WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The odd Couple: where to put my down bag on my external pack

I rock the woods with an external pack and am getting ready for my first big hiking forray of a whopping 2 day 50 mile hike. My body is already expressing in painful disbelief that I expect it to carry my heavy pack and I don't even have it fully loaded. I'm trying to trim weight from my pack and thought I would start with one of the big 3 (tent, sleeping bag, and backpack), a sleeping bag.
    I now have a zero degree synthetic mummy bag that weighs 5lbs 6 oz with the stuff sack. It's and oldie but goodie and was free. I have read here about down sleeping bags and want to purchase one to save weight and save my hips and shoulders the extra load.
    I currently strap my synthetic SB into a stuff sack and cinch to the outside of my external frame underneath the pack.
    My question is, that since extra caution and planning should be taken to assure a Down SB stay dry, would it be foolish, perhaps downright deadly, to buy a down SB and continue to secure my sleeper on the outside of my pack?

Hmmm... Knee-jerk reaction here: Why isn't there room in the pack if it is only a 2 day hike. A down sleeping bag does not take up that much room and many extras are not needed for 2 day hike. If the pack is that heavy, perhaps there are many items in the pack that should not be there.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I carry a down bag in the bottom of my ext frame pack. I line the pack with a garbage compressor bag. That's what works for me and I wouldn't put anything I don't want to get wet outside the pack.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

50 miles in two days, that's a lot of hiking. I would make sure that your load is as light as you can get it- your sleeping bag alone weighs about 3 lbs. more than that of most AT hikers. There are still lots of ways to save weight, particularly on a 2 day hike...like no changes of clothes, no camp shoes, don't overestimate your food/ water needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce 2011 View Post
    50 miles in two days, that's a lot of hiking. I would make sure that your load is as light as you can get it- your sleeping bag alone weighs about 3 lbs. more than that of most AT hikers. There are still lots of ways to save weight, particularly on a 2 day hike...like no changes of clothes, no camp shoes, don't overestimate your food/ water needs.
    Great suggestions on how to save pack weight. The hike will actually be approx. 40 miles after looking at the specific trail maps for the area I'm hiking. This is my first big multi day hike. I've hiked plenty but not with a loaded backpack. I'm not sure I can even pull off the mileage of around 20 miles per day. It's hard to guage my training now, since I'm hiking in 5 inches of snow and the steps are slow going.
    I've been doing 3-6 mile hikes in hilly terrain with sketchy footing and the occasional windfall detour.
    My down bag just arrived yesterday, and I'm thinking of putting it inside my backpack and putting my tent or sleeping roll on the outside where the SB was once lashed.

Images

50 miles in 2 days with an external pack - hum - that's kind of weird - I do plenty of 25 mile days - not dissing that - why the external pack? heck- if it's only two days, why don't you just have room in the pack?

Images

25 miles a day in the winter is tough. Even doing 20 a day for me in the winter requires rigorous time management and hiking from dawn to dusk.

Anyhow, I'd put the down sleeping bag inside the pack and adjust the gear list to make it work.

Sorry, but I just gotta ask...what's your pack weight for these 2 days?

++ New Posts ++