WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Multi-Purpose Hair/Body Product

Hi everyone. Wondering if anybody has experience using jojoba oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, coconut oil etc on the AT. I love having a few ounces in my pack for dry lips, hangnails, angry skin, taming wild hair. A little bit goes a long way and some of them can even double as cooking supplies BUT that's the problem! They're technically food. I'm not sure if I believe this story about a bear licking a woman for her cocoa butter but I certainly don't want a bear sniffing around my tent at night or to attract any extra bugs.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...oa_butter.html

Also, if you think I'm a wuss, that's good for you . I'll gladly brush my teeth with Dr. Bronners or baking soda and go without deodorant but oils are my "necessary" luxury. To each their own.

Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is a good all around ointment that isn't food. Also a great fire starter.

I'd belive a story of coconut oil attacting a bear. However, a bigger problem might be with mice. I try to avoid using anything with a scent on my body. But if you want to attract critters and insects, go right ahead.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++