WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

According to what I have been told you will have to have a printed copy.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes I just saw it on your other post, sorry. Dave Levy confirmed it, he spoke to the director. This is a royal pain, I must say.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Agreed. I don't think the park service really cares either.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I can see that for a NOBO BMT thruhiker this could be more difficult. Has anyone ever tried to get thruhiker status for BMT hikers, meaning the same privileges as AT thrus? It's around the same mileage to the park on the BMT as it is on the AT isn't it?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I can see that for a NOBO BMT thruhiker this could be more difficult.
    It absolutely is. trying to forecast when you will make the Smokies before you even start won't be easy. The last town where you can realistically get on-line before you get to the Smokies is probably Ducktown, and that is a long way off. Tellico Plains maybe. Fontana isn't really on the BMT, but is close. If I hiker got to Deals Gap and got over to Fontana, then you might be able to get a permit printed if the store there sets that service up.
    Has anyone ever tried to get thruhiker status for BMT hikers, meaning the same privileges as AT thrus?
    Yes, we have asked often. I get the feeling that the Park Service thinks if they grant our thru-hikers thru status, then any other long distance trail that enters the park would also have grounds to ask for it. Like there are dozens of trail organizations trying to route their trails into the park in the first place. It would be a minor concession for the park to make for BMT and MST hikers. It would probably only affect a few dozen people a year if they did it.

It's around the same mileage to the park on the BMT as it is on the AT isn't it?
    It is slightly longer than the AT from Springer to the Park, and the trail through the park is also slightly longer than the AT through the park. It is about 50 more miles overall to hike from Springer to Davenport Gap using the BMT than it is to use the AT.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

That's too bad about the thruhiker designation, it would be a small concession on their part and deserved as it is farther along those two trails to boot.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    This is probably the most overlooked advantage of having the new paid reservation system.
    Agreed. I ran into Boy Scout troops that lied through their teeth about how many they booked, even when reservations were free.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    There's no doubt in my mind, many times campsites and shelters were overbooked or booked without a firm intention of utilizing the reservation.

Following in the footsteps (pun intended) of American big business. Ever been bumped from a flight due to airline overbooking? I have, more than once. The Chamber of Commerce folks have made it a sad part of our culture. Maybe this will be a nudge toward correcting that unethical course.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

When I hiked the BMT thru the park I scribbled "BMT thru hiker" on the permit and stuffed it on the box.

Nobody tracked me down......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    When I hiked the BMT thru the park I scribbled "BMT thru hiker" on the permit and stuffed it on the box.

Nobody tracked me down......
    LOL, good. Unfortunately those permits are about to disappear, because I think it would be funny if a bunch of BMT thru-hikers would do that.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was looking this reservation process over. I have no idea where I might be in the Smokies as my mileage can vary. Before there were sites that you did not have to worry about reserving as they were not rationed. Now you must reserve every single night and with a date? It's crazy to try and figure that out on a thru hike three weeks before you begin. I mean I can't imagine they will have rangers patrolling all those campsites on the BMT in case you don't make your assigned site or you want to go farther.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I was looking this reservation process over. I have no idea where I might be in the Smokies as my mileage can vary. Before there were sites that you did not have to worry about reserving as they were not rationed. Now you must reserve every single night and with a date? It's crazy to try and figure that out on a thru hike three weeks before you begin. I mean I can't imagine they will have rangers patrolling all those campsites on the BMT in case you don't make your assigned site or you want to go farther.
    A voice of reason and intelligence.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I mean I can't imagine they will have rangers patrolling all those campsites on the BMT in case you don't make your assigned site or you want to go farther.

I hope not because that would be BS.

Rationally though, in my experience, most NP rangers are not hard arses. But, they don't like being lied to or played with either. They know the difficulties that this permitting process can entail for long distance thru-hikers. They also know this a new system so might be a little flexible at least in the beginning especially with thru-hikers. In GSMNP, one of the most visited NPs, the NPS HAS TO HAVE some idea who's in the back country and what campsites are being used and when. GSMNP will build allowances into their reservation system just as other NPs do. They are not ignorant of the needs of different hiking situations. Stay on or close to your hiking schedule through GSMNP, be honest with them otherwise, and they will normally work with you. That's been my experience in the 40 or so NPs I've visited. On the busier AT through GSMNP or during periods or areas of higher park/shelter/campsite use thru-hikers should really give careful consideration to their campsites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++