WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

So sad, my sympathies go out to the family.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Hi all, I'm actually working for the park service at the time, they are trying to air lift this fellow out today if the winds aren't bad, if not I'm heading up with a crew tomorrow to carry him out. Apparently he planned on hiking from the gap all the way to Davenport in one day. But the story has changed a few times. But for the past week we have had torrential downpours, it would have been very easy to screw up in that situation. Along with that tragedy, a huge chunk of Newfound Gap Road washed out, and probably wont be repaired for up to a year at least. as of right now the whole road is closed but I'm hoping the Gap to Gatlinburg will soon be reopened. I got me some hog traps up there goddamnit.

Images

Update: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/ja...-removed-from/

Still no cause of death. My guess is they will not release that until a coroner has had a change to look at him.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Update: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/ja...-removed-from/

Still no cause of death. My guess is they will not release that until a coroner has had a change to look at him.
    I was afraid it was Richard....we weren't best friends, but we spoke occasionally, and he told me last week that he was going to hike from Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap this past weekend. He was just getting into long distance hiking and was looking forward to this hike. He was a really nice guy and had a great sense of humor....very sad.

Images

Sorry to hear about your friend.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Sorry to hear about your friend.
    Thanks...I am feeling pretty bad about this because he contacted me last week asking how to dress while hiking in the Smoky's this time of year. I made it very clear to him to be prepared for the worst case senario while hiking in the Smoky's in January.....but of course weather/exposure may not have even been this issue.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I just got back from hiking in some seriously dangerous conditions (flooding) and I took a very, very, very stupid chance combined with making a very, very, very bad decision which resulted in me being stranded - I would likely still be there today waiting for someone to look for me had I not got very lucky and found a spot with cell service - but I'd still be lucky to be alive to have gotten that far.

After I stranded myself and the gravity of my stupidity set in I started thinking about some of the other calculated risks I've taken on hikes and for a brief time decided that I would never hike a long trail solo again.

A smart, experienced hiker can still do some incredibly dumb things.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I just got back from hiking in some seriously dangerous conditions (flooding) and I took a very, very, very stupid chance combined with making a very, very, very bad decision which resulted in me being stranded - I would likely still be there today waiting for someone to look for me had I not got very lucky and found a spot with cell service - but I'd still be lucky to be alive to have gotten that far.

After I stranded myself and the gravity of my stupidity set in I started thinking about some of the other calculated risks I've taken on hikes and for a brief time decided that I would never hike a long trail solo again.

We are glad you made it back safe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10-K, very glad to hear you are O-K.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    10-K, very glad to hear you are O-K.
    Yes...... so happy!

10-K, glad you made it back intact, only a little worse for wear, and maybe a bit wiser.

Images

great to hear your okay 10k.
    its a reminder to me that almost all of us have made a bad decison at some point that when we look back we see how that situation could have quickly unravelled, and just dumb luck kept us out of trouble. its also a reminder to hold judegment on some of these accidents and rescues until all the facts are known.
    s*** happens

Default Overdue hiker found dead in Smokies

Sadly, I hope they don't close this portion of the trail due the recent unfortunate events, I do enjoy sectioning this part of the park

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

Glad you're okay!

Last Monday I went out for a solo snowshoe trip. Nothing huge, just a few miles in a few hours. I decided not to burden myself with a daypack, so no CCF pad or other first aid supplies. The route I took turned out not to be very popular--no one had been on it since the most recent snowfall. Temp was in the teens. I was dressed to move and couldn't stop without getting chilled. Once or twice it occurred to me that I was violating a number of my own safety rules for solo backcountry travel.

Nothing dangerous happened and I returned home just fine.

When I got back in cell phone range one of the emails I got was from the outdoor club I'd been part of in Charlotte. The president thanked me for having arranged a Wilderness First Aid class for our members. (Taught by Heartfire, BTW. Being certified to teach WFA is one of her many accomplishments.) The day before, Sunday, one of the people on a group hike had fallen and broken his ankle so badly he couldn't hike himself out. They were in very rough terrain in Linville Gorge. Other people on the hike had taken WFA, and put it to use. While I'd been out engaging in risky activities my friend had been undergoing surgery to get a pin in his ankle.

If that had happened to me on my snowshoe trip, in the temperatures I'd been in, I would have died.

To me it was a reminder--NEVER neglect safety precautions. NEVER.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I cannot imagine the pain his family must be going through, very sad indeed.

10K so glad you were able to self rescue, I cannot imagine not making it home to my family.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    To me it was a reminder--NEVER neglect safety precautions. NEVER.
    That's why I'll never truly slack pack. I'm always going to bring at least a little food and gear to sleep in. I'll act like I might be forced to spend the night because I might be forced to spend the night. With gear as light as it is, this is a very slight burden.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    That's why I'll never truly slack pack. I'm always going to bring at least a little food and gear to sleep in. I'll act like I might be forced to spend the night because I might be forced to spend the night. With gear as light as it is, this is a very slight burden.
    That's my normal habit. I ask myself, "If dropped on the spot and could not move, what do I need to survive 24 hours?" I will return to being diligent in asking myself that question before stepping out the door.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Its happened to us too, walking in a group of 3. A trip we will never forget. Glad you are okay.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Mistakes like the ones I just made become experience if you live through them.

I'll be waking up in middle of the night for a while.

Definitely most sad, whatever the cause. It does give pause to think about how short & precious life is. Always remember one thing- tomorrow is not promised to us. God bless this young man's family in this difficult time.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++