WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

"The church is responsible for coming up with the chaplain's expense monies and they are on a mission to raise $11,500 for the chaplain's trip."

Aha. Now I see how it works.

Images

Shouldn't we tell the church that numerous threads on WB suggest that $4k to $5k is generally considered adequte?
    I wouldn't have thought a chaplain would be one to whoop it up big in town and blow the budget....

Images

The Hari Krishna was banned from airports for a reason......

Images

As long as he's not "preaching" and as long as part of the $11,000 he plans to spend isn't on "tracts" and New Testaments that he plans to litter the shelters with.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    Shouldn't we tell the church that numerous threads on WB suggest that $4k to $5k is generally considered adequte?
    I wouldn't have thought a chaplain would be one to whoop it up big in town and blow the budget....
    A man of the cloth has to pay the hoo--err has to pay extra entertainment fees to keep them quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    As long as he's not "preaching" and as long as part of the $11,000 he plans to spend isn't on "tracts" and New Testaments that he plans to litter the shelters with.
    Well, if he left them in the privy...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBrown View Post
    Let me state I am a former roman catholic, who is now a confirmed atheist.
    Nice to meet a fellow recovering Catholic.

I can see going on a thru hike for one's own spiritual journy and enlightentment, but I just don't get people who are on

a mission to bring religion and spirituality to trail hikers from Georgia to Maine.
    Once the inital large hiker bubble breaks up, your usually hiking with a relatively small group of others. Of course, members of the group flow and ebb over time and there are always strays showing up for short weekend or vacation hikes, but really how many hikers are you going to meet to minister to? Not a whole lot.

The way I see it, there are three ways this can go: 1, he ends up hiking alone, 2, he ends up with a group of other "true belivers", or 3, he becomes just another hiker who only wants to make it to Maine.

If you really wanted to bring religion and sprituality to hikers, you'd go SOBO. Everyday you'd meet a new group of hikers to annoy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If this guy as able to talk people out of 11 grand to sponsor him, he may have the tools to be successful making converts. From the posts above, he won't get everyone.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I can see going on a thru hike for one's own spiritual journy and enlightentment, but I just don't get people who are on

Once the inital large hiker bubble breaks up, your usually hiking with a relatively small group of others. Of course, members of the group flow and ebb over time and there are always strays showing up for short weekend or vacation hikes, but really how many hikers are you going to meet to minister to? Not a whole lot.

The way I see it, there are three ways this can go: 1, he ends up hiking alone, 2, he ends up with a group of other "true belivers", or 3, he becomes just another hiker who only wants to make it to Maine.

If you really wanted to bring religion and sprituality to hikers, you'd go SOBO. Everyday you'd meet a new group of hikers to annoy.
    was wondering the same thing. Sobo would reach more souls. if that be the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    If this guy as able to talk people out of 11 grand to sponsor him, he may have the tools to be successful making converts. From the posts above, he won't get everyone.
    That's what preachers mostly do - get people to give them money. For Gods work of course.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

over the years it interesting to see "Full Circle" threads on Religion, If I posted what is the best bible to take on the trail? you would all give very positive posts... Post about a preacher spreading the word and we get folks bent out of shape.... given the opportunity - some of you need a little kindness in your heart, your option is "will you listen?"
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Saint Francis of Assisi quote - Preach the gospel at all times -- If necessary, use words.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    was wondering the same thing. Sobo would reach more souls. if that be the plan.
    To get maximum soul impact he needs to start in GA finish in ME while always hiking the trail SOBO. Simply do a lot of flip flops. When a new soul needs to be charmed he can simply turn around and do some preaching.

Lol...people ask me why I became an atheist, I say..I was raised roman catholic...they say oh, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairway View Post
    To get maximum soul impact he needs to start in GA finish in ME while always hiking the trail SOBO. Simply do a lot of flip flops. When a new soul needs to be charmed he can simply turn around and do some preaching.
    Are you suggesting a Nobo Sobo Nobo....I don't think that's ever been done......much less a
    Nobo Sobo Nobo Sobo Nobo.???

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    over the years it interesting to see "Full Circle" threads on Religion, If I posted what is the best bible to take on the trail? you would all give very positive posts... Post about a preacher spreading the word and we get folks bent out of shape.... given the opportunity - some of you need a little kindness in your heart, your option is "will you listen?"
    HUGE difference in the two. For the Bible question, you're just asking (presumably) for your own use. Some clown thinking he has the right to attempt to cram his garbage down my throat is a whole different matter. I don't even want to be ASKED if I know Jesus, or want to talk about God, or blah blah blah. If I wanted to know, I'd be in a bloody damned church.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

a mission to bring religion and spirituality to trail hikers from Georgia to Maine

I certainly agree. I don't fault people who have viewpoints that are different than my own so long as there is a mutual respect, but I do have a problem with people who approach me with an agenda. I go hiking for my own reasons, not to be a potential customer to a wanna be salesman. It wouldn't make any difference to me what this guy is out there trying to sell, could be Am-Way, religion or used cars, I'm hiking my hike not yours.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I guess an Amway salesman would NOT be UL.

I believe people are prejudging this person, at least to a degree. Until if he doesn't take no for an answer, I don't see the problem. And yes, I to am a devout atheist.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++