WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If you actually do a thru hike, the first register you come to will be a good time for your mind to start thinking..."how do I want to sign this?"

And then the next register you may re-think "how do I want to sign this?"

At some point it will become the way you want it to be.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

YES - kudos to the sir farts-a-lot idea! I've been using sgt easy since my squad of (armed) hikers gave it to me back in 1968; but for my upcoming solo, I'd be happy to have the gaseous moniker, or any other fitting name..

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I started with a picked name, and the second night out, I got my trail name from a two time thru-hiker...meant alot more. Let your name find you, it will make for a much better story!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by TEXMAN View Post
    It sure is easier to start with a trailname ... you will meet so many people in the beginning and probably never see most of them again so it doesn't matter for them, but those few who may want to keep track of you won't know who you are if you wait until someone gives one farther down the trail...
    Old Man River
    Easily remedied by signing the first few registers after being christened with "Trail-name", the hiker formerly known as "Previous Name"

Quote Originally Posted by douginky View Post
    Easily remedied by signing the first few registers after being christened with "Trail-name", the hiker formerly known as "Previous Name"
    I like this idea. Hah. I've got another year before I start my thru (May 2014) but I've just had a few ideas that have stuck in my head, but I really do want it to be conferred by others. Fate will do what she does best I suppose!
    Thanks everyone, hah!

I also want one that's never been used before (by checking the records with the ATC) and the one I like has never been used....but again, fate will do what she does--I am just a mere mortal.

Images

I started sobo with a trail name that I chose. It was already based on something significant and it had a funny story behind it. As a late-start sobo I was happy that I began with a trail name because you could go most of the trail without one. Two or three fellow sobos didn't pick up names until just about Harpers Ferry. That's not necessarily a problem, but I was glad I had mine to sign in the registers the whole way. That said, I was open to picking up a trail-derived name if a good one came along... never did.

I will not accept a trail name...nor will I respond to anyone that confers one upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fur Queue View Post
    I will not accept a trail name...nor will I respond to anyone that confers one upon me.
    Ok Francis...taker easy now!

Quote Originally Posted by alxflwrs View Post
    I've thought about it a lot, and still can come to no conclusion.
    I hereby dub ye "Sir Vacillating".

You're welcome.

Why? You don't think a trail name can be "earned" on a section hike?
    I definitely think it can be earned on a section hike. Since I don't get out there that often, my chances of earning one are reduced.

I dub thee Flatlander. Phew. That was easy.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Why? You don't think a trail name can be "earned" on a section hike?
    I am starting my thru hike this year with my trail name that I gained on my section hike last year! But I am also open to whatever the trail has to offer me. My trail name fit me last year as a section hike but it may not fit for my thru...Go with the flow and if you feel like you need one before you hit the trail that's your deal!
    This is my one small step, this is my walk on the moon! ~Great Big Sea

Images

If you take your trail name now, you will select it based upon your intentions, beleifs and experiences. If you allow someone else to select it, they will select it based on your actions. I prefer the latter to give me a better insight on my life and impact on those around me.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

I'm a believer in getting it out there generally.
    Jacko is my nickname but it has good memories for me as it is used by my friends and in friendly environments and has a 40year history with me.
    It would take some convincing for me to take on a replacement but I'm not nay saying.

I think a trail name is something that one must be comfortable with. A name used by others without your consent/knowledge to me is just another nickname.
    When adopting a name I would think it would be distinctly preferable for it come "from the trail" but with a happy memory. I have seen many that clearly do not but I am sure people regretted them later.
    I believe many adopt a name before going to the trail in fear of getting one they don't want. My advice to all would be to relax, don't rush to name people and don't try and foist an unwanted name on someone. Pre selected names tend to be repetitive and based on whatever books or movies are popular with the hiker. To me the best names are based on events or characteristics of the hiker.

Images

Given your WB name, that's fine with me. I doubt we would enjoy communicating anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I dub thee Flatlander. Phew. That was easy.
    Brunswick is very nice, but hardly qualifies one to bestow a Flatlander moniker, lol. Incidentally, I get up there regularly to watch the daughter run track.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    I'm a believer in getting it out there generally.
    Jacko is my nickname but it has good memories for me as it is used by my friends and in friendly environments and has a 40year history with me.
    It would take some convincing for me to take on a replacement but I'm not nay saying.

I think a trail name is something that one must be comfortable with. A name used by others without your consent/knowledge to me is just another nickname.
    When adopting a name I would think it would be distinctly preferable for it come "from the trail" but with a happy memory. I have seen many that clearly do not but I am sure people regretted them later.
    I believe many adopt a name before going to the trail in fear of getting one they don't want. My advice to all would be to relax, don't rush to name people and don't try and foist an unwanted name on someone. Pre selected names tend to be repetitive and based on whatever books or movies are popular with the hiker. To me the best names are based on events or characteristics of the hiker.
    agree, nicknames happen....that's the magic!

I've worked with many "this is me cousin Jack, he's lookin for work"
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-11-2013 at 10:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i picked my own
    +1
    if he can do it, anyone can
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Be careful of what you wish for, if you want a name conveyed to you by others on the trail.

Some ladies from Bellingham, WA were immediately named the "hamsters", much to their disapproval.

A kid (trail name taken later was "the kid") needed to vomit in the van as Josh was driving us up the curvy roads to Springer Mtn at a very high rate of speed. He suddenly yelled "PULL OVER" and stepped out and vomited. When he got back in the van I told him that his new trail name was "Pull over", but it did not stick for some reason.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++