WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool Looking for gear critique

I will not be thru-hiking this year but nonetheless, still looking for a shakedown for this upcoming year of hiking. this is a 3 season list for new england hiking that does not include the clothes I will be wearing - just extra clothes in the pack. thanks for all of those who help!

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11080

My main goal is to get a golite jam 70L (could all my gear fit into a 50L you think?) and save 40oz off my current pack, but I want my baseweight to be low enough for that kind of pack.
    Then to replace the 2lb bag with a 1lb quilt
    ditch my rain jacket/pants for a Packa (13oz) for a weight savings of close to 1lb

depending on month and location i will save 4.5oz from leaving head net and ultrathon home. i used permethrin on my LT thru so thats an option, just a pain for an overnighter or weeklong
    also may not need the UL puffy unless im in the whites during the summer, worth carrying anyways?
    I could ditch BA FCUL1 footprint and save 4oz, but depending where i camp 4oz may save the bottom of the tent

I am having trouble exchanging my benchmade knife for a razor blade. cheese and sausage is a staple..i dont think a razor would cut it?

sorry for doing some of my shakedown..heady topper got me babbling

I would also love the jetboil sol Ti and save another 8oz..so with those 6 things I would be down around 4lbs. am I missing anything from my list? any more cuts I could make somewhere?

Others may have more critique than I; this looks like a fairly complete list. I'd suggest weighing the plus/minus of your replacements. A quilt would save weight, but if you roll around in your sleep, you might suffer from drafts. The Packa would cut weight, too but (so I've heard) it can be a little complicated to futz with when rain is falling. However, I agree that replacing your pack to cut weight is a good idea. I'd suggest looking into ULA Equipment's offerings-- very light weight, durable, and well made (the Circuit may be a viable option for you).

One last thing: are you satisfied with the Fly Creek 1? I found it constrictive to enter/exit, so I replaced it with a Tarptent Notch. Saved me 1 lb and its side entry is much easier for me to negotiate. My point is that there are other, lighter options out there, if you're looking.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

For the price, it couldn't hurt to check out DriDucks in addition to trying the Packa. DriDucks would also save you ~1lb.

Looks like your water system is 2x gatorade bottles and 1x 1L platy. Instead of 2x gatorade bottles, how about 1x gatorade and 1x bigger platypus bladder (like 3L)? A platy gives you more capacity for the weight, and doesn't take up space when not in use (and you don't often need to carry more than 1L, especially when you can camel up at sources).

Do you really need your 7oz phone, 5oz ipod and 4x spare batteries?

MontBell puffy saves you ~7oz and is probably warmer. $$$ though and the Bean jacket probably gets the job done, money is probably better spent elsewhere.

I'm a big alcohol fan. My pot+stove+caldera cone+cozy weigh in at 6oz and can cook a lipton side with under .5oz of alcohol. A lot more stable and quieter than canister stove. Personal choice, though, not a big difference really.

A quilt would work well for me I think. I sleep really hot and always fumble with zipping and unzipping a bag to cool off/warm up so a draft may actually be welcome.
    I like the price of GoLite stuff but its NEVER in stock it seems. I like the ULA packs too though..I will have to do some separate research to find the right one for me.
    So far I really like the Fly Creek 1. The front entrance can definitely be a pain but I am more than content with the overall package. I'm more interested in reducing weight elsewhere for now, although the Tarpents are definitely a viable option in the future! The notch looks pretty cool.

As far as the water goes, I sweat more than the average person and have always carried, and have always needed, at least 3L at a time. Both gatorade bottles would be full as well as the 1L platy (which I use with my sawyer squeeze)

I guess I don't really need the ipod. I could always put music on my phone (I enjoy music on multiday trips) but I definitely need my cellphone. It's my camera, emergency device, and gps.
    My headlamp takes 4 AAA batteries and I ALWAYS seem to burn through them because my light turns on in my pack. Which sucks because I use lithium batteries and they arent cheap. So I always carry extra.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I guess it all really comes down to how much money I can dish out!

I was thinking put music on the phone, and then bring some sort of battery pack charger if you find you want more juice. Seems crazy to have a 7oz phone AND 5oz mp3 player (and they both probably have their own chargers, etc...).

An alternative could be to carry a smaller/cheaper mp3 player in addition to the phone. I have a Sansa Clip+ that weighs ~.8oz with the clip removed, and cost $30 or so. This way you could save your phone's battery, not be as paranoid about it getting wet, etc. If it dies you just buy another one for $30, not as big of a hassle as a phone dying.

Instead of carrying extra batteries, why not figure out why the light turns on in your pack and solve that problem? Heck, this would be kind of ridiculous and silly, but worst case scenario you could even get a little tupperware container to keep it in - this would be lighter and cheaper than carrying spare batteries.

This is my gearlist for my recent 2month SOBO section hike starting in Maine from mid Aug to mid October. It has almost everything except a few ounces of misc stuff. Its a baseweight of 10.8 lbs but may give you some ideas.

My impressions of what you might change.
    Down Jacket too heavy, find a lighter one. Montbell makes some nice light ones. Mines under 6oz.
    Dump the jetboil for a alcohol stove with a .9L titanium pot.
    Rain Jacket is too heavy. Find one that weighs under 10oz. Mines under 8oz.
    Rain pants are too heavy. Look for lighter one. if hiking in warm weather, consider a rain skirt such as the one Z-packs sells. Mine is knee length so it covers my shorts but allows plenty of ventilation so you don't overheat.
    Get a lighter pack. ULA makes some nice ones.
    Consider a cuben fiber tent or a tarptent for a lighter shelter. It's no longer hard to find one under 2 lbs.
    First Aid kit can be about half the weight. I normally carry one about 2.5oz in a ziplock.
    Knife is fine though you can find a small multitool for about the same weight.
    Consider your next set of electronics with an eye for trail life. Lightweight, all take a USB charger (to reduce cords and plugs to carry), or take spare batteries.
    Never had a need for a drysack. I keep my down quilt in a trash compactor bag and let it loft to fill the interior space of my pack since it carries better full. The trashcompatctor bag doubles as a pack liner for rain, though I also use a lightweight packcover.
    I loved my Ursack Minor for use in Shelters and often heard mice playing with it before giving up but were never able to damage it. Away from shelters, I thought the extra weight wasn't really needed.
    Considre a lighterweight down sleeping bag say one from Western Mountaineering or a quilt. My down quilt weighs under 20oz.

Images

tent is heavy - have you ever considered a tarp?

2 smartwool tops? choose one.

www.zenstoves.net <----build anything from here and grab a ($7) grease pot from your local k-mart for a cook kit under 5 oz

ditch the camp towel for a bandana.

what are the 2 straps for? in tools.....consider cutting

knife could be smaller (I carry a single straight razor, with proper planning very little cutting needs to be done in the woods)

repackage the bug repellant into smaller containers (or cut all together if there wont be bugs out while you're gone)

dry sacks can be replaced by grocery bags (just be gentle) or none at all with that fancy ultra-sil pack liner

cut the z-lite in half, use your pack for padding under your legs (legs in the pack for extra warmth if your feet get cold)

I have a heavy down jacket too, but it works and I don't want to spend more money so I'm not replacing it yet.

journal can be replaced with regular paper. just enough to journal the whole trip (no excess is nice!)

driducks raingear made by frogtoggs is super light (and CHEAP!) but not very durable, but thats okay because of the price, just take care of it

whats in the "firestarter kit" - consider cutting this out completely

reduce the redundancy and extra "stuff" and you will be in a weight class where a frameless pack like the jam is okay. However I personally think that as far as a frameless pack goes the jam is about a pound too heavy. (I carried one this last season from springer to Waynesboro, VA) It's built great and served me well, but there are considerably lighter options available.
    I've seen more spine in jellyfish

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will definitely be taking them into consideration as I rebuild my gear list!
    I've decided to just build an alcohol stove and pick up a 600ml ever new pot. That will give me a cooking system around 4oz for the biggest weight reduction. at the cheapest price..

Don Ladigin's book, "Lighten Up! A complete handbook for LIGHT and ULTRALIGHT backpacking" came in today's mail.

I recommend it. I ordered it last Saturday, it was put in the mail Monday and it arrived today. A bit slow, but then USPS is going to quit delivering on Saturday, so I'm not complaining.

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Images

For summer hiking in New England, I'd replace the down jacket with a warm fleece jacket because it'll do better in rain-- think 40 degrees with wind driven rain. When it's colder with less chance for rain I'd switch back to the down. Driducks are great and light for 3 season hiking below tree line. For above tree line in New England I worry that they might be too fragile (i.e. 90mph winds) and I'd use a heavier jacket there. I'm not sure how the packa would perform in wind driven rain, though SGT Rock says its fine.

Inhaler: yes, asthma sucks.

I didn't see a cooking pot listed.

What's going on man, it's David from StoneAge. First I'd ditch the jet boil and canister for an alcohol stove, you'll save a pound easy there. Definitely go down to a 50l pack 70 is huge, like massive and you shouldn't be carrying that much especially during the milder seasons. Ula has great packs and they're good people, I fully support them and have two of their bags. I'd get rid of the rain pants, I can be a bit more minimal then some but it's my opinion that when it rains you'll get a little wet, I still carry a rain coat but never have I needed pants, even in the freezing rain on the At in early April. I'd do waht others said and go with one 3l platypus, Gatorade bottles get funky, take up space, and have bpa. You can save 5oz by going to a small ridge-rest and using your backpack for your legs. If you have the money check out the sleeping bags Zpacks makes, you can get a few ounces lighter with a quilt but I personally like having a full on bag and the zpacks 20 is phenomenal, I love mine. I'd change the tent too, if you can return the BA check out tents from six moons (have one on the way), light heart gear solo( carried on one the AT), and Zpacks, easily save 10 to 20 ounces here. if you have the cash Gossamer Gear makes some great poles. ditch the Ipod, keep the phone.

Bench made makes great knives but you can get by with a mini Swiss army knife, personally I'd rather have the better blade, it's cooler.

All the best man.

If you're selling your bench made I'll buy it

Sierra Designs has a 4 ounce rain coat which looks pretty sweet.

and Zpacks has some great cord at .5-.7 ounces.

I have a jam,gatewood cape macpac epic sleeping bag all three about 4 lbs with sleeping pad stove titanium cup with a mini bull stove and I have a montbell down everything is about 5 or 6 lbs keep it simple and light

I was thinking about selling it all and start hanging this gear won't work

++ New Posts ++