WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

mrcoffeect,

While you may technically be right about whether or not food is intended to be hung in the shelters, common practice of the VAST majority of the users is that it is. It is also a pretty hard and fast, unwritten rule that you do not mess with another person's gear unless you have specific permission to do so, or they are your very trusted hiking partner.

The two statements above are FACT as it exists on the AT. If you have a problem accepting those facts, I strongly suggest that you choose to camp away from the shelters. When living within a group, YOU need to conform to what is the norm, not the other way around. If you cannot, or will not, then it is on YOU who needs to alter your plans.

My position is that I'm good either way. If the majority prefer or agree to hang food out, away from the shelter, than fine, I will too. If most folks are comfortable hanging it in the shelter, than that is fine by me. I've never, ever heard of a bear causing anyone any harm by coming into a shelter for the food. Tents, yeah a few times.

When you choose to place yourself in the position of living closely with others, flexibility is the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    I don't just talk the talk. i walk the walk.
    oh brother another tough guy

Images

i might not be king. but if someone at shelter is doing something stupid, that could put others at risk i will do something about it. if you want to be dumb do it at your own expense, not at the expence of others.
    i have zero tolerence for stupidity
    thank god for stupid people. they make the rest of us look better.

Images

the excuse " but everybodys doing it" is still just an excuse for being lazy. granted there are times when hanging is not possible, but doesnt relieve one's own responsibilty for storing their food safely. And certainly doesn't give them the right to leave their food in close proximity of other hikers, while they go off and sleep a safe distance from their food. thats horse*****

Images

it's a democracy majority rules. otherwise you go pitch your tent.

i might take that offending food bag for a walk and hang it my self. And depending on how i feel in the morning, maybe leave a map so the owner can find his food.
    your worried about a 4 gram mouce but your going to screw with a 200 lb hikers food?i thought you said you hated stupidity?

Images

this country is not a democracy. Its a constitutional republic. Its a land ruled by the laws of a constitution, not a land where mob rules.

He'll kick your azz and then run from a mouse. LOL

Split from another shelter thread. I was going to leave it open and place a warning as it was getting heated. It's a bit of a dilemma though as the user agreement states
    17. Threats are absolutely unacceptable. Anyone posting a message that contains a threat to another person or their property will immediately be moved into moderated status. The posting, and all other posts made by the offender in that thread will be deleted. Please be aware that moderators can not determine when a threat is made in jest. Neither can many users; so simply do not make them. If there is a second offense it will terminate the offender's participation on WhiteBlaze. All posts, pictures, or contributions of any sort will be deleted
    Given the issue and the slight (tiny, minuscule) leeway afforded by the word might, it will be left open to perhaps have a reasonable discussion about community issues revolving around hanging food. Play nice please.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

A food bag is a hiker's personal property.

On the AT, I know there is the bear canister rule in GA. How about the Smokies these days? The fences are down, did they put out bear boxes? I think it is still a suggestion to use bear boxes where provided.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

this country is not a democracy. Its a constitutional republic. Its a land ruled by the laws of a constitution, not a land where mob rules.
    then i would look to avoid the "mob"

You will not be touching my food pal.

Journal Entries
    Images

To my way of thinking, it is pretty clear that hanging food in a shelter in most areas along the AT is the norm, and that norm must be respected.

Some people might think differently, just as some people think that reserving floor space for friends or even claiming an entire shelter for their group is OK. But those people are the exception, and would need to be dealt with on a case by case basis. Sometimes its better to let the bullies or the informed good guy win. No need to stress out in the woods when an easy fix is at hand.

That said, if there are multiple register entries of bear activity in the area or such, I think that it best to give a special accommodation to those who don't want food hung in the shelter and not go all Rosa Parks over the issue. I also think it bad form to hang one's food in a shelter -- if no one else is and the shelter sleepers object -- if one is tenting it. A bag can be just as mouse proof (more so actually) hanging from a tree branch three feet off the ground at a tent site, anyway. The only reason for a tenter to hang food at a shelter is if they themselves are afraid of bear.

Most of the time these things work themselves out. Humility is the key and not getting too wrapped up when actually enjoying things-- and sometime just keeping your mouth shut. I still have bad memories stemming from one know it all insisting that I put out a fire on the basis of my campsite being in a wilderness area. He was wrong of course, and I would handle things differently now, but it was unnecessarily ugly at the time.

In then end, a lot of us (me excluded, of course) are not nearly as smart as we think we are. Just spread the love.

Images

Let's ignore this guy who started this thread....apparently he has no idea on shelter ettiquette. His whole theory on food bags hanging in a shelter make no sense. Let's all agree to ignore any further posts from this guy into this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by barf_jay View Post
    Let's ignore this guy who started this thread....apparently he has no idea on shelter ettiquette. His whole theory on food bags hanging in a shelter make no sense. Let's all agree to ignore any further posts from this guy into this thread.
    i agree. hanging food bags is the norm in most shelters on the AT. this guy needs to camp elsewhere

Images

http://lnt.org/blog/respect-wildlife...nging-bear-bag seems to me that some folk on here find themselves more important than the trail they love. its not about the hikers. for me its about the health of the trail.

Most of the time I prefer to tent. If I'm in my tent my food is either in the tent with me or hanging nearby. I can't imagine leaving my food in a shelter that I'm not sleeping in.

I guess the same people that hang their wet clothes in a shelter then go tent might fit this category.

My stuff goes with me where I sleep. All my stuff.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Ok... I find this topic interesting b/c it is personal to me. I wasn't so much worried about mice... whatever. I can understand someone not wanting food hung in a shelter for a rodent problem as well... But, I was terrified of bears coming into "camp" at night. We were at the Walnut Mtn. shelter in NC.

FYI.. I believed (and still do) that it's safer not to sleep near or with food, so as to not attract bears & mice.

Meanwhile back at the shelter....

Everyone, at the shelter that night, was aware of my fear. They did not mind the "Spanish Inquisition" that would be [me]- asking if they hung their food on the bear pole, b4 turning in for the night. But, I felt comfortable with everyone at the shelter.

Had I not "known" everyone at the shelter, I would NOT have felt comfortable putting any kind of pressure on anyone, staying at the shelter, to hang their food or whatever.

I may have politely asked what everyone was planning to do with their food, but that's about it. If I didn't feel comfortable at the shelter, I would have moved on.

The end of the story goes like this... In the middle of the night, I realize that I hung the wrong "bag" on the bear pole. I accidentally hung a clothes bag on the pole instead of one of my food bags. Of course, I had to share.... I swear they couldn't stop laughing. Good news: NO visiting BEARS at the shelter!

Images

I accidentally hung a clothes bag on the pole instead of one of my food bags. Of course, I had to share.... I swear they couldn't stop laughing. Good news: NO visiting BEARS at the shelter!
    But the next day, a snazzily dressed bear was seen roaming the streets of the nearest trail town.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Ha ha ha…another awesome WB thread . It’s been a little while since I have posted, so I just gotta get in on this gem.

First off, I actually partially agree with the OP. In my opinion hanging food or anything else in a shelter, and then walking off to camp somewhere else is just bad etiquette. Either stay in the shelter or keep your crap with you.

Now the part I don’t agree with is the hostile undertones of the OP. If I decide to stay in a shelter I know that not everyone subscribes to the same etiquette I do, so I would just deal with it and not say anything. Hence why I never stay in shelters if I’m camping near one, and when I do camp near one all my stuff stays with me (sometimes the food bag gets hung from a tree away from the shelter).

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++