WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

i bought the companion this year to specifically support the atc and aldha. sly and these orgs put a lot of time and effort into the companion. But the guide works better for me. personal preference, not a judgement on the companion's quality.

- pages

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I used to buy both just to support each - for the same reason I buy a BMT Guide and MST every time one is released. No matter how you look at it I doubt anyone is getting rich off making AT (or BMT) guides.

<I don't buy the companion anymore because I earn my free copy by keeping the section between Hot Springs and Erwin updated.. >

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Wow, is that true (or even close to being true)? Sad commentary if so.
    What is sad about not carrying a piece of completely useless equipment?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I used to buy both just to support each - for the same reason I buy a BMT Guide and MST every time one is released. No matter how you look at it I doubt anyone is getting rich off making AT (or BMT) guides.

<I don't buy the companion anymore because I earn my free copy by keeping the section between Hot Springs and Erwin updated.. >
    Thanks 10K!

Since it appears back orders are being filled, you should get the 2013 edition soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pages View Post
    i bought the companion this year to specifically support the atc and aldha. sly and these orgs put a lot of time and effort into the companion. But the guide works better for me. personal preference, not a judgement on the companion's quality.

- pages
    Of course, all sales help but no problem. It's just the silly comparisons like it's easier to remember an icon rather than an initial get frustrating.

Journal Entries

Early I said that I like the AT Guide better than the Companion, but after going through both of them to set up an itinerary, I think you are best served by using both for this purpose. In the Companion it is easy to see what services are offered at the various road crossing and cities, whereas in the Guide you need to read about the services to see what is offered. The guide offers better onroute descritptions that will help you determine where you are, but the companion offers better descritptions. Even though Davis may do both maps ??? the maps in the guides helps me find things quicker with the Icons. So as you can see when you in both in conjunction with each other as well as your maps you can have a much more enjoyable Hike IMO.
    Blackheart

Back in the day you needed to carry the ATC Data Book and one of the Handbooks. And a few people (guilty!) also carried the ATC State Guidebooks. Add the always carried 2 paperback books (and a Sunday paper if leaving town on Sunday) and I was a walking library.

Journal Entries

I think the companion is the best book since the Bible. I buy a new one every year. It's great bathroom material. That said it should come with a digital download for the mobile version that can be updated annually. I wouldn't take it with me. But I would use my phone.

Journal Entries

On thing I really like about the companion is that distances off trail to resupply services are clearly and easily visible on the 'spreadsheet'. That is it's biggest plus over the guide that has you refer to the page to see the distances off trail to the services. Besides that the Guide's use of graphic icon symbols is a big intuitive plus over the Companion's letter symbols, which are to many and similar to really use this system.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Besides that the Guide's use of graphic icon symbols is a big intuitive plus over the Companion's letter symbols, which are to many and similar to really use this system.
    LOl... I just went through that. There are about 1/2 dozen common symbols and an equal number of not so common initials. They're really not that hard to remember. Here's your test.

R (E–0.6m L, f, )
    (W–1.8m PO, G, L,
    M, O, cl, f)

answers below...

Road, (east 0.6 miles to lodging, fuel.) ( West 1.8 miles to post office, grocery, lodging, meals, outfitter, coin laundry, fuel.)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    LOl... I just went through that. There are about 1/2 dozen common symbols and an equal number of not so common initials. They're really not that hard to remember. Here's your test.

R (E–0.6m L, f, )
    (W–1.8m PO, G, L,
    M, O, cl, f)

Yes I'm sure I could learn it, but to me icons are so more intuitive, I don't need to learn them, letters I sort of do and I have had to look at the key more then a couple of times. I'm sure for a thru one would become much better acquainted with the meanings. I also realize that those letters work better for some then others, I am more of a graphic symbol person, though my ex hated that and would much rather have letters, so there is some personal inclinations and preferences in that as well.

Peace

I much prefer the Companion and I have both books (The 2012 AT Guide and the 2006 & 2013 Thru Hikers Companion).

I find the charts much easier to quickly read than having the mileage info spaced out irregularly on the elevation chart. I prefer the layout- it has all of the mileage charts for each section together, followed by the description section instead of interspersed like the Guide has. I like the fact that all text is in the same direction in the companion, so you don’t have to hold the book one direction for mileage info, and another for the descriptive town info. I also prefer the having the additional information the Companion provides about shelters and other points of interest along the trail in each section (the Guide seems to reserve description sections for town), the fact that post offices are marked on the mileage charts, the post office and hostel appendices in the back, and the to-scale town maps with grids.

I do prefer a couple of things about the AT Guide however, -it does have a handy envelope symbol next to businesses that accept mail drops in the description section, whereas in the companion you have to read through the description for this information and the section on getting to the termini provided more shuttling info. The Guide is a bit lighter.

I was a little disappointed that the Companion was not spiral-bound this year-which made it easy to tear out pages or look at thru a ziplock, but I still prefer the binding and feel of the book (size and shape make it easier to flip through the pages) to that of the AT companion. Because of how much I prefer the Companion, I had honestly thought that the reason for the Guide's popularity was that it’s easier to find (available on amazon). I'm sure that each book has it merits, and it is definitely helpful to have some kind of side by side comparison, whether in person in the pics on your blog. . .

Well actually, I guess that both books intersperse information, it's just that the guide does so by breaking down the trail into logical sections, and heads them so each is like its own chapter (Georgia, North Carolina, Great Smoky Mountain National Park, etc. I probably enjoy this not just because it feels more organized, but because I feel a certain sense of accomplishment as I finish each section as designated by the companion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Yes I'm sure I could learn it, but to me icons are so more intuitive, I don't need to learn them, letters I sort of do and I have had to look at the key more then a couple of times. I'm sure for a thru one would become much better acquainted with the meanings. I also realize that those letters work better for some then others, I am more of a graphic symbol person, though my ex hated that and would much rather have letters, so there is some personal inclinations and preferences in that as well.

Peace
    Now, now, don't argue. Sly has explained that those of us who prefer the Guide are just wrong. We simply are not intelligent enough to use the Companion. There is absolutely no room for improvement in their superior product. No need to even consider making it more user friendly, no matter how many folks suggest it.

It is just so frustrating to have to keep correcting us about our opinion.

Love both. Really enjoy being part of the Companion and ALDHA. AWOL has a great thing going as well and I also buy each edition. Great sources of wonderful information

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I buy both each year and take both with me for reasons others have stated. I'm grateful for the effort all put into their guides and agree that you can successfully hike thru or in sections with each guide. I used the Companion for the first 1/4 of the trail before I started also carrying the Guide. The only thing I found challenging was remembering the initials in the Companion as others have stated. If it was really that bad, I could take the time to copy the key down and bring it with me or rememorize it before I start my next section. But all in all I've still been able to figure out enough to get me what I need. In the Guide, I really like having the elevation profile right on the page instead of having to unfold the entire map for the section. It's also considerably lighter than the map.

To me comparing the two maps is like comparing a Red Delicious to a Golden Delicious. They're both apples, both sweet and delicious as well as healthy and nutritious. In the end, the real choice is what you prefer.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Images

Thanks for posting your write-up, Pages. Doing a hands-on comparison is the best way to choose. Anyone who does so, and prefers to keep another book can return mine for a refund.

An earlier post suggests “a reason for the AT Guide’s popularity was that it’s easier to find.” In truth, the Companion enjoys MUCH greater exposure. Both books are on Amazon, but many hikers start their AT planning by looking over the ATC website and literature that steers them to the Companion. Dozens of hikers who buy the AT Guide tell me that they didn’t start with it and switched only after learning about the AT Guide while on the trail.

There are a couple of big “cumulative” differences that can’t be shown with side-by-side page comparisons. The ATG has 800 or so more landmarks, which means many more mentions of water, trail crossings, etc… Of the hikers switching books, they cite this as the reason more often than the profile, the icons or the weight of the book. Another difference that’s not readily apparent is that there are more than twice as many town and area maps (Roan Mtn, Marion, Beuna Vista, Warwick, Falls Village and about 30 more). It’s hard to fully appreciate that until you’ve made resupply visits to a number of towns.

Images

many hikers start their AT planning by looking over the ATC website and literature that steers them to the Companion.
    I'll second that. I had a copy of the Companion before I ever heard about the AT Guide. I have both now, but I got two copies of the AT Guide this year and that's the one that's coming with me in print on the trail, although I'm also taking my pdf of the Companion.

Journal Entries

It's great that we have both and the ability to choose! I personally buy and study both along with the state guidebooks on the shelf. As a section hiker I do like the loose leaf guide (or the spiral bound Companion) for ease of making copies. Thanks for doing the side by side comparison.

Images

There are numerous points for buying each one. If you are considering a long hike on the trail what's the cost of buying both as opposed to just one? A night at a hostel or a dinner? Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion, sometimes it helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++