WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

If you're even thinking about it you should probably do it. In other words, many like me couldn't even imagine it, so we would say you should bring one. If you can see yourself satisfied with beef jerky or summer sausage, or peanut butter sandwiches, or pop tarts or candy bars for dinner or breakfast, then don't bother bringing a stove. If you get hungry for hot cooked food, then buy one.

Default yes

As long as you do not become obsessed with energy bars(expensive) this can work well. You can still enjoy the occasional hot meal with the advent of fire. Not every night, but sometimes you just want a warm tummy and the fire is a nice addition to any campsite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cork View Post
    I'm 32 and have been hiking and backpacking since I could walk. I've hiked a few sections of the AT but I'm currently planning my first thru-hike. To keep weight down I'm considering leaving the stove at home. I'll enjoy hot meals in towns and do without on the trail. Any honest thoughts on this? Or what about a little wood cooking if I just brought a pot and didn't have to worry about fuel. I've done this before...but not sure how feasible it would be on the AT. Thanks for all the advice guys! See you out there!
    I often go stove less on long hikes, it's not going to save you weight in my view, the weight savings will be off-set or may actually increase by eating whole food, I still prefer going stove less because you can eat anywhere, anytime, no water needed, no fuel, wind and temp is irrelevant, no clean up, etc...

Plus, a 1 liter pot is so awkward to pack, if you are worries go with a 700 mil titanium mug, light windscreen and 2-3 fuel tablets just in case, coffee , ramen, soup, etc...

Journal Entries

I concur with the previous post. Stove less is often equal to overall greater pack weight. The advantage more freedom to stealth camp. More hiking time, less obsession with finding water.

Images

I hiked about 1500 miles of my 2012 thruhike without a stove. I was fine without it, but don't think I saved any weight over getting the stove. What I liked about it is that I enjoyed the "real" food of peanut butter, trail mix (nuts), cheese, sausage, etc. I think I got more protein eating stoveless. Also, I had much more freedom and flexibility of campsites because I didn't have to camp near water, or haul cooking water to a camp further along.

However, as I hiked in PA in October it was very cold last year and I began to wish for hot food. I found a pocket rocket stove setup in a hiker box in Delaware Water Gap, so I picked it up, along with the ramen and pasta sides that were there and the fuel canister, too. I began to use it, but didn't totally change the other foods that I always liked, so it didn't save me any weight by going to lighter food, if that makes sense. The kinds of food I like while backpacking are just heavier foods, and that didn't change once I had the stove, except for adding ramen, hot chocolate and hot coffee to my meals. In the cold, the best benefit of all for my stove was heating water for a hot water bottle at night, but that hot chocolate or hot ramen after hiking for hours in the dark, cold rain was wonderful. I never cooked in the morning.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carry-On View Post
    I hiked about 1500 miles of my 2012 thruhike without a stove ....SNIPPAGE ... Also, I had much more freedom and flexibility of campsites because I didn't have to camp near water, or haul cooking water to a camp further along. .
    However, as I hiked in PA in October it was very cold last year and I began to wish for hot food. I found a pocket rocket stove setup in a hiker box in Delaware Water Gap,
    Thanks for providing an assessment of what worked for you.

The beauty of gear: You can swap out, change and adapt as the situation calls for. Having to use just one piece of gear (or system) would make for a limited outdoor experience.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

For those of you who think a warm meal warms you up at the end of the day..... the hot food isn't what warms you up.

It's the calories in the food that does it. 1000 ice cold calories is better than 500 blazing hot calories for warming you up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    For those of you who think a warm meal warms you up at the end of the day..... the hot food isn't what warms you up.

It's the calories in the food that does it. 1000 ice cold calories is better than 500 blazing hot calories for warming you up.
    I know this is true. And my next comment is not to argue, and is a little bit off topic, but may be another reason to carry a stove (or some heat generating source) in cold weather.

As an EMT I learned to remove the person (myself) from the cold, remove wet clothes (get in your sleeping bag) and apply heat (like a hot water bottle or hot hands packet) to the neck, groin or armpits because those are your largest arteries and that heats your blood, therefore your body, the fastest. Drinking/eating the heat is much less effective than applying it externally at the places I just listed.

But a 1000 warm calories is better than 1000 cold ones. It takes time to digest the calories, even quick ones from simple sugars. A hot beverage... especially one with those simple sugars like hot chocolate is extremely warming. One also cannot discount the emotional factor either. There are some who eat only for calories, there are some who like to enjoy it. Just wait until we have soylent green nutrition bars.

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    But a 1000 warm calories is better than 1000 cold ones. It takes time to digest the calories, even quick ones from simple sugars. A hot beverage... especially one with those simple sugars like hot chocolate is extremely warming. One also cannot discount the emotional factor either. There are some who eat only for calories, there are some who like to enjoy it. Just wait until we have soylent green nutrition bars.
    I get that. But I think it's a mistake to assume that there is a built in emotional advantage to eating something warm or that warm foods are better than cold folds just because the temperature is higher. A Snickers bar is just as satisfying as a cup of hot chocolate (to me...)

It's all about what you're conditioned to doing. You can condition yourself to enjoy different things - like eating something that isn't warm and being just as satisfied.

FWIW, sometimes I carry a stove and sometimes I don't. The main reason I do is because I get bored sitting around after a day of hiking and cooking gives me something to do.
    Last edited by 10-K; 02-09-2013 at 15:25.

I know this is true. And my next comment is not to argue, and is a little bit off topic, but may be another reason to carry a stove (or some heat generating source) in cold weather.

As an EMT I learned to remove the person (myself) from the cold, remove wet clothes (get in your sleeping bag) and apply heat (like a hot water bottle or hot hands packet) to the neck, groin or armpits because those are your largest arteries and that heats your blood, therefore your body, the fastest. Drinking/eating the heat is much less effective than applying it externally at the places I just listed.
    You're an EMT and I've only had a weekend of wilderness first aid so I'll defer to you on this one but we were taught that an ice cold non-diet coke would be better to give a hypothermic person than a cup of hot coffee.

Totally agree about getting warm from the outside in. Anything you ingest very quickly reaches body temperature.

Journal Entries
    Images

Cooking 10-k, heating food above body temperature reduces the energy needed to absorb the calories - source - Nova PBS.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Last edited by 10-K; 02-09-2013 at 15:49.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Noted that before myself.

In fairness, I think Carry-on was (initially) talking about the psychological aspect of hot food.

On a cold and rainy day, a cup of hot soup is pick me up for many people.

OTOH, a Snickers bar may have more calories and probably more effective overall.

Esp when you consider you have to get out the bag, go into the rain, light up the stove, cook your soup and then get into the bag again to eat said cup of soup. The Nova special is right on basic level..but not on a real world backpacking level.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-09-2013 at 15:58.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++