilt and sleeping pad arrangements. I guess I just need to try it out and see what works best! I am definately leaning towards an EE quilt.... for the Summer choice. Thanks again....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    I'm slightly over 6', hovering between 170 & 175 lbs. I have the Revelation 20* long, wide. I love it. I sleep on my side, and I toss a lot in my sleep when I'm not in my hammock; my wide feels as comfortable and roomy as a comforter.

The price difference is minimal, and to me the nighttime comfort justifies the weight. Personal preference.
    I am right at 6'. With a little more girth than you I will get the wide. Not sure about length. 6' seems to be the cut off. At 6' tall should I get the long or regular?

Images

I recently picked up an EE RevX 10* wide and it's AMAZING. I've used it on the ground with a pad and in a hammock as a top quilt. I bought the wide because the price difference was only $10 more and figured it would give me better coverage as an under quilt. Yes, you can also use it as an underquilt. I can't say enough about Tim's customer service.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I am right at 6'. With a little more girth than you I will get the wide. Not sure about length. 6' seems to be the cut off. At 6' tall should I get the long or regular?
    To be specific, I'm about a third of an inch over 6'.

I could get away with the regular length just as I could get away with the regular width. Both make the quilt feel more roomy, just in different directions. I sleep better when I don't feel constrained, so I opted for this larger quilt. I would probably opt for shorter before opting for narrower. To answer your question: I think you'll be fine with the shorter quilt, but I personally like the slightly longer one.

I find this quilt very comfortable over a wide range of temperatures. Synched down tight, wearing a smartwool baselayer, and wearing my Arc'teryx balaclava, I've been *very* toasty in the low twenties (could definitely have gone colder).

One tip: I find it is important to fluff the quilt once every day or two of hiking by holding the side edges and foot and shaking to allow down to migrate to the center of the quilt; otherwise, insulation redistributes to the periphery over time.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Professor View Post
    ...One tip: I find it is important to fluff the quilt once every day or two of hiking by holding the side edges and foot and shaking to allow down to migrate to the center of the quilt; otherwise, insulation redistributes to the periphery over time.
    This is my experience as well. I like the baffling system because it allows moving the down in two directions, but it also needs daily "maintenance", I've found. I wouldn't change a thing about the quilt.

Appreciate all the input. I have a Marmot Helium for the AT next March, but have been looking for a quilt for kayak camping. Definitely going to check out the EE.

Question......I have looked at the RevX 20 - I assume that you can use it as you would a sleeping bag - both over and under you - basicall zipping up in it or in warmer climates you could just use it on top....Correct???

No zipper on a quilt. You can pull it around you if it's large enough.

Ahhh...Looks closed or zippered on the pictures from EE.........still looks warm!!! I am about to pull the trigger!! Onder how tight you can get it around you? My Neo Air is soft.

I was partly wrong, there is a zipper to close up the foot box, about two feet long. There are loops along the open edges that you can use with included straps to hold it close around you. I've never needed to use them. Another option is something that's used on the Ray Jardine quilt are non-insulated "wings" about 6" wide sewn along the open edges. You use these "draft stoppers" to pull the quilt tight around you. They work well.

And, just when you thought Enlightened Equipment had it going on Tim comes up with the Enigma in Down Tek 850 AND somehow manages to shave off more wt!

I'm looking at the ProdigyX 20 short and wide for my shoulder season setup. I don't get out much in the summer any more. I ground sleep with a tarp since I have the dogs. I think I can get the female to hammock with me, but my male doesn't like the movement, nor does he enjoy sleeping with no cover (maybe if I extend the tarp to the ground?) in any case my boyfriend likes my HH and I'm fine on the ground (he isn't).

I'm going with short/wide because I'm 5'3", move in my sleep, and the male dog burrows under my covers at night anyway. Waking up to a dog stuck head first in your bag with his head at your knees and his butt in your face is not recommended.

I use an Exped Synmat despite the weight because it's very comfortable and warm for me. I didn't sleep cold when I was younger, but I do now. The dog's help me a bit with heat, too.

I have a good 45F summer bag that lies mostly flat, so I'm not sure it's worth getting a second quilt for summer given how little I get to go out then.

Addendum: I emailed Tim a while back and he agrees that the synthetic is the way to go given the tarp and the dogs. I'm going to pick up the 20* quilt if I end up doing my Sheltowee Trace trip later in the year instead of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    In hindsight, that's the way I wish I had progressed. Get it dialed in with quilts in warm weather THEN consider and go to quilts in below 30* conditions. I'm just not feeling the quilt vibe for COLD weather(much below about 25*) for the way I sleep and typically gear up. I'd rather have the highest end UL conventional(1/4 zip though) sleeping bag FOR ME while tarping and/or cowboying in COLD weather. If I was inside a tent I would reconsider the quilt for temps below 25*. I'm flexible in my various approaches though and am willing to hear what others do. I know I'm still somewhere on the middle of the quilt learning curve so I feel I have a lot to yet understand.
    I've been using quilts for 3 years and my take is if its really gonna get cold below 25*, I break out WM versalite. I sleep cold. I usually get a long quilt (JRB) and pull it around my head like a hood as the temps get lower than 30*. After 25* the little drafts get to me.

I noticed that EE now offers a bottom zipper option on the Engima wide and extra wide versions.

in only the past few days, EE has changed their website, doesn't look like they offer the X at all, and have a smaller selection of colors

Images

I should have purchased a quilt earlier. Karo baffles are gone, and there's only duck down or water resistant goose down for a couple hundred dollars more. I suppose duck down is okay as long as the fill power is still high, but I would have preferred karo baffles.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRob View Post
    So I got the RevelationX 20* long/wide with 2oz of down overstuff for Christmas and was able to test it out at around 23*F and was warm even when only wearing a long sleeve shirt, shorts, and a beanie. This thing is is large enough to completely surround me and put allow me to put my head inside if it gets cold enough. Awesome buy and pretty good price ($230) considering its competitors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++