WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Georgia "Death Race"

This guy Sean "Run Bum" Blanton has planned a run that goes over the Duncan Ridge Trail and the Benton MacKaye Trail in Georgia, but hasn't even got FS approval for it yet nor did he ask either of the trail organizations about it ahead of time. It seems he is already taking entries and money for it too.

It just seems like this is a BS thing to do to me.

These trails were designed for remoteness and solitude. Not for 150 muldoons to go out and run on. So now the FS is probably going to approve it so they don't become the toad in the road and deal with complaints. Runners who don't maintain, don't hike, don't do anything for the trails (which need help) are going to end up jamming it down the throats of the BMTA and the GATC, neither of which support this.

http://georgiadeathrace.com/index.html

Apparently the race was also going to be on part of the AT too, but that got nixed because the trail is protected as a national scenic trail. So the AT which is use to hundreds of people is going to be bypassed on FS road, but the remote trails that are specifically made to so you can get some solitude get the hundreds of people and runners.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind trail runners one bit. But 150 muldoons that should be running somewhere else do piss me off.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 01-09-2013 at 10:38.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Agreed.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

His e-mail address is on the form - send HIM your thoughts, as well to the FS and any other interested parties.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

I have. I encourage others to do so as well.

I'll also say I've never protested anything in my life, but I sure am tempted to be on the trail somewhere on March 16.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

The first time in my life I have ever done something like this: http://wh.gov/PNOc
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Try writing the dude's sponsors, too. I imagine La Sportiva would not like the bad press esp based on his the past experience he has had on this board.

Races like Leadville and Hardr Rock actively work with the local agencies. IIRC, I believe some of the trail races require trail work even before getting into the race.

So, yeah, write the sponsors and emphasize the not working with the local agencies theme.

A low key trail race 'under the radar' is one thing...a full blown ultra with entry fees and such is another kettle of fish esp when the local agencies were not involved.
    Last edited by Mags; 01-09-2013 at 00:37.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Isn't there a race every year (ultramarathon I think) that involves the AT here in Maryland? I had to cancel a hike that I was going to lead last year because of it - too many people were going to be out there and we were warned that there would be no parking available for us.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

The Forest Service sent out a request for comments to stakeholders on this (or one very similar) "special" use of Duncan Ridge and Coosa Backcountry trails in June 2012 for a race to be held in Nov 2012. A similar event may have been held the previous year also.

Images

I've heard about the one in November for the DRT.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I wouldn't mind hearing about a low key event by an individual or small group where there was no money involved. That would be different. Too often these days people use economic arguments, for everything, like bringing in money makes something ok. Everything has become an industry. Eco-tourism, etc. Makes me gag.

We just had another "non-motorized" trail in New Brunswick turned in a "multi-use" trail, meaning ATVs, and a big part of the argument for it was that ATVers spend more money on their ATVs than hikers do on their equipment, so they are doing more for the economy and that should give them more say, regardless of the impact on the environment.

I'm gonna have to look up "muldoon" though.

Images

FWIW the Death Race appears to be a very new creation from the run bum. The main reason seems to be for income for him.

Muldoon is a name we used for just any person in general, but usually when talking about soldiers. Like saying "We are going to hit this town and we expect about 50 muldoons in there" or "I am going to take my muldoons running down that trail today for PT."
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    The first time in my life I have ever done something like this: http://wh.gov/PNOc

I signed your petition. I think this guy is just out to try to make money for himself from the entry fees. Even if the race does get cancelled, I'll bet he won't return entry fees already recieved. Remember, this is the same guy that tried to solicit money for 20 pairs of trail runners for speed thru attempt!! If he is part of the Sportiva racing team, wouldn't Sportiva supply his shoes? My dad was sponsored by Nike back in the 80's and he was getting running shoes and racing flats from them all the time...

Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I knew that name sounded familiar. Maybe the real reason this doesn't include the AT is because the run bum had such a bad experience with it last year.

Wow...200 entrants and he coulda sold more. People coming from as far away as Oregon and Canada.

How about a slightly different approach.
    First, list all the valid reasons why other people should be upset. A profit motive doesn't count as much as:
    - possible damage to the trail (any environmentally sensitive plants along the way?, would a runner rescue create additional damage?
    - trash left behind by runners
    - impact on current trail users
    - if permission wasn't obtained, have other things such as runner safety also been overlooked?

And then a few questions:
    1) How did you find out that they don't have permission? Which FS region/s are impacted? Do they have the budget (especially given the CR) to support this race or will funds be removed from other areas to pay for it? What is the actual cost of having the race on the trails- should EA's be done or are they not needed, are rangers supposed to be on duty for it, etc?
    If you found out from a contact in the FS, then post their contact information here for people to call and email.

2) How do you know that the trail clubs weren't contacted or don't support this?
    or more to the point, why don't I see a message on the BMTA home page noting that they are opposed to the use of the trail for any large groups or commercial events? A lot of the runners who signed up will be similar to us- enjoy the outdoors and want to protect it, but may have no knowledge that this event was approved ahead of time nor that it's opposed by the maintaining groups.

3) Do the clubs have maintenance activities scheduled for that weekend? If the clubs don't have time to clear winter blowdowns ahead of time could the race cause major erosion problems in some areas and if so, who will pay for the trail repair?

4) Do Amicolola and Vogel SP know how many cars to expect and have room for parking? Since the participants must pay for parking and "The goal of this race is to help fund the parks so if you do not pay or forget to then you are undermining the efforts made by the race to support the park." it sounds like they might not have been notified of the large influx of cars. Never mind that parking fees would go only the parks- just keep in mind that this is what the runners are reading on the website, though I suspect it means they may not know the whole story either.

5) There are 6 sponsors, some of whom are interested in keeping current customers happy and in protecting the environment. Folks should be contacting Petzl to complain about their sponsorship of the race. Is Petzl's claim about social and environmental responsibility just something that looks good on a website or are they unaware that the race does not have proper permits? More to the point-Do you have a phone number to contact them or should the corporate email be used?

Following up on these questions has a fair chance of getting better results.

I don't see the problem.
    It's one day out of the year where ultra runners (who like to do their thing on trails instead of roads) will be turned on to some good views and new trails.

I don't see anyone complaining about David Horton's race which uses part of the AT.
    Share the trail. Don't be so selfish.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I'll try and answer these as best I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bati View Post
    How about a slightly different approach.
    First, list all the valid reasons why other people should be upset. A profit motive doesn't count as much as:
    - possible damage to the trail (any environmentally sensitive plants along the way?, would a runner rescue create additional damage?
    - trash left behind by runners
    - impact on current trail users
    - if permission wasn't obtained, have other things such as runner safety also been overlooked?
    I doubt there will be any extra significant trail damage. I also have been told, and believe, that the race will be kept as clean and LNT as possible. Permission was not attained before announcing the race and (I assume) collecting entry fees. There is a meeting on this with the FS and the BMTA coming up. The BMTAs tentative position is against this use. I cannot speak for the GATC or the FS, but what I have heard is the GATC is also not happy (DRT) but the FS doesn't want to be the bad guy in not approving the course. There are plans for first aid stations, and the BMTA was invited to run one. Our position is we don't support this to begin with, and we don't want the liability/blame if someone gets hurt: "The BMTA was supposed to handle that". I haven't seen the risk assessment or the risk reduction measures planned, so I cannot say if the plan would pass muster.

Something else I think I should mention. Personally I don't have anything against trail runners or trail running. I've done some in my past as well (non-competitive stuff) and as far as I know, no one on the BMTA board does either. We don't want this to be a trail runner vs hiker thing. If 150 boy scouts were about to all hike the trail together on the same day I would also oppose it.

And then a few questions:
    1) How did you find out that they don't have permission? Which FS region/s are impacted? Do they have the budget (especially given the CR) to support this race or will funds be removed from other areas to pay for it? What is the actual cost of having the race on the trails- should EA's be done or are they not needed, are rangers supposed to be on duty for it, etc?
    I've found out through the BMTA board. I'm the director of maintenance for Tennessee and North Carolina. Unfortunately I missed this last meeting, but have been in on some e-mail traffic about this. The Forest Service region is the Blue Ridge District of the Chattahoochee National Forest. I believe they are meeting in the Blairsville offices, but I am not completely sure on the where for the meetings. The FS will have to answer those questions, and I don't know if there is an answer yet.
    If you found out from a contact in the FS, then post their contact information here for people to call and email.

2) How do you know that the trail clubs weren't contacted or don't support this?
    or more to the point, why don't I see a message on the BMTA home page noting that they are opposed to the use of the trail for any large groups or commercial events? A lot of the runners who signed up will be similar to us- enjoy the outdoors and want to protect it, but may have no knowledge that this event was approved ahead of time nor that it's opposed by the maintaining groups.
    Again, I am on the board of the BMTA, we just covered this and apparently this guy already did all this planning without consultation. I'll add to that the fact I've e-mailed him myself. He told me who he did try to contact (but not when) and never received a response. The person he was contacting (or said he was) was not the BMTA President or the director for Georgia, or the past president, or any other position that would be responsible for this. He did tell me that he was a BMTA member, but neglected to mention that the membership was put in after this started to blow up. As to not letting the rest of the world know, I am trying to get that out now.
    3) Do the clubs have maintenance activities scheduled for that weekend? If the clubs don't have time to clear winter blowdowns ahead of time could the race cause major erosion problems in some areas and if so, who will pay for the trail repair?
    I do not know if the Georgia maintenance director had anything scheduled for this time period. I know I am still trying to figure out what we are doing on this section this month and next month. March has too many possibilities for what may need fixed given what winter can/may do.
    4) Do Amicolola and Vogel SP know how many cars to expect and have room for parking? Since the participants must pay for parking and "The goal of this race is to help fund the parks so if you do not pay or forget to then you are undermining the efforts made by the race to support the park." it sounds like they might not have been notified of the large influx of cars. Never mind that parking fees would go only the parks- just keep in mind that this is what the runners are reading on the website, though I suspect it means they may not know the whole story either.
    I cannot answer those questions. I was told that there was a plan to run on part of the AT to do the route but he was already bumped off it due to the National Scenic Trails designation of the AT and put on FS roads. The DRT and the BMT do not have these at this time. It is interesting that these two trails are specifically built to be more remote and provide more solitude than the AT, but since the AT is protected, these trails will get the race that the AT won't. They may enjoy the temporary jump in use. They do an AT kick-off, but that will be the weekend prior so there is no conflict.
    5) There are 6 sponsors, some of whom are interested in keeping current customers happy and in protecting the environment. Folks should be contacting Petzl to complain about their sponsorship of the race. Is Petzl's claim about social and environmental responsibility just something that looks good on a website or are they unaware that the race does not have proper permits? More to the point-Do you have a phone number to contact them or should the corporate email be used?

Following up on these questions has a fair chance of getting better results.
    I do not know what they have been told. I do know that some of my friends are writing them.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 01-10-2013 at 02:42.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++