WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Are you suggesting a Nobo Sobo Nobo....I don't think that's ever been done......much less a
    Nobo Sobo Nobo Sobo Nobo.???

No, I'm suggesting he never hike the trail NOBO always SOBO. He should start the trail at Neels Gap and hike to Springer. Then hitch up to Hiawasse and hike back to Neels Gap and so on. After he seeing the same people multiple times he can space the flips out as needed. Remember there are a lot of quitters early on that may need some jesus juice to help them continue.

With all the money he'll have he should simply travel the trail up and down and give food and rides (assuming he has a churchmvan). I'm 100% sure he would be much more appreciated and hikers wouldn't mind his sales pitch if it came with trail magic.

I'm a full blown heathen and I enjoy conversations with religious folks when they are respectful to me. Others have mentioned banning religion/politics on the trail. If you are easily upset or offended by these subjects maybe you shouldn't be on the most popular trail on the East Coast. Grow up.

I don't know how to edit, and I don't want to offend any one, I meant to say Jesus juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairway View Post
    I don't know how to edit, and I don't want to offend any one, I meant to say Jesus juice.
    Thou shall not be blamed for puncuacian nor gramatpfical errors.

I have made this statement on here before in other threads, and was quickly reminded that no one knows for sure who and what Jesus was. While this is true, I still contend that Jesus was not a high pressure salesman, he hung out with the dregs of society and spoke to those that wanted to listen. But this is just my opinion and teachings.

if you are a donating member you'll be able to edit, a small donation is all that is needed, home page top right corner has the details....I love being able to edit some of my more redidculus first thought statements, and genal losy spellin mis takes.

Last edited by rocketsocks; 01-19-2013 at 20:14. Reason: shall not be blamed

Images

I suppose it all comes down to how he goes about it.
    Going to be difficult for him to take the standard approach.
    No doors out there.....

Journal Entries
    Images

This is a great move of support from the Methodist Church in regards the AT. Many people will tap his services and ministry on and off the trail. "Chaplains" are a little different breed of minister and usually are equipped to serve and work in a multi-faith environment(this would include people of no faith or have no faith preference). Methodists usually put out well educated ministers who are quite prepared. We always say Chaplains are ministers who work in a non-traditional environment. This sure is true here as the AT is not a traditional environment such as a church or something of that nature. Their service usually does not focus on "preaching" as thought of in the normal context although they might teach, speak, tell and "preach" at times. To those who do not want someone "preaching" at them, a "Chaplain" with the right training and prep will recognize long before you say you don't want them to "preach" to you that you do not wish this. All in all, this is a win win for the AT and the community on and around the AT. If you dont' like it I would say, just leave it alone. Don't focus on it as it I doubt it going to hurt you or something of that nature. I think some claim to be "offended" when really they just disagree. Of course, it's ok to disagree and I'll bet this Chaplain will expect folk like that and not have a problem. He will be focusing on other stuff and issues, needs, etc. I am not a Methodist, am a full-time Chaplain in the Corrections environment and am getting ready to retire end of this March and start NOBO on CDT.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

If he will carry my pack to Maine for me, I pledge here and now to convert...

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The way I see it, there are three ways this can go: 1, he ends up hiking alone, 2, he ends up with a group of other "true belivers", or 3, he becomes just another hiker who only wants to make it to Maine.
    Well if he hits the trail with $9k-10k after buying gear, I can see a fourth option. He winds up hiking with a group of people who hit the trail trying to complete it on a $1k budget hoping for some assistance

If the dude wants to hike the Trail good for him. It isn't too hard to avoid religion or party crowds on the AT. Politely ask them where they are headed for the day and set up camp elsewhere.

Wow... I wouldn't find myself running away from anyone unless I found them creepy or terribly annoying. This guy is being judged so harshly & no one knows one thing about him personally or how he rolls.

I feel people are "pushy" about their faith for 2 reasons. 1) Their faith depends on "converts", as in, they believe that they earn "brownie" points and more by winning others to their faith. 2) Personality- they have the type of personality that drives them to share in a "pushy" way. It can come from a good place or not so much.

The Methodist belief system would not allow for first reason to be the case at all. The second reason most likely will not be true either... those types are not the norm. at all. I imagine this dude is more of the type that will just be there for people that he comes in contact with... if he develops some sort of relationship then that will open the door for sharing.

If I understand his belief system, correctly, which I believe, I do. It looks something like this: We are all in the "same boat". If we care about others around us, we share. It's like merely pointing someone else in the same direction, that you, yourself, feel like, you are going, in a very polite and helpful way.

I don't believe that anyone thinks that he needs 11K to hike the trail. I imagine that he will be needing part of the 11k to keep the "home fires burning" while he's gone. Just guessing.... Other believers give of their $$ generously to those that are willing to go out and share their faith in ways they themselves are not able 2. They aren't gullible, they know exactly what they are doing.

When it comes to "Christians", I know many have become jaded. And with good reason.... An example would be ones that lure hikers in for food etc... & then requiring them to listen to their "sermon"? *shaking head* That's a really really bad idea.

Food for thought: If you studied the Bible & Christian faith inside and out realizing that "Christians" truly believed "this stuff" but yet not one of them ever wanted or even tried to share with anyone else what they believed.... What would you think of "them"?

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    . All in all, this is a win win for the AT and the community on and around the AT.
    I don't see how this is a "win win" for anyone but the guy getting an all expense paid trip on the AT. There is no lack of religious services both on and off the AT, especially down south. They are low key about it, but they will find you.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don't see how this is a "win win" for anyone but the guy getting an all expense paid trip on the AT. There is no lack of religious services both on and off the AT, especially down south. They are low key about it, but they will find you.
    Wouldn't that just be a "win" then?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    over the years it interesting to see "Full Circle" threads on Religion, If I posted what is the best bible to take on the trail? you would all give very positive posts... Post about a preacher spreading the word and we get folks bent out of shape.... given the opportunity - some of you need a little kindness in your heart, your option is "will you listen?"
    John 15:88 If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Wow... I wouldn't find myself running away from anyone unless I found them creepy or terribly annoying. This guy is being judged so harshly & no one knows one thing about him personally or how he rolls.

I feel people are "pushy" about their faith for 2 reasons. 1) Their faith depends on "converts", as in, they believe that they earn "brownie" points and more by winning others to their faith. 2) Personality- they have the type of personality that drives them to share in a "pushy" way. It can come from a good place or not so much.

The Methodist belief system would not allow for first reason to be the case at all. The second reason most likely will not be true either... those types are not the norm. at all. I imagine this dude is more of the type that will just be there for people that he comes in contact with... if he develops some sort of relationship then that will open the door for sharing.

If I understand his belief system, correctly, which I believe, I do. It looks something like this: We are all in the "same boat". If we care about others around us, we share. It's like merely pointing someone else in the same direction, that you, yourself, feel like, you are going, in a very polite and helpful way.

I don't believe that anyone thinks that he needs 11K to hike the trail. I imagine that he will be needing part of the 11k to keep the "home fires burning" while he's gone. Just guessing.... Other believers give of their $$ generously to those that are willing to go out and share their faith in ways they themselves are not able 2. They aren't gullible, they know exactly what they are doing.

When it comes to "Christians", I know many have become jaded. And with good reason.... An example would be ones that lure hikers in for food etc... & then requiring them to listen to their "sermon"? *shaking head* That's a really really bad idea.

Food for thought: If you studied the Bible & Christian faith inside and out realizing that "Christians" truly believed "this stuff" but yet not one of them ever wanted or even tried to share with anyone else what they believed.... What would you think of "them"?
    Exactly relationship building is the most effective witnessing tool. You can only influence people according to the amount that they perceive that they matter to you. But only God himself can soften someone's heart to receive Him.

As far as 11k well He's definitely ain't getting rich, though he could have a really nice hike on that much. Most likely its paying expenses that he has to pay while on the trail (mortgage, car note, feed his family, etc.)

Images

I spend 4-5 days a week in churches listening to sermons and witnessing as a funeral service apprentice. I was a devout Methodist until I went into this line of work, and have since become a confirmed atheist. I've seen the best and worst in people, and while I respect those who believe, I have little to no respect for a large number of clergymen. I see the whole thing as a ponzischeme and probably the single greatest farce in the history of mankind. The only thing worse than Christian missionaries are "Buddhists" who think that they can reach enlightenment through good vibes and bong hits. I prefer to leave such topics alone while on the trail, and would prefer if a paid representative of the church isn't out on the trail as a salesman.

Believers don't bother me as I respect their ability to believe in something they cannot see or touch, but paid salesman of faith rank up there with used car salesmen and DUI lawyers in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post

HM, in my opinion this post ranks among the most rational and clearly expressed explanation of authentic witnessing that I have seen whenever this topic comes up. Thank you.

58starter...why do you have to say grace out loud? You could say it to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by mtnkngxt View Post
    I spend 4-5 days a week in churches listening to sermons and witnessing as a funeral service apprentice. I was a devout Methodist until I went into this line of work, and have since become a confirmed atheist. I've seen the best and worst in people, and while I respect those who believe, I have little to no respect for a large number of clergymen. I see the whole thing as a ponzischeme and probably the single greatest farce in the history of mankind. The only thing worse than Christian missionaries are "Buddhists" who think that they can reach enlightenment through good vibes and bong hits. I prefer to leave such topics alone while on the trail, and would prefer if a paid representative of the church isn't out on the trail as a salesman.

Believers don't bother me as I respect their ability to believe in something they cannot see or touch, but paid salesman of faith rank up there with used car salesmen and DUI lawyers in my book.
    mtnkngxt... I totally understand how you feel. The "church" is made up of people. People are all the same. The titles and positions that people have, are all man-made. "We" like to have someone that we can see, feel and touch to represent God. (That "need" goes way back to biblical times) But as you have found out, "they" are no different from any one of "us".

Some people love to elevate themselves & we love to elevate them. But, "the fall" is painful to watch.

I believe God calls and uses people to be leaders that encourage others to follow Him but there's no guarantee that those very ones will not fail. If you look in the Bible at God's "chosen ones", you will see all kinds of examples of epic failure. Nothing has changed. This epic failure doesn't mean that God has given up on using His creation, the ones that choose to believe in Him, to share His message of love and hope.

It's His plan. I don't fully understand it, myself, but He is God so I roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    HM, in my opinion this post ranks among the most rational and clearly expressed explanation of authentic witnessing that I have seen whenever this topic comes up. Thank you.
    Your welcome TW and thank you. I feel so inadequate when it comes to typing out my thoughts and feelings.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think that it is obvious, although we don't wish to admit it that anyone with a view or opinion may be obnoxious, rude, pushy, preachy, etc., not just ministers. Now-a-days it seems that there is a lot more non-religious views and opinons being pushed by preachy people. Pushed and forced upon others and so it seems a little ridiculous and absurd to single out ministers, preachers, pastors, chaplains as being pushy and etc.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I am a Christian and here is my 2 cents:

1) The Bible was written to me, not the other guy. Many bad stereotypes have been built because many "Christians" believe God's Word is a club to beat the other guy into submission, rather than instruction to themselves.
    2) If a person studies the Bible they will find out that they are still sinners regardless of their commitment to God. Many "Christians" forget this fact. Many non-Christians see the hypocrisy. This action gives logic to them not listening to said "Christians".
    3) No person has ever saved any other person. A Christian can plant and water, he ought to be instant in season and out of season, but God gives the increase. Too many "Christians" are looking for that next notch in their belt to make themselves feel good in front of other Christians.
    4) Your eternal destination is the most important thing you will ever face. It is hard to put in acceptable words how important it is that you don't just act like a know-it-all or a tough guy. I would want to be pretty sure of my position. I wouldn't want my inflated words played back to me on the judgement day.
    5) Stop being a hypocrite. If you claim Christians are bad because they prejudge, then how can you in good conscious prejudge this guy. Yes, many "Christians" prejudge. Be better than them. Don't judge him. Who knows? Maybe he has it together.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Since this is turning into a religious discussion, here's my view...

God was created in mans image. To think otherwise is exceptionally vain of us, isn't it. There are pleanty of other intelligent and feeling critters in this world, but since we can talk and make things with our hands, that some how makes us better?

The concept of God is the idealized version of man and provides a moral framework of how we should behave. God is not going to save you, you can only save yourself by being the best and most decent human being you can. People need to have faith in themselfs not some external, mystical figure. Now pass over that bong...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Since this is turning into a religious discussion, here's my view...

God was created in mans image. To think otherwise is exceptionally vain of us, isn't it. There are pleanty of other intelligent and feeling critters in this world, but since we can talk and make things with our hands, that some how makes us better?

The concept of God is the idealized version of man and provides a moral framework of how we should behave. God is not going to save you, you can only save yourself by being the best and most decent human being you can. People need to have faith in themselfs not some external, mystical figure. Now pass over that bong...
    Calm down. No one is coming after you. I've hauled on a bong plenty in my day. Gave it up long ago. Not because it is the great evil. Alcohol is far worse than pot (if one was to assign a scale). I can say He saved me and I ain't high. But this isn't about me or you or religion. It is about people's opinion of a Chaplin hiking the trail on a mission trip. I thought my comment criticized Christian attitudes more than atheists. I didn't call you high. Relax. Calling someone high is not an effective proof of your position.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 01-25-2013 at 14:12.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Deleted message
    Last edited by polechar; 01-31-2013 at 15:07.
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++