WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Good zero day schedules?

Me and my buddy are trying to figure up a new zero day pattern to keep. We were considering a 1 for 10 pattern. Anyone have any thoughts?

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Go with the flow on zeros. Get a feel for when to resist their seductive advances, know when to succumb and bask in their gentle glory.

The only time I ever planned for them was if I knew I was about to bust out a long hard section (the Whites, or the Smokies) and my friends and I promised ourselves a zero at the end (Gorham, Hot Springs) to give us a little something to reach for. Otherwise, no planning is needed. For what it's worth, I think on the whole they're more expensive and less interesting (i.e. the towns aren't as neat) up North than down South.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

zeros in the woods are a lot cheaper than in town and more restfull
    ,as far as planning them, i think you will know when you need one.
    i have noticed a tendancy with people to try to control every aspect of their hike, even their days off.
    schedules, in my opinion, are for working people

Quote Originally Posted by ConstableCuffe View Post
    Me and my buddy are trying to figure up a new zero day pattern to keep. We were considering a 1 for 10 pattern. Anyone have any thoughts?
    NO schedules on a long hike. they don't work

Just do what you need to do (groceries, laundry) then what you want to do (movies, AYCE, veg in hotel, water park/rafting).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    + 1

Peace
    Last edited by Starchild; 01-30-2013 at 08:47.

Most folks like to take care of business on a zero like eat, do laundry, eat, buy groceries, eat and repair gear. Did I mention eat? This is alot easier in towns. Town don't come on a schedule.

Journal Entries

I think you should take a zero when you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I think you should take a zero when you need it.
    or want it

Depends on the weather as well.

Sometimes it has to do with when you arrive in town - if you arrive early in the day, you can walk a few miles in to town, do all your chores, eat a couple of meals plus some ice cream, and then either leave or spend the night in town as mood, weather, and finances dictate. Sometimes you'll arrive in the afternoon and you may not have time to do all the things you need to do that day, so you'll stay a second to finish up and get some rest. One problem with town days is they aren't necessarily all that restful. Sometimes you'll want to do something non-trail related - like go to a movie, or go rafting or visit DC or NY. It may be that you take a day off because a partner needs something shipped to them, and you have to wait a day or two. Sometimes you'll want a zero because the weather is miserable, either really cold, wet or hot and humid. Sometimes you want to take a zero, or a second zero, because of physical problems (blisters, chaffing, tendonitis, stomach upset) and sometimes just because you're tired. I found on all my hikes that I tended to take more zero days in the beginning, when my body was getting used to the trail, and fewer in the second half as I got stronger and more used to the lifestyle. As the weather got better, I was also more likely to go in and out of town quickly and spend a little more time resting by a lake or stream.

Bottom line, don't plan your zeroes now, let the circumstances you encounter on the trail tell you when it's time for a break. Until you're there, it can be hard to know how much time you will want to spend in town. A lot of people think they'll never need days off, until they experience several days of rain/snow/sleet or extreme heat. You don't know how much you'll find yourself needing to eat to rebuild your reserves, or how important getting a break from the daily grind will be. So don't worry about it now.

Creating a schedule can be a good way to learn about the trail, but once you are actually on the trail, chances are you'll throw it out, because trail reality will force changes. When I hiked, I found that I could actually hike more miles than I planned each day. So, while I took more days off than I ever imagined, I also ended up finishing my hikes sooner than expected. It balances out, as long as you don't have too ambitious a schedule.

Images

I suggest Neros vs Zeros most of the time because you get about the same rest and get some miles too: Example, wake at camp / shelter, walk 6 miles to town, have lunch, get hostel / room, do laundry, shop, grab beer, dinner, sleep - out in the morning - - you still booked between 1/2 and 1/3 of your typical day without much effort - - 2 to 3 hours in the morning.

Full Zeros during the week at shelters (when the weekenders are not around are fun - -true living in the woods - - cook some good food - - make some art, play some music - - a creek for swimming doesn't suck either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    He is 100 percent right, dont plan much beyond the next day..... you will enjoy it alot more.

Images

While I would agree with not doing a schedule for a thru hike under normal circumstances, many of the comments around not being able to have a schedule is not universally true. I was within a day or two of my thoroughly laid out schedule at all times and finished within hours of my target. However, unless you are very experienced, there is little chance that you will know when you need or want a zero. One factor not mentioned is if you hike with a group there could be incredible pressure to take a zero just to stay with a group. One other point..... You may find that zeros are for everyone. I very likely would not take a full zero if I were doing another thru. Half mile neros were more than enough to meet my needs without getting restless.

The only thing I have planned is my start date. I plan to just let the trail dictate my days off for me. Can't wait to get on the trail. March 15th can't come soon enough.

I've always liked doing something like 25-30 miles into town, then take a zero the next day. Still get a day off, still get the mileage in. Neros are great, camp just before the road, then head into town early the next day.

All my hikes are based on 6 day weeks, so a 1-7 ratio, I find this works out on average.

To be honest we would have never thought of doing neros. Really like that idea. Also glad to know we can be quite relaxed on how we do it. Thanks guys

Images

I find it almost impossible to keep a schedule that's more than a few days out.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    Go with the flow on zeros. Get a feel for when to resist their seductive advances, know when to succumb and bask in their gentle glory.

The only time I ever planned for them was if I knew I was about to bust out a long hard section (the Whites, or the Smokies) and my friends and I promised ourselves a zero at the end (Gorham, Hot Springs) to give us a little something to reach for. Otherwise, no planning is needed. For what it's worth, I think on the whole they're more expensive and less interesting (i.e. the towns aren't as neat) up North than down South.
    Excellent points. I agree. (Especially the sentence that i highlighted).

You have to resist the temptation of taking too many and too often (if you intend to make any progress). However, our bodies need some rest if they are going to perform at their peak. Sometimes, the period of time between zero days will vary slightly--depending upon terrain, pack weight, number of miles hiked per day (and what you are facing in upcoming days).
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Excellent points. I agree. (Especially the sentence that i highlighted).

You have to resist the temptation of taking too many and too often (if you intend to make any progress). However, our bodies need some rest if they are going to perform at their peak. Sometimes, the period of time between zero days will vary slightly--depending upon terrain, pack weight, number of miles hiked per day (and what you are facing in upcoming days).
    I remember how glorious it was to get into town and check into a motel, take a hot shower, eat all you can stuff into your body, do your town chores, then lie back on the soft bed motionless and watch mindless TV. Pure heaven.

Then the next morning I'd wake up and I couldn't wait to get back out on the trail. Pure heaven as well.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++