WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

The weather can be as dangerous as others have said, so be prepared. On the other hand, in September the weather is more stable and you can get long periods of gorgeous weather. Sept. and Oct. are the best times for New England.

The end of one September, I hiked Mt. Adams, Madison and Jefferson staying at an RMC cabin. The weather was beautiful, sunny and 60F on top, but hikers who came over Mt. Washington told us that over night it got to 10F and 90 mph winds. We could hear the wind howling above us, but by the time we got above treeline both days it was really nice.

I really appreciate all of the input. Exactly what I was looking for. Mountain Man, thanks for the details. I will hopefully be sobo from Gorham the last two weeks of September. I did Maine in various weeks of September, so certainly similar.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I just did the Whites in August - - lots of fun - - I went from US4 in VT north to Pinkham Notch, NH - - I did that in 12 days - - it was about 170 miles, so roughly 14 mpd - - this would be a fairly aggressive pace for most - - p/m me if you want - - other than staying in the Dungeon at Lake of the Clouds, I didn't stay in any huts - - mostly $8 tent sites, free shelters and free camping.
    Yea there are some sweet spots to camp just off the trail in The Whites. The blue blazes are somewhat more awesome than parts of the AT. Its alllllgood though in September. You can get away with a 25-35 bag. I am still partial to my goose 15 bag in summer. Its more of a 25 now. Still pack a baselayer, a hat cuz you just never know. I did the same route. Only stayed at LOC. If you plan it and can push a little, and walk The Whites on the cheap. Just make sure you observe the "guidelines" for alpine camping.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5363715.pdf

Make sure you stay at Guyot and get a sunset and or sunrise on West Bond. Best summit in the Whites, hands down
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Scott View Post
    I really appreciate all of the input. Exactly what I was looking for. Mountain Man, thanks for the details. I will hopefully be sobo from Gorham the last two weeks of September. I did Maine in various weeks of September, so certainly similar.

Thanks again

Images

I would advise getting a larger map rather than an AT strip map. http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountain...+mountains+map something like this one. It will give you bad weather alternate routes. Between that & the shuttle schedule it gives you the option of skipping around if a storm is coming in. Presidentials & Franconia are not places I would like to be on in bad weather but places you really want to be when it's nice!! I've been on Mt Washington within a week two different years. One time was blizzard conditions , next year I was almost to hot with just a wind shell & t-shirt. I'm biased because it's my old stomping ground but it's still one of my favorite part of AT.

absolutely

The Nat Geo Map is great

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++