WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

But I don't hike for speed... I'm a 2 mph guy.

Images

Thanks Cookerhiker for helping out with your response. We welcome everyone to Kentucky's Longest Trail, The Sheltowee Trace. If we can help with info on shuttles, resupply etc please give me a call or send an email. The Trace is 25 miles longer. On January 1st we officially added the Trace "turtle" blaze to existing trail in the Big South Fork moving the Trace to the Leatherwood trail head in the BSF. We are currently raising funds - $8,000.00 - to help the NPS open 5 miles of the JMT in the Big South Fork that never got finished. When completed this will add another 15 miles we think to the Trace with plans for more.

Trail towns are being created along the Sheltowee and the locals are becoming more knowledgeable on the Trace and the needs of the outdoor community. There is a new outfitters in Corbin, there are shuttle services and hotels in small towns that welcome hikers.

Let us know how we can facilitate your journey. See you in the Bluegrass.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Thanks Traildust.

I'm sure ill have more questions but I've ordered the guide and maps and will check them out first.

Thanks 10-K.

Does anyone know about leaving a vehicle (safely) at either the northern terminus of the Sheltowee or the new southern terminus at Big South Fork?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Does anyone know about leaving a vehicle (safely) at either the northern terminus of the Sheltowee or the new southern terminus at Big South Fork?
    It's been a while, but they let us leave one vehicle at the (old) Southern terminus in the fenced-employee lot (yes, we asked first). As for the Northern end, we left an old vehicle there with no issues. Of course, we made sure to take the usual precautions- leave a half-empty bottle of oil and an oily rag visible in the back, etc. If you had to leave a vehicle in one place only, I'd go for the employee lot or one that is regularly patrolled, and let the rangers know where you'll be.

Images

10-K, For Mar 15 to Apr 15, the Sheltowee is the better choice. I hiked the Allegheny Trail beginning Mar 15 expecting early spring weather. One day coming out of Blackwater Falls SP, I decided to zero in the shelter atop the mountain as there were repeated drenching thunderstorms. Did the same thing again just north of where the trail has a missing section just north of I-64. There were quite a few days I got snowed on and one day when it started raining at night and continued the entire next day while the temperature flooded. Fords of side streams, normally mild rock hops, resulted in boot overflow. The following morning my boots were blocks of ice. On the other hand there were some beautiful days out there. Ah, the memories. You might want to check my journal for some pics of the hike and a summary in the last entry at: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11551
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Handlebar - your journal was one of the first things I read when I considered these trails.

Thanks Bati!

I'm waiting on maps for the Sheltowee now - got Taba's guide Monday - and will have more questions as soon as I can get an overview of the trail.

Re. parking, it looks to me like the new southern terminus at Leatherwood Ford would be relatively safe but I suggest that you call Big South Fork and ask them.

Coming back to this, I hiked the Sheltowee in March and am looking into the Allegehny again. I ordered the guide/maps and the Delorme Gazetteer for WV and have read Handlebar's and Mr. Ed's journal.

The
    Allegehny Trail is also on the "My Trails" map from gpsfiledepot.com. Not sure how accurate it is but when I track it in Basecamp it seems to be OK..

I guess a January hike in WV isn't such a great idea, huh?

...I guess a January hike in WV isn't such a great idea, huh?
    Having read Handlebar and Mr. Ed's journal, you've seen that a mid-March hike was in effect a winter hike, so you can pretty easily infer what January is like.

The possibility of deep snow is very likely so I advise you to be well-versed in the bail-out points as well as the stream crossings. For one thing, the ford of the Greenbriar north of Durbin is not advisable in winter. You'll note that Handlebar took the "high water" alternative.

One curious factor about the high Alleghenies is that the winter weather is more extreme than you'd expect, given their elevation. The ALT's highest point is only about 4,160' but I found it interesting that this point - the ridge of Shavers Mountain - was nearly the same latitude as the Central District of Shenandoah NP. And SNP's highest point - Hawksbill - is also about 4,100'. Yet while SNP remains mostly a deciduous forest, the same latitude in Monongahela sees a totally-evergreen red spruce forest and, not surprisingly, more snow. There's something about the Allegheny Plateau more than its elevation. I read something once about lake effect storms and weather conditions are the reason for the greatly-increased snow levels. I lived on the Plateau in Frostburg, MD for 3 winters and definitely notices more snow and colder temps than similar elevations in SNP.

Now because of the snow and winter-related activities, then facilities such as motels, restaurants, etc. are more likely to be open, especially Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls. Indeed, the former's "high season" is winter with the skiers.

Having planned a thruhike in 2010 - a hike that was torpedoed on the first day - I have a lot of logistical information if you'd like. Planning an ALT thruhike was actually fun, though challenging because of the limited resources. Kinda like the AT 50 years ago. I also have a detailed spreadsheet but it's organized NOBO. If you're hiking SOBO, I believe Handlebar may have one.

Again, the original thread can answer a lot of your questions except I don't think it covered winter per se. My trip report for my ill-fated 2010 hike is Post #115
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 11-19-2013 at 20:17.

Thanks - I've got your spreadsheet right here.

I'm planning my next hike and was considering either the Sheltowee or Allegheny trail and was looking for pros and cons of each.

There are a few threads about both here and I've read through them but was wondering if anyone who had experience with either or both could chime in with critiques and suggestions about thru hiking these trails.
    So what happened to the Pallmeto trail Hike?

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    So what happened to the Pallmeto trail Hike?
    I hiked Springer - Erwin on the AT instead.

Primarily because I didn't feel like hiking an incomplete trail with the logistical issues and road walking. It's still on my list and I will hike it at some point I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    One curious factor about the high Alleghenies is that the winter weather is more extreme than you'd expect, given their elevation. The ALT's highest point is only about 4,160' but I found it interesting that this point - the ridge of Shavers Mountain - was nearly the same latitude as the Central District of Shenandoah NP. And SNP's highest point - Hawksbill - is also about 4,100'. Yet while SNP remains mostly a deciduous forest, the same latitude in Monongahela sees a totally-evergreen red spruce forest and, not surprisingly, more snow. There's something about the Allegheny Plateau more than its elevation. I read something once about lake effect storms and weather conditions are the reason for the greatly-increased snow levels. I lived on the Plateau in Frostburg, MD for 3 winters and definitely notices more snow and colder temps than similar elevations in SNP.
    Basically, to a first approximation the first highest area coming off the lake breezes squeezes the moisture out of the air. In the Appalachian Mountains the area along the Allegheny Front snow-shadows its lee unless the elevation gets considerably higher - as it does in Western NC, or for that matter at Killington. SNP just isn't high enough vis-a-vis the Allegheny Front in WV, although its higher elevation certainly holds the snow it does receive. Prickly pear cactus is native to eastern Allegany County, MD (Green Ridge State Forest) as it is much drier than up by Frostburg not even half an hour away. McKean County, PA (Allegheny National Forest) is much snowier than similar elevation Tioga County, PA (West Rim Trail) blocked by the higher elevation Potter County (Susquehannock Trail).

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Basically, to a first approximation the first highest area coming off the lake breezes squeezes the moisture out of the air. In the Appalachian Mountains the area along the Allegheny Front snow-shadows its lee unless the elevation gets considerably higher - as it does in Western NC, or for that matter at Killington. SNP just isn't high enough vis-a-vis the Allegheny Front in WV, although its higher elevation certainly holds the snow it does receive. Prickly pear cactus is native to eastern Allegany County, MD (Green Ridge State Forest) as it is much drier than up by Frostburg not even half an hour away. McKean County, PA (Allegheny National Forest) is much snowier than similar elevation Tioga County, PA (West Rim Trail) blocked by the higher elevation Potter County (Susquehannock Trail).
    Thanks for the explanation!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++