WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I like keeping all of my gear inside of my pack in separate bags, most are waterproof, keeps my stuff organized and dry.

Pack cover as well, the last thing I want is a totally soaked pack and lugging more weight. Last section hike it rained for 6 days in a row in Vermont, no views which was a bummer..............but my gear stayed pretty dry.

I am at about 30-32 lbs all in, the weight of these bags is negligible and for me, worth it...........

Here's a cheap secret for you that works: a turkey baster bag.
    Very tough, waterproof, large enough for sleeping bag, easily sealed, and did I say, cheap?
    Of course, use a pack cover, but don't count on them for much help.

Keep in mind, walmart has "dry bags" for CHEAP. I got a package of 3, all different sizes for like 7$. They made it the whole way, i lined with a trash compactor bag, and had a pack cover, and poncho. I got rid of the pack cover about 3/4 of the way through, and just used my poncho over the bag. I will say the compactor bag should be close to non-negotiable for 95% of hikers. All my gear got wet once in 5 months, and that was my doing. Poorly stored at night while stealthing along the trail, and slept in a puddle due to putting my hammock up in the rain in the dark improperly. every other rain, everything was dry minus the actual pack. pack covers are basically worthless if it rains all day or 5.

Another couple of suggestions about walmart, they have cheap treking poles for those who are unsure about using them, its a cheap way to discover if you like them or not. You will find you love them and will be willing to spend the money for good ones. REI will replace broken poles without question. My headlamp was no longer after week 3 and I got a 15$ coleman headlamp at walmart in Gorum NH and it worked perfectly. Remember all your gear doesnt have to cost a boat(though you may wana sell the boat anyway). it just has to do a job.

REI sells cheap and expensive gear, but they have an amazing return policy. Use it dont abuse it. I bought a nice pair of zip off pants from them and they tore and wore out, so I mailed them home, my friend exchanged them and mailed them back in a food box.

I dont suggest this, but I know a thru hiker in 2012 that purchased all his gear from REI, returned ALL of it when he finished including shoes, pack, socks, ie everything and bought a mnt bike with the money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++