WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Springer to James River Foot Bridge in long sections.

Default Which camp shoe and why?

I really appreciate all the great advice. So here's another question for my upcoming late March NOBO section hike:

Crocs (13oz) or flip flops (5oz)?

Flip flops seem like the lowest weight choice, but you cant wear socks with them. I'm from FL, so not great with the cold weather. Aren't my feet going to freeze walking around camp in simple flip flops? Crocs give me the option of adding socks if it's cold. Am I wrong? What do you use and why?

Thanks again!

Default Which camp shoe and why?

I'll be bringing my crocs, which I will also use to cross water. It's all personal preference, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by msumax1985 View Post
    I really appreciate all the great advice. So here's another question for my upcoming late March NOBO section hike:

Flip flops seem like the lowest weight choice, but you cant wear socks with them. I'm from FL, so not great with the cold weather. Aren't my feet going to freeze walking around camp in simple flip flops? Crocs give me the option of adding socks if it's cold. Am I wrong? What do you use and why?

Thanks again!
    I wear flip flops with socks around the house every day and thata what I take hiking. Dont know if your originally from Jax but I used to run a surf shop in Neptune Beach,(Hixons) and used to sell sock made for flip flops. Now I just fit the flops on with regular socks. Comfortable after you get used to it.

Last year i used the timberland trail radler camp mocs. They are about the same weight as crocs, but store much smaller and easier. Worked well for me in camp and town.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-guide-2012-timberland-radler-trail-camp-moc-shoe/gear/16497

Images

I wore trail runners and they were comfortable enough for camp.

Images

These are pretty nice, they are comfortable and very light. http://www.6pm.com/vivobarefoot-ultr...fcTest=mat%3A1
    mine weigh 3.8oz each
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Images

Quote Originally Posted by polechar View Post
    These are pretty nice, they are comfortable and very light. http://www.6pm.com/vivobarefoot-ultr...fcTest=mat%3A1
    mine weigh 3.8oz each
    ive got these too. weightless and they protect your feet.

Images

Neither. I'll explain.

I rule out Crocs, mostly because I haven't tried them. The bulk deters me from placing an order. I like a compact and tidy pack.

Flip flops are supremely compact, especially when they pull double duty. As you said though, they don't work well with socks.

Since I want the option to wear socks, and want to avoid putting something in between my toes when I've had blisters there before, I opted for slides. The bulk, weight and price is somewhere between flip flops and Crocs.

I haven't noticed the cold much. The last time I used them was around snow at 8000 feet. I think it's because there's less air flow right at ground level, and less constriction means there's more blood to flow around and keep the feet warm. Also, the thick sole of the slides does a good job of providing insulation from the ground. I didn't do any hiking in them, but I walked around camp a lot. On one winter trip in the desert (Joshua Tree), I camped 1/8th mile from the group and walked between the group camp and my camp many times throughout the day for a few days.

Does anybody just go barefoot/wear socks in camp? That's what I've always done, but I haven't seen anybody else mention it and I don't have a ton of experience... I there some reason or risk in doing this that I'm not aware of, or do people just find it more comfortable to have something on their feet?

@Seabird: yeah I did that, my socks were often sweaty though and held on to the dirt and leaves more because of that.

I like leafteye's idea the best. After flip flops, then crocs, then some cheap slippers, I finally fell in love with slip on sandals. They were the ****. Highly recommend.
    The funniest thing, I think, about the trail, is that I was almost always so inexplicably happy. Every night I had the most bizarrely cheerful dreams.
    Late Bloomer

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Hmm. "It depends."

If I'm lightweight and not expecting brutal terrain - no camp shoes. Trail runners are comfortable enough. Ditto if I'm expecting to end the day just getting directly into my sleeping bag. I can pull my trail runners or boots back on for a call of nature.

If I'm carrying a heavy pack, expect lots of rocks, and may have to wade at stream crossings, then neoprene kayak shoes are what I use. They have a great grip for stream crossings, and I've used them to ford fresh snowmelt without screaming when my feet hit the water. And they're easy to pull on for knocking around the camp site. They're a bit heavy at 11 oz, but that's competitive with Crocs.

The things that HikerBoy posted the link to look interesting. Although I look at them, think of that snowmelt, and shiver.

The sandals I have are too heavy to tote on the trail.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I still say flip flops work great with socks if you get used to it.Course I've worn flip flops my whole life. Like I said, I wear them almost daily in the winter with socks. You just have to get used to it. Slip ons feel like there going to come off all the time to me. Crocks just look stupid.Cant bring myself to even consider them. I've never known anybody from the south (originally) who wear crocs or leather sandals. Dont know why , just the way it is.

Registered User Maddoxsjohnston's Avatar

barefoot if not cold and not wet, designated pair of wool socks if cold and not wet, and my trailrunners unlaced and loose if cold and wet

Haven't done it myself, but Injinji socks would work fine with flip flops. Would also help you Leaftye with the blisters on the insides of your toes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by etboy View Post
    Haven't done it myself, but Injinji socks would work fine with flip flops. Would also help you Leaftye with the blisters on the insides of your toes.
    Thanks, but that wouldn't help with the blisters I'm prone to getting. Mine start under the ball of my foot and eventually migrate to the front, which would then be unpleasant in flip flops.

Images

Dollar General Crock knock-offs. Mine have been very durable. I find them more comfortable than real Crocks - have less pronounced knubs on the inner sole. I found the actual Crocks hurt my feet without socks on. Plus the knock-offs are substantially lighter.

Images

Too much trash around the shelters to go barefoot. Broken glass, nails, sharp metal pieces. Your feet are your locomotion. Protect them.

I've hiked with folks who had glass cuts on the bottom of their feet from dancing barefoot at a bar in Silverton. Crossing the Continental Divide on 100 miles of the CDT in Colorado wasn't pleasant for this hiker.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I wear crocs for comfort. I have seen many flip flops left behind at shelters. You could wear flip flops with socks just get the toe socks.

Journal Entries

No camp shoes necessary for me using trail runners.

The only time I want something else is for getting up during night to pee. Takes too long to put on shoes, etc. UL thin MYOG sandal works for that.

I had never used camp shoes until I found a clearance sale on NB Minimus Zero Trail runners. I bought them for $40 and have done a little hiking in them. Mostly now I think I will use them for camp and water crossing shoes. They are 4.3 oz each.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++