WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Clothing for NOBO - May to Oct

I won't be getting my start on my thru-hike until the first week of May, so I'm wondering what kind of clothing I will need.

Do I need any cold-weather clothing or will I pretty much dodge the cold?

From the stuff I've read so far it seems that the cold weather stuff I might need includes:

long sleeve t-shirt
    long pants
    leg insulation
    wool hat
    two layers of torso insulation (sweater, vest, etc)

But are these writers just speaking from the perspective of starting in the standard March/April?

Also, I can get Under Armour and North Face and Mountain Hardware gear at a discount. Any suggestions on what's worked for you under these brand names?

Do you have a coat of some kind?

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Do you have a coat of some kind?
    Fellow Tennessean! I'm in Nashville, used to work in Smithville.

Well, I have an old ski jacket, but that's about it. That's pretty much why I was asking. I haven't bought any of my clothing yet.

Starting at Springer in early May? It seems to me that you wouldn't need much in the way of cold weather clothes until you hit VT or NH sometime in early September. Certainly leg insulation seems like overkill until you hit the Whites, and even then... Same with the second layer of torso insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    Starting at Springer in early May? It seems to me that you wouldn't need much in the way of cold weather clothes until you hit VT or NH sometime in early September. Certainly leg insulation seems like overkill until you hit the Whites, and even then... Same with the second layer of torso insulation.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. So is it pretty chili up North in the late summer?

Quote Originally Posted by sdisser View Post
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. So is it pretty chili up North in the late summer?
    And by chili I mean chilly

I've had sleet on one occasion in the White Mountains in June. Rain can be nasty cold, too. If it isn't 32 degrees F, it doesn't matter with all that wind. I was hiking in a different area of the Whites years ago when a man who was younger than I am now perished in a rainstorm when he lost the hat from his balding head. The temperature was in the 50s with wind.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I've had sleet on one occasion in the White Mountains in June. Rain can be nasty cold, too. If it isn't 32 degrees F, it doesn't matter with all that wind. I was hiking in a different area of the Whites years ago when a man who was younger than I am now perished in a rainstorm when he lost the hat from his balding head. The temperature was in the 50s with wind.
    Whoa. Now that puts things in perspective a little.

++ New Posts ++