WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping Bag weight and compression sacks

Looking for guidance on using my North Face 20degree Dolomite bags New here. How should I pack these bags or should I dump these and go for something lighter They are 3lbs 10oz each.........I am trying to get UL in my thinking. 58 liter pack max here. Thanks for any guidance.

Bags? 3' 10" ain't 'xactly ultralight. You can probably find something that weighs about half as much.

Correct any suggestions on bags that are 1/2 that weight? Packs as well Thanks!!

Images

Mountain Hardwear Ultra Lamina 32 is a lightweight synthetic bag weighing in at 1lb 15 oz.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

How much money you got?

My girlfriend just picked up the ems mountain light 0 womens bag on clearance for $81 and it's still lighter than your 20 degree bag that is in all likelihood a 30 degree bag. If you want to spend a bunch of money people around here can tell you exactly what to get, alternatively start keeping a lookout for 800 fill down bags on clearance.

Whatever bag you get, don't cram it into a compression sack. Can you say "bowling ball?" Just make sure your pack has a waterproof liner, and gently stuff the bag into the bottom. You'll eliminate much load shifting that way.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

GoLite 3-season Quilt. It's rated to 20F, which in my experience is completely accurate given that you have a warm pad and a hooded garment to sleep in. Sometimes sells for as low as $100, although it's out of stock on GoLite's website at the moment. I bought it for $200.

The down quilt packs down very small, to something like 9"x9"x9". I'm guessing your bag is more like 10"x10"x18", if my old North Face bag is any indication. That size will probably not fit in your 58L pack, or if it does, it will be so tight that it will stretch the fabric of the pack; this happened when I tried to fit my old North Face synthetic bag in a 70L GoLite Pinnacle.

Other suggestions for 20-degree packs that will be lighter and pack smaller than your current one: Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveller, Enlightened Equipment Revolution, Western Mountaineering anything. It depends on what kind of money you want to spend.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

GoLite 3-season Quilt. It's rated to 20F, which in my experience is completely accurate given that you have a warm pad and a hooded garment to sleep in. Sometimes sells for as low as $100, although it's out of stock on GoLite's website at the moment. I bought it for $200.

The down quilt packs down very small, to something like 9"x9"x9". I'm guessing your bag is more like 10"x10"x18", if my old North Face bag is any indication. That size will probably not fit in your 58L pack, or if it does, it will be so tight that it will stretch the fabric of the pack; this happened when I tried to fit my old North Face synthetic bag in a 70L GoLite Pinnacle.

Other suggestions for 20-degree packs that will be lighter and pack smaller than your current one: Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveller, Enlightened Equipment Revolution, Western Mountaineering anything. It depends on what kind of money you want to spend.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post

Man...that looks like a great bag but website says its sold out. As for how much money I have - I am on a very tight budget....everything coming from Craigslist or Ebay when I can get a deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! Keep them coming!

I recommend the Mountain Speed after researching bags last week and getting it in the mail yesterday. It's narrower cut than most mummies, and you sacrifice the full zip for a half-zip, but it weighs in at under a pound (15.5oz) and is available at a reasonable price ($240). When it came in the mail I took a nap on my back porch. It was almost exactly 30 degrees out and I was plenty warm with just boxers and socks (and a pad under me). Then I slept in it last night on my bed, and although I'm normally a little claustrophobic the narrowness was a little noticeable but didn't bother me.

My only complaint so far is that the stuff sack is comically tiny (3L) and after 10 minutes I gave up on shoving the thing in there and started searching for an ultralight compression sack online.

Normally $400, the Speed is on sale for $240: http://www.campsaver.com/mtn-speed-32-sleeping-bag
    If you're cash-strapped, they also have the Phantom, 7.5 oz heavier, for $180 too. I imagine they're comparable except for weight and price since it's the same brand: http://www.campsaver.com/phantom-32-...g-bag-800-down
    These are the cheapest prices I've found while searching over the past week (2/10-2/13)

STill looking......$$$ tight and looking at the EE quilts versus the zippered sleeping bags....anyone see any specials out there or should I go with the RevX 20 degree quilt?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Mountain Hardwear Ultra Lamina 32 is a lightweight synthetic bag weighing in at 1lb 15 oz.
    It's not exactly fair to compare the weight of a 20 degree bag to a 32 degree bag... and there is a difference.

I own and LOVE my Ultra Lamina 32. For warm weather hiking, it's pretty tuff to beat a 2#.
    But when the weather gets down into the 30's, this 32 degree rated bag is just a little too cool. So there is a significant difference in a 32 and a 20 bag.

Closer to a fair comparison would be the Ultra Lamina 14 coming in at 2lb 10oz. Doesn't beat the OPs bag by 1/2, but it is a pound lighter.

However, Ultra Lamina's are not cheap... unless you can find some 2012 models around that are still on sale.
    For example, REI has the woman's 32 degree on clearance at $170, and for the next few hours, it's an additional 25% off.
    http://www.rei.com/product/860983/mo...-2012-closeout

++ New Posts ++