WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Mid-April Start, Gloves Needed?

I'm starting NOBO in mid-April and the temperature research I've done shows that nights can easily get into the 40's.

Question: do you recommend gloves?

I'm envisioning they might be useful for (1) early morning, pre-dawn starts, (2) keeping hands warm while fiddling with camp setup / before bed at night, and (3) unexpectedly cold weather fronts.

It can get alot colder than 40s in April (try 20-30s, I think you're forgetting about altitude, wetness, and wind). Yes take gloves. and a hat and a jacket.

Images

If bringing a pair of lightweight gloves for the first few weeks makes you feel at ease, then I'd say yes. I would send them home when the weather temps at night are in the 50's.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Stir Fry

I have done that section in April, and allthough you can get buy without gloves, if you take them you will be happy you did.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

I like carrying gloves. They are usually part of my hiking ensemble. Except on the warmest of hikes, I'll carry some stretchy synthetic or nylon running gloves. They weigh so little and disappear into my pack taking up negligible volume. My philosophy is keep the core and extremities(head, feet, and hands) warm and comfortable.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Will you use trekking poles? If so, I would bring liner gloves until Trail Days, i.e. mid-May. Lots of people have stories about freak storms and cold days until mid-May; for me, I would have wanted gloves as late as May 5, when I walked through snow and cold cold rain near Roan Mountain in Tennessee. I don't use trekking poles, though, and thus was able to shove my hands in my pockets and keep them warm.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Thanks for the feedback!

Good point about those drops in temperature. I was planning on taking a hat, fleece, and down jacket. I'll add gloves to the list, since they are negligible in terms of weight and can be easily stuffed in some small space in my pack. I will be using poles, so my hands will be more exposed - something I didn't think of at first.

I was looking at this pair:

http://www.defeet.com/733771/product...-Charcoal.html

Thoughts? Perhaps something with a little more wind resistance?

I picked up a pair of GoLite gloves on clearance today http://www.golite.com/GoLite-Thinsul...ve-P46917.aspx (only size available is medium). I'm not sure how good they are, but I figure they're good enough for spring hiking and they're light and cheap. If I were hiking in March, I'd add a wind layer, but I don't think I'll do that in April.

They look de nice! Nylon running gloves don't have to be expensive. Even with your mid Apr NOBO start date, it's nice having the beanie and light wt gloves, like the ones you linked to, for early morning, before sunrise, and night hiking in case it's chilly. Believe it or not, I consider gloves to be part of my ensemble that helps me more comfortably hike longer hrs, especially when it's COLD. I also like gloves because I've gotten frost nip a few times so my extremities particularly my feet and hands get cold easily and once that way take a considerable amt of time to warm up. I definitely don't want my condition to develop into frost bite! I find, it's best to moderate core and extremity temps proactively and prevent getting overly cold in the first place.

Journal Entries
    Images

Pair of wool army surplus liners work great and cost is minimal and quality is great.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    Will you use trekking poles? If so, I would bring liner gloves until Trail Days, i.e. mid-May. Lots of people have stories about freak storms and cold days until mid-May; for me, I would have wanted gloves as late as May 5, when I walked through snow and cold cold rain near Roan Mountain in Tennessee. I don't use trekking poles, though, and thus was able to shove my hands in my pockets and keep them warm.
    Agree with liner gloves. Mine weigh about one ounce. I use trekking poles and really appreciate having these this time of year.

Garlic
    Images

Hah! I sent my gloves home in early May, in Pearisburg, and a few days later I was wearing my spare socks on my hands.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Hah! I sent my gloves home in early May, in Pearisburg, and a few days later I was wearing my spare socks on my hands.
    I was going to make this same point. I left Springer 5/1 and wore my extra wool socks on my hands during snow flurries in the GSMNP.

Carry liner gloves at least until mid June or Daleville/Troutville VA, and then pick them up in your bounce box around the end of August or when you cross into Vermont at North Adams, MA, whichever comes first. OR if they're only an ounce, tuck them away ... you can't trust the weather in the Mountains ... as we say "The Mountains Make Their Own Weather."

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

++ New Posts ++