WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Well, I too was impressed with what bearpaw has to sell. I suspect making custom gear could set you up for complaints or dissatisfaction due to possible communication problems. Custom usually means you have to keep it and pay for it even if its not what you expected.
    Oware. No probs.

Check out Campmor. Years ago, I purchased an 8X10 silnylon tarp for a very reasonable amount. Has grommets, not tieouts and some say the method of sewing weakens the tarp. But it has given me years of service for a small investment.

Images

The Nemo Transform Tarp is a neat idea. It's 12'x12' flat tarp that converts into a triangular mid. When it was on sale, I think it was $130.

hosaphone, if you're still there, does paying for an article on backpacking light get you pdf version or ability to read it online or a copy in the mail? I don't want to pay 5 bucks and then have to wait a week for a paper copy. I have ryan jordan's book and I bet the same info is covered there ... don't know, I'll have to dig it out and look. I am old enough to be of the colin fletcher school of backpacking. The ultralight thing is going too far for me. I've flirted with subscribing to backpackinglight but much of what I could read in the forums seemed a bit extreme to me but there are a lot of good ideas there, though.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Check out Campmor. Years ago, I purchased an 8X10 silnylon tarp for a very reasonable amount. Has grommets, not tieouts and some say the method of sewing weakens the tarp. But it has given me years of service for a small investment.
    You probably bought the same tarp I did. Green, I think Equinox is the brand. Cost me $50 when I bought it but the price has since gone up to like $90. No panel pullouts, and the seam actually goes across the 8 foot part instead of the 10 foot part.

The grommets on mine are starting to tear out of the material That's a big part of why I'm looking into replacing it, aside from wanting to save like 10+ ounces and have a fancy new toy. I feel like a good storm and a not-so-tight pitch could be the end of the tarp, but I don't really want to use it until it completely fails and get soaked.

Apparently most people don't have problems with grommets, but I think in general they cause more problems than tie-outs? Could be operator error, maybe I put too much tension on the tarp or something.

hosaphone, if you're still there, does paying for an article on backpacking light get you pdf version or ability to read it online or a copy in the mail? I don't want to pay 5 bucks and then have to wait a week for a paper copy. I have ryan jordan's book and I bet the same info is covered there ... don't know, I'll have to dig it out and look. I am old enough to be of the colin fletcher school of backpacking. The ultralight thing is going too far for me. I've flirted with subscribing to backpackinglight but much of what I could read in the forums seemed a bit extreme to me but there are a lot of good ideas there, though.
    Buying the article allows you to read online.

I haven't read the book, but if you read through the forum companion thread a few people point out that a lot of the info is not new, and that much of it can be found in the book or the older article. So I'm not sure what exactly is contained in the book, but apparently Ryan thought it would be useful to update that info. Here is the intro paragraph from the new article:

Nine years ago, I published an article here about tarp camping in inclement conditions. The same piece was revised and updated for the book Lightweight Backpacking and Camping in 2005. The article you are about to read addresses the same topic, but has been rewritten from scratch to reflect my own refinements in tarp camping techniques learned through additional experience, the availability of new materials, and extending the use of tarps into increasingly foul conditions.
    The fact that you were considering a square tarp in the first place means maybe you came into this knowing more than I did. Even after all my researching, I was still pretty much sold on rectangular until I read this article. I dunno.

The gist of the article is kind of, "more stakes + more guylines = tighter canopy = better stake holding power, being able to create line of tension between any two points on the tarp is nice." Also some useful comparisons of stakes, guylines, materials, shapes of tarps, etc.

Images

The ultralight thing is going too far for me.
    Don't discount ultralight gear out of hand. If you have the money, you can get incredibly ultralight gear that gives up virtually nothing in any other way, although this depends highly on application and actual use. A low pack weight can be achieved without giving up comfort or warmth.

In this case, money creates the option for cuben fiber tarps. An 8.5'x8.5' tarp will weigh a slight 6.1 ounces. It exceeds your desired $150 budget by $80 though.

Hosaphone...when that tarp finally dies, use all that silnylon for other projects (stuff sacks, smaller one man tarp, etc). Great source of MYOG silnylon.

Etowah Tarps. You can get an 8'x10' silnylon tarp for $75. It weighs 13oz. No problems with mine. Etowah has been in the tarp business for a long time. Visit their web site.

Bearpaw has some pretty negative posts online about them and they have (or once had) a b- from the better business bureau. Most of it was service related. Thats why I asked. I'll check out borahgear... I didn't know about them. I like the looks of bearpaw's gear and their prices. I'm just a little hesitant because of some of the stuff I found.
    I have had no experience with Bearpaw or their products, other than I e-mail a few times with questions about his products and got prompt responses. I too am considering some of his products so I checked it out.

It was easy enough to find the BBB website listing with the B- rating. But the details say:

Factors that lowered BearPaw Wilderness Designs, LLC's rating include:

• BBB does not have sufficient information to determine how long this business has been operating.
    • BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business. BBB made two or more requests for background information from the business. BBB has not received a response from this business and/or has not been able to verify information received from this business.

Factors that raised BearPaw Wilderness Designs, LLC's rating include:

• Complaint volume filed with BBB for business of this size.
    • Response to 1 complaint(s) filed against business.
    • Resolution of complaint(s) filed against business.

And there was just one complaint listed. When I Google searched for reviews of the company, I found lots of positive reviews of the products and service and only one complaint (here on WB) a while back.

That seems like a pretty good track record to me. Really? a B- from BBB because they don't much about the company?

Images

I recall one bad online review about Bearpaw, but it was for custom gear, and it was a bad buyer, possibly a scammer.

Colin Fletcher advocated using a MYOG tarp and a trash bag kilt. He loaded up with weight because he went into the wilds for weeks at a time. To the OP my next tarp will be a square probably a 9x9. I currently have rectangular tarps and while they work well I wish I could set up a simple half pyramid or flying wedge more easily. I have a 10x12 which worked great for months on end with my wife. A few years back I bough a 5x7 which is too small in my opinion. 9x9 0r 10x10 would be palatial for one and doable for two.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post

A grommet pulled out of my 10x12 silnylon tarp that I bought from Campmor (made by Equinox). Stitching is fine, but grommets are not the way to go, especially on a silnylon tarp because they are pressure fit like a rivet and need friction to hold well. Silnylon is very slippery. I understand that Equinox is making some new tarps with tieout loops instead of grommets but have not verified the info.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth & Wasabi View Post
    Colin Fletcher advocated using a MYOG tarp and a trash bag kilt. He loaded up with weight because he went into the wilds for weeks at a time. To the OP my next tarp will be a square probably a 9x9. I currently have rectangular tarps and while they work well I wish I could set up a simple half pyramid or flying wedge more easily. I have a 10x12 which worked great for months on end with my wife. A few years back I bough a 5x7 which is too small in my opinion. 9x9 0r 10x10 would be palatial for one and doable for two.
    After much thought a 9x9 would probably be my choice as well. I hammock camp sometimes and a 9x9 is too small for most hammocks, but I suppose I could pitch it on the diagonal over my hammock (in which case it would be a little too long) If I ever get around to buying a flat tarp I would want to be able to use it with my hammock if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have had no experience with Bearpaw or their products, other than I e-mail a few times with questions about his products and got prompt responses. I too am considering some of his products so I checked it out.

It was easy enough to find the BBB website listing with the B- rating. But the details say:

Factors that lowered BearPaw Wilderness Designs, LLC's rating include:

• BBB does not have sufficient information to determine how long this business has been operating.
    • BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business. BBB made two or more requests for background information from the business. BBB has not received a response from this business and/or has not been able to verify information received from this business.

Factors that raised BearPaw Wilderness Designs, LLC's rating include:

• Complaint volume filed with BBB for business of this size.
    • Response to 1 complaint(s) filed against business.
    • Resolution of complaint(s) filed against business.

And there was just one complaint listed. When I Google searched for reviews of the company, I found lots of positive reviews of the products and service and only one complaint (here on WB) a while back.

That seems like a pretty good track record to me. Really? a B- from BBB because they don't much about the company?
    Yes, I agree. You did a better job of researching it than I did. Since that post I've decided that online forums like this are not really a fair place to discuss cottage industry online retailers. Thank you for correcting me.

Also, even though I only objectively stated what I had read, I regret doing the post and apologize for doing so.

www.etowahoutfitters.com Great gear, tarps etc.
    Tarps are sewn with sewn tabs, much more reliable than grommets.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

IF your "number of posts" exceed your "days as a member" your knowledge is suspect.

Yerby Ray
    Newton, NC

I like a no-sag tarp, I remedy to an extent with those elastic tie-out line tensioners. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_AeVejzmA

I prefer a "catenary-cut" tarp for the best pitch. If sil-nylon, sil-nylon will sag a bit, so, I use those tie-out line tensioners in addition to the ordinary line adjusters.

My favorite tarp is an Oware Asym1, the owner says is his CatTarp1 with the panel on one side reversed. It is a catenary-cut tarp.

It pitches well. It is asymetrical.

It covers one person, and, it covers my gear.

He has square tarps 9x9, 9.5x9.5, 10x10
    http://shop.bivysack.com/FlatTarp-TM_c6.htm
    Last edited by Connie; 12-12-2014 at 15:04.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++