WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb hammock camping.

I have a ENO hammock with all the extras, under quilt, rain fly, bug net>>> get it!!!~ My problem is, the weight. of all of this Hammock hiking stuff is to be light weight, but it really isn't. Im thinking of leaving all this at home and picking up a Bivy! any thoughts... And if a Bivy is lighter and better, Im thinking it is, whats the best bivy for the trail?

Images

might be able to help with hammock weight, but i hammock, know nothing about bivy's.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Stir Fry

Use a Hammock for comfort not weight savings. A good Hammock set up will be about the same as a light weight tent. The bivy is lighter but you will have a lot fewer options for set up. If you want the lightest option just use ground cloth and a tarp. Use Cuben fiber and you can be in the 10oz range.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

What can i do to trim some fat off tis set up ? In all my hammock w/ all gear and stuff sack comes in @ 5 lbs 16oz.... shelter is shelter, is what I saying.. Some nights when i sleep in my hammock i wake up w a backache, so i have to put a pillow under the small of my back to hike the next day that 2 pillows not accounted for but blow up so not a great deal of extra weight!!!!!

Kayak Karl,
    What can i do to trim some fat off tis set up ? In all my hammock w/ all gear and stuff sack comes in @ 5 lbs 16oz.... shelter is shelter, is what I saying.. Some nights when i sleep in my hammock i wake up w a backache, so i have to put a pillow under the small of my back to hike the next day that 2 pillows not accounted for but blow up so not a great deal of extra weight!!!!!

Images

Eno with the stock slap straps is very heavy. I would go to http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/? and scroll down to the bottom to the vendors part and start looking. Lots of great gear there. I have the warbonnet Blackbird double layer 1.1 with superfly tarp 1.1 ripstop nylon and 20 deg full underquilt and top quilt from Hammock Gear M50 outer material with a the total weight of 85 oz. You can get lighter with other designs of hammocks, whoppie sling suspension and as stir fry was saying using the cuben fiber tarp my next purchase which will save 12 oz on the tarp with doors. Whoopie sling suspension will further reduce your weights.
    Good luck
    0406021701.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trading the slap straps for whoopie slings should save a little weight and make setup more tunable.
    I ain't totin that!

Quote Originally Posted by Steamers View Post
    5lb 16oz - does that come to an even 6lbs?

Don't forget with that weight you are replacing the sleeping bag in your ground scenario. My Warbonnet Blackbird (not their lightest) setup with TQ and UQ, and ripstop (i.e. not sil nylon) rectangle tarp still only comes to 4.5 lbs.
    Hammock/tarp/stakes = 2.6 lbs - about in the range of your decent solo tents. I feel i'm better off than a tent in the $/oz. ratio.
    TQ/UQ = 1.9 lbs - about 10oz less than the Big Agnes down bag I replaced. I used a foam pad until I could afford the UQ - they weigh about the same but are hundreds of dollars apart ;-). The quilts pack much much smaller than their counterparts.

I am not sure what tarp you are using. Maybe some savings there?

I originally went to a hammock for modularity. I was hiking with my son and did not want to buy a 2-person tent that I would be stuck with when going solo.

I use rolled up fleece or semi-inflated drysack for pillow or knee support.

Stir Fry

Shelter 1. Warbonnet Black bird.
    2. Home made Cubin fiber tarp, with 6 Titanium
    stakes 10.5X8.5
    3. Home made UQ, 72”X48” 8” differential cut, 12 oz 900 fill down.
    24oz

10oz
    17oz
    Total 3lb 04oz 51oz
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Images

A breatheable bivy can work with a small light tarp, but a waterproof bivy isn't very usable on the AT. (Think for a few minutes about how you'll get in and out in a downpour without getting your bag soaked.)

The Eno is a fine hammock, but not all that light compared to some others.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    Shelter 1. Warbonnet Black bird.
    2. Home made Cubin fiber tarp, with 6 Titanium
    stakes 10.5X8.5
    3. Home made UQ, 72”X48” 8” differential cut, 12 oz 900 fill down.
    24oz

10oz
    17oz
    Total 3lb 04oz 51oz
    & Top quilt?

Stir Fry

Top Quilt is also home made . Its 81”x54”, has a 4” differential cut. Material is Momentum 55, inside and out. 3” loft good to 15*-20* 15oz 900 fill down. Total weight is 24 oz.

Images

Nice set up Stir Fry. Have you looked at this water repellent Down for your DIY and what do you think of it? http://www.theadventurepost.com/all-...-is-hot-stuff/

Images

Attend a group hang in your area. You can learn alot by being able to check out the other rigs and asking why someone is using the set up the way they do. You can find the hangs at Hammockforums.net
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Stir Fry

With the tight weave of most material used for down it is actualy hard to get it wet. The water repelent down is a little redundent and not woth the extera weight no nater how slight it may be.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have done a lot of bivy with the boy scouts in the past while backpacking - I got into it when I joined OA, and because I wanted to be alone anot with some noob, I stuck to it... there are great advantages being off the ground for comfort and weight, I have sold off all the bivys less one...

1. it is not for everyone ( claustrophobic )
    2. expects to get wet or soaked
    3. high humidity with mosquitoes is a pita
    4. more attention to picking the right spot,
    5. Critter's walk right up to you. And might want to spend the night...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Thanks for all the thoughts and fore site into my hammock situation. Looks like ill be selling my eno and looking into a diferent setup.

Images

It's as much about comfort as it is about weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Hanging to me is all about comfort. The ground is just too hard nowadays.

While I'm a hammock hanger, if you are having back problems when using a hammock, I'd advise ditching it. Nothing wrong with sleeping on the ground. I personally don't like bivy's very much. A good cuben fiber tarp, about 8X10 or maybe a little smaller will serve you better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++