WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Isle royale

WOW! All sorts of ideas going off in my head regarding West to East. Allow me to share:

ITINERARY # 1:

Night 1: Washington Creek. (Grab a shelter or campsite ASAP then spend day #1 doing a day hike of Huginnin Cove loop)

Night 2: Feldtmann Lake (With Sunset at Rainbow Cove)

Night 3: Siskiwit Bay

Night 4: South Desor

Night 5: Hatchet Lake

Night 6: McCargoe Cove

Night 7: McCargoe Cove

Night 8: Moskey Basin or Daisy Farm?

Night 9: Rock Harbor

ITINERARY # 2:

Night 1: Feldtmann Lake (With Sunset at Rainbow Cove)

Night 2: Siskiwit Bay

Night 3: South Desor

Night 4: Hatchet Lake

Night 5: McCargoe Cove

Night 7: Moskey Basin or Lake Ritchey or Daisy Farm or Three Mile

In either itinerary--spending only ONE Day at McCargoe Cove--opens up the possibility of spending an extra night at one of the other camp sites--OR spending just one day at McCargoe on itinerary # 2--would permit you to stay at any two of the following four (Lake Ritchie, Moskey Basin, Daisy Farm, Three Mile).

All great options!
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    WOW! All sorts of ideas going off in my head regarding West to East. Allow me to share:

ITINERARY # 1:

Night 1: Washington Creek. (Grab a shelter or campsite ASAP then spend day #1 doing a day hike of Huginnin Cove loop)

Night 2: Feldtmann Lake (With Sunset at Rainbow Cove)

Night 3: Siskiwit Bay

Night 4: South Desor

Night 5: Hatchet Lake

Night 7: McCargoe Cove

Night 8: Moskey Basin or Daisy Farm?

ITINERARY # 2:

Night 1: Feldtmann Lake (With Sunset at Rainbow Cove)

Night 2: Siskiwit Bay

Night 3: South Desor

Night 4: Hatchet Lake

Night 5: McCargoe Cove

Night 7: Moskey Basin or Lake Ritchey or Daisy Farm or Three Mile

In either itinerary--spending only ONE Day at McCargoe Cove--opens up the possibility of spending an extra night at one of the other camp sites--OR spending just one day at McCargoe on itinerary # 2--would permit you to stay at any two of the following four (Lake Ritchie, Moskey Basin, Daisy Farm, Three Mile).

All great options!
    I think I would opt for Itinerary 2 as you will want to get off and going after you arrive on the Isle and it lets you optimize your experience. The hike to Feldtman lake is pretty much a flat walk in the woods, easily done in most cases 3.5 hours. Enjoy the sunset, and get going the next morning bright and early for Siskiwit. Heading for South Desor your water source is at Island Mine C.G. which can have a lot of tannin, not bad for you, just looks like weak tea. I can't speak about the C.G.'s at South Desor or Hatchet Lake, haven't stayed at either one yet. Coming out of McCargo Cove when you get to the Greenstone you can then decide wheather to go to Moskey Basin or Daisy Farm (bail out option), I would opt for Moskey, this will continue to allow you to see the most of the Ilse, but I would start early doing this option. You skipped a night so I would say from Moskey go to 3 Mile, it shortens your day, then allows you to have a nero day going into Rock Harbor, giving you time to stop at Suzy's Cave and still get to R.H. in time to have a good selection of shelters (the Queen arrives between 11 & 12). You will find plenty of chances to talk to others on the boat, Siskiwit, McCargo, 3 Mile, and rock Harbor. By the time you get to Rock Harbor you will find folks picking your brain for info. It sure looks like a great trip, hope you have great weather.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

You are correct--on Itinerary #2--I forgot to list Night # 8----

Night # 8. Stay at one of the four campgrounds (Moskey Basin, Lake Ritchey, Daisy, Three Mile) that you have not already stay at--or stay where you are at on Night # 7 a second night) second night--personally--I would try to be at Three Mile. Next day, get up early and get to Rock Harbor early. Enjoy what Rock Harbor has to offer AND get yourself a shelter--and relax. Eat a nice meal at the Grill or the Restaurant. Maybe take a canoe ride. Hike to Scoville Point. Get a shower--do some laundry. Take a nap. The choices are limitless. If you have $$$$$ reserve a room at the Lodge a rent Cabin. (Too expensive for my tastes--but always an option)
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Taken from my sleeping bag in the morning, I my opinion a Moskey morning is a good thing:

DSC00634.jpg

As well as a Mc Cargoe morning not taken fom the sleeping bag but nice none the less:
    DSC00499.jpg

Images

Don't mean to sidetrack this thread but...

Your talk of mornings on the Isle made me recall a FANTASTIC morning at North Lake Desore campground. I got up way before my buddy, before sun-up. I spent a good hour photographing the sunrise over Lake Desore. Beautiful! I had great fun playing with aperture and shutter speed for all kinds of dramatic effects. Loved the slides I got that morning.
    Now back to the thread...
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-04-2013 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Don't mean to sidetrack this thread but...

Your talk of mornings on the Isle made me recall a FANTASTIC morning at North Lake Desore campground. I got up way before my buddy, before sun-up. I spent a good hour photographing the sunrise over Lake Desore. Beautiful! I had great fun playing with aperture and shutter speed for all kinds of dramatic effects. Loved the slides I got that morning.
    Now back to the thread...
    I did the EXACT same thing this past August.P1010823.jpgP1010842.jpg

P1010503.jpgP1010536.jpgP1010512.jpg

These were from my trip a couple weeks earlier--July 2012--at Rock Harbor

IMG_2420.jpgIMG_7228.jpg

Sunrise at the Windigo Dock August 2009 and Sunrise at Siskiwit Bay August 2010

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    IMG_2420.jpgIMG_7228.jpg

Sunrise at the Windigo Dock August 2009 and Sunrise at Siskiwit Bay August 2010
    Mistake: SUNSET at Windigo Dock in August 2009

Latest info from the Isle
    2013 greenstone:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/12klZ...=sharing&pli=1
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++