WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smaspinall View Post
    I use a tarp, a tarp tent and a hammock, and I like them equally. As Mags and Mountain Mike said (to paraphrase), it's the right tool for the right job.

In the winter, I actually prefer my tarp. It's lighter and, with the bivy to protect against spoondrift and horizontal rain, pretty bomber proof. The only caveat is that, as others have mentioned, with a tarp, it requires some judicial site selection.

That being said, I've survived nights on the JMT and the West Rim Trail with THE worst thunderstorms with just my tarp and stayed warm and dry.
    All three, tarp, tent, and hammock can be carried at once and be under 4 lbs total. I carried a three man tent for 35 years that weighs more, because it is what I had, and works solo or with family/friends. Sitting out a rain storm, cooking under a tarp, works great for a minor weight penalty. Hammock is a nice change when its warm and can be put up many places a tent or tarp cannot. Ultralight gear is the best thing that ever happened for those of us who don't mind carrying a "heavy" pack. Versatility allows comfort which makes staying out of town more appealing. A tarp can be had for the price of one night in town and weighs practically nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    All three, tarp, tent, and hammock can be carried at once and be under 4 lbs total. I carried a three man tent for 35 years that weighs more, because it is what I had, and works solo or with family/friends. Sitting out a rain storm, cooking under a tarp, works great for a minor weight penalty. Hammock is a nice change when its warm and can be put up many places a tent or tarp cannot. Ultralight gear is the best thing that ever happened for those of us who don't mind carrying a "heavy" pack. Versatility allows comfort which makes staying out of town more appealing. A tarp can be had for the price of one night in town and weighs practically nothing.
    Didn't expect someone to answer "all of the above"!

Images

I used an 8x10 tarp initially to save weight, and found that it gave me 3x as much space if not more, than my tent dwelling comrades. Worked for me, I was comfortable with it. Site selection is key!
    I've seen more spine in jellyfish

After sleeping under a tent a few times I decided that I liked the sense of security a tent (Hammock) provided. I did not care for the bugs flying around my face at night.
    Go Everywhere, Study Everything, Fear Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by "Atlas" View Post
    After sleeping under a tent ..........
    Well, there's your problem right there.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    MLD Cuben Solo Pro and a Cuben Patrol Shelter in conjunction with an MLD bug bivy or TiGoat Ptarmigan bivy are my only shelters. I can add in a Zpacks ground sheet to give myself a bathtub floor if the weather on the trip looks like it could get squirrely.
    hey mtnkngxt - we seem to be on the same page again. This is pretty much the same way I wanted to go. I am seriously considering the Patrol Shelter. You say you could add a ground sheet if necessary, but I thought the bug bivy had an integrated bathtub floor. Is that not correct? Also, if bugs are not in season, can you lie on top of the netting and just use the bug bivy as a ground sheet? I was attracted to this option as it seems the Bug Bivy gives more head room than a traditional bivy. To get even more room, I was also considering the MLD Serenity Shelter instead. Anyone know how these would compare?

I like using my Hennessy Hammock---with a bit larger than standard (and detached) tarp. Not the lightest set up--but by no means heavy.

Using the bigger/detached tarp lets me have a roomier and taller area to be under on "zero" days or on rainy days. I can cook under it. I can sit in my hammock like a chair under the tarp. I can pitch the larger tarp in some really good ways to keep out more rain in a bad storm. The netting and enclosed nature of the hammock address the bug issue. When "hanging" in my hammock isn't possible--I can then just pitch the tarp alone in multiple ways. (I can even pitch the hammock on the ground like a bivy). Using a hammock means I can set up over an area where the ground is covered with roots and boulders. Just so many different options with this combination.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

This has been very very helpful.

I love the idea of a tarp tent. The only thing is that I haven't been able to find one for a cost within my budget. Anyone know of a good one $100 or less? I'd eat the $53 I already spent on my used REI UL Tent if I could find the right tarp tent at the right price.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sdisser View Post
    This has been very very helpful.

I love the idea of a tarp tent. The only thing is that I haven't been able to find one for a cost within my budget. Anyone know of a good one $100 or less? I'd eat the $53 I already spent on my used REI UL Tent if I could find the right tarp tent at the right price.
    I think this is the least expensive. $125. It was cheaper during the intro. Production of this tent was done overseas to get the price this low.
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I think this is the least expensive. $125. It was cheaper during the intro. Production of this tent was done overseas to get the price this low.
    http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html
    Yeah, I was actually looking at that at one point. I guess an extra $25 couldn't hurt. Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sdisser View Post
    Seems like I'm coming across a lot of hikers on here saying that they will tarp instead of tent next time. Why?

What are the benefits and drawbacks of each? I have a 3 lb tent already, but am considering selling it and tarping instead.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I used a 10x10 Sil Nylon Tarp on my thru hike last year. I liked being able to have multiple pitching options for different campsites. I also used a 30ft adjustable ridgeline most of the time for setup. I simply clipped the ends to the ridgeline, and then staked out the other guy out points, and i was done. It kept me and my gear completely dry the whole trip. And as far as bugs go, i had no issue with them at all. It was my first time using a tarp, and i wouldn't go back to a tent. Another plus for me was not having to deal with condensation. It was also nice to be able to sit up and cook under it in bad weather, without worrying about burning it catching on fire. It did take a little bit to get used to sleeping out in the open, but after i got used to it, it was great.
    " Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

Hi Mr Breeze,

It's great when you find a piece of gear that works well for you. When you say And as far as bugs go, i had no issue with them at all are you saying there were virtually no bugs or that you used repellents or netting or that you are the type of person that insects don't bother?

I have a fairly high tolerance for insects, but there were nights on the AT for me where it would have been miserable without bug protection. Personally, I was good without bug netting until New Jersey.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I have a fairly high tolerance for insects, but there were nights on the AT for me where it would have been miserable without bug protection. Personally, I was good without bug netting until New Jersey.
    I have been using a bivy with and without a tarp for the last couple of years, mostly out west. The setup had also worked well on the AT until...... A trip last summer in NJ when it has extremely hot AND the mosquitoes were out. It was the first time my system really couldn't adapt. It didn't cool down for hours and the skeeters didnt go away, this was rare out west. It made me rethink that setup for the AT. I likely will continue to use the system for my AT hiking but if I were outfitting for the AT, I'm not sure I would go tarp bivy.

During my thru hike, I heard a recurring theme from some hikers that there is a correlation between people that used tarps and Lyme disease. I've never seen any actual facts on this, but I do know that one hiker found numerous deer ticks after camping at a campsite in CT. I camped there the next night in a hammock and didn't find any. I know this is weak, but this food for thought.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Choo Choo View Post
    During my thru hike, I heard a recurring theme from some hikers that there is a correlation between people that used tarps and Lyme disease. I've never seen any actual facts on this, but I do know that one hiker found numerous deer ticks after camping at a campsite in CT. I camped there the next night in a hammock and didn't find any. I know this is weak, but this food for thought.
    Very good point.

nothing is stopping ticks from crawling on to you during the night.

The main way they get onto you is by falling so in reality...... you've got a better chance of getting one on your while walking down the trail than you do when you're sleeping in your tarp.
    -Jason

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    A trip last summer in NJ when it has extremely hot AND the mosquitoes were out. It was the first time my system really couldn't adapt. It didn't cool down for hours and the skeeters didnt go away, this was rare out west. It made me rethink that setup for the AT. I likely will continue to use the system for my AT hiking but if I were outfitting for the AT, I'm not sure I would go tarp bivy.
    That is why I have a backup system. In addition to my normal bivy I have a MLD bug bivy which is just bug netting with a floor. If I think the temps are going to be too hot to use the bivy as a sleepig bag (without using my down quilt), I bring the bug bivy instead. As added protection, I sometimes spray the netting with permithrin though its probably not necessary. On the AT, if you have a bounce box, its easy to bounce it ahead until you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    That is why I have a backup system. In addition to my normal bivy I have a MLD bug bivy which is just bug netting with a floor. If I think the temps are going to be too hot to use the bivy as a sleepig bag (without using my down quilt), I bring the bug bivy instead. As added protection, I sometimes spray the netting with permithrin though its probably not necessary. On the AT, if you have a bounce box, its easy to bounce it ahead until you need it.
    How does the bug bivy work with a quilt?

I started tarping 2 years ago, and it worked until I hiked during a very wet and rainy time. Then it sucked!

I tarped due to the lower weight. For this year, I picked up a UL tent... Yea baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    How does the bug bivy work with a quilt?
    Works well with a quilt. The only issues are when you aren't using a quilt or sleeping bag when its too hot to sleep in anything other then your clothes. Then you have to make sure you don't touch the sides with bare flesh. As I treat my clothing with permithrin, having clothing touching the netting is fine since they won't bite through the permithrin. However, the bug bivy works better if you having it hanging from something rather then just drapped over you since you can create space between you and the netting. The MLD bug bivy has 2 loops, one at the head and the other down by the feet so you can hang it below your tarp or from a tree, or from your hiking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    ... the bug bivy works better if you having it hanging from something rather then just drapped over you since you can create space between you and the netting. The MLD bug bivy has 2 loops, one at the head and the other down by the feet so you can hang it below your tarp or from a tree, or from your hiking poles.
    I was thinking of using this with a MLD Patrol Shelter so the bug bivy would be suspended from that. Was also considering their Serenity Shelter. Wasn't sure if the extra room is worth a few extra ounces. Also, would either of these (Bug Bivy or Serenity Shelter) work well as a ground sheet (lying on top of the net) for time when bug protection is not necessary?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++